Wheel size??

Trying to locate the proper wheel size.  Tires are 295 80r 22.5.  I'm finding 8.25 or 9.00 x22.5.  Does anyone know the size for these tires?  Will both sizes work?  Cheaper to go with the 8.25's if they will work, which I'm guessing they would.

Second thing, I'm needing new steer wheels.  Mine have some terrible looking corrosion around all the stud holes.  Both front wheels are showing what ever the crap is but the rears are fine.  If your wheels have had this happen was there a reason or a way of preventing this from happening in the first place? Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

If you talking Toyo 295/80, these would work with both 8.25 or 9.0 but if you ever consider 305 or 315, you would need 9.0 rims. BTW, depending how deep the corrosion, it might be possible to sand down and polish quite easily with proper sander and polisher. Clear coated wheels are nice until years later they start to peel and there is no polishing that out. I have both and prefer simple renewable polish but thats a personal preference. 

• Like 1

Hello Woody, I am not an expert but I see some people upgrading to a 315/80r22.5 because of the higher load range but if you go to that tire you will need to use the 9” wide wheel the 81/4” wheel works for the 295/80r22.5 tire. But you will have to see if you have enough clearance on the body and suspension especially when turning lock to lock. About your wheels sometimes they are clear coated and they can chip and get oxidation then they need to be stripped and polished then you can keep up with the polishing. But if you have more money than time you can get new ones. Good luck.

Corrosion around the studs is not reason to replace your rims which are 8.25”. Clean the corrosion off and spray with the below… good on corrosion everywhere.

If your Dynasty is 45’, there’s plenty of room to go to 315s on the stock 8.25” rims on the front, reducing the need psi by -10.

39F4137F-23AB-4A51-AF04-8D71235154EE.png

Edited by Ivylog

Having spent some time at a FMCA Rally with a Michelin tire design engineer, i was informed of the following.

The 315 tire product made by Michelin was created due to the constant side wall failure of the 295, in the application of trash, garbage, truck use. Being constantly overloaded and traveling to landfills, it was a warranty nightmare for Michelin.

Initially Michelin published an inflation chart, showing inflation, using a 8.25" or a 9.00" X 22.5" wheel. 

I used 315's on  8.25" X 22.5" wheels on a 05 Dynasty also full timing 2 years, then  on a 07 Executive for 8+ years, full timing,  

Be sure to READ ALL the information on page 26, in the Michelin Brochure available by opening the link. It states that ANY RV can use a 8.25" X 22.5" wheel for the 315, prior to ANY RV manufactuered before 1-1-2018.     The brochure was published in 10/ 2021

Great information on tires and HOW to WEIGH your COACH. 

16 minutes ago, willbo777 said:

I wouldn't just assume the 315 will fit.  It will not fit on the steer on our 2007 Navigator.  Some do and some don't.

Strange as there’s plenty of room on our  45’ 08 Nav. They were tight on our 42’ 04 Dynasty

10 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Strange?  What happened to the "the one size fits all theory?"

If you mean the same size in all positions, in 09 the Signature came with 315s on the front and 295s on the rear. Once I needed to replace my 295s I went to 315 front and 11R on the rear.

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

I used 315's on  8.25" X 22.5" wheels on a 05 Dynasty also full timing 2 years, then  on a 07 Executive for 8+ years, full timing,

I ran 315s on our 04 Dynasty for 8+ years and I’m at 3 years on our 08 Nav. My research leads to the 8.25” rim can be overloaded if you put more than 115 psi in a 315 used as a single. IF you needed that much weight carrying you’d be overloading the front axle too.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone.  315's will not fit on my coach, they rub lock to lock.  This was for a new set of tires, can't recall the brand.  Funny thing was the coach had Michelin 315's when I bought it.  Went to replace the tires and the new 315's would no way make it.  My tire chart clearly reads 295's all around.  Which is what I have now, Toyo 295's.  The wheels, just the steers, are corroded and pitted around the stud holes.  Looking at used wheels on Ebay I notice many of them have the same disfigurement around the stud holes.  To remove the pitting would mean shaving at least an 1/16th of an inch to get to smooth.  So it's going to be new wheels one of these days.  I hate to have the new wheels end up with the same pitting after a number of years.  Maybe a call to Alcoa to see if they might know what causes the pitting.

Woody Miller