Coach progression

2 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I’m with you on the 36’ thing. I like that I can turn my Dip in a gas island, but really my heart is set on a 40’ tag at this point. It’s logistics now before we head that direction. 

I’d like stay Monaco, there are some models that are 40’ tag, with big HP, I saw a HR that had a 500 DD which would be insane.

Country coach is also an option, as they have 40’ tag. Heck they even have a 37’ tag, if you can find one, only 25 made. (Sunset Bay)

Our 40' 09 Dynasty has the Cummins 500 HP ISM engine.  It pulls our 2017 Escalade with no problem.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:41 PM, JDCrow said:

At what point did you decide to go bigger? Your new coach is beautiful by the way. 

JD, it wasn't intentional as the 40 Foot Windsor has been an exceptional coach for the past 18 years and very comfortable too!

I got hooked on the 2006 Monaco Dynasty's when I went to look at Bill Groves' coach last year which had been for sale for months. I also fell in love with the "Man's Best Friend" color scheme both outside and inside. That's when I went on a quest to find that "perfect' coach. Later when going through one for sale at a dealership in Ocala, it turned out to be a 42-foot Countess III floorplan and I really liked the layout plus the N-S bed over the engine. So, after that I had it narrowed down to exactly what I wanted, a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Countess III in a "Man's Best Friend" color scheme. Went through a number of coaches around Florida plus Texas and all were in worse shape than my Windsor, so I was getting discouraged and "almost" gave up. After a few weeks without looking, I jumped on RVTrader.com and this coach had just been listed for sale on consignment. After going through the photos, I jumped on the phone quickly to talk with the salesperson.

And the rest is history!

Even with all of the problems that I have found I am not disappointed for one nano-second. It's just a shame that some owners do not take any pride in owning such a high-quality coach as the 2006 Dynasty's. The coach had obviously been neglected with certain stuff was broken then never fixed. One example that I recently discovered is that all 8 bay door electric locking motors were frozen and had been disconnected. Luckily I was able to find the exact same motors fairly cheap on the Internet. While taking each one apart it also gave me an opportunity to lube all of the latching mechanisms so I won't be having any problems with them for years to come. (Never had any problems with the ones on the Windsor as they get used so frequently)

My "inspector" did a terrible job but that's another story.

Plus, if we ever decide to go back to Full-Time RVing the 42 foot Countess III will be VERY comfortable to live in.

Edited by Dr4Film

17 hours ago, JDCrow said:

From like 08 on? 

NO! RM10H was through 2002 and then (2003) the S-10 chassis started for the Dynasty, Exe, Sig and HR Navigator. Doubt there’s much difference in the RM10H and S-10 as both are Semi-monocoque all s tubular steel construction.

Edited by Ivylog

20 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

NO! RM10H was through 2002 and then (2003) the S-10 chassis started for the Dynasty, Exe, Sig and HR Navigator. Doubt there’s much difference in the RM10H and S-10 as both are Semi-monocoque all s tubular steel construction.

Thanks, I don’t know the models. I’m sure it’s posted somewhere in here. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Whitlow said:

Drives just like a car.  I believe it's a Spartan Roadmaster chassis.  Where would I look to determine?

Mine says Roadmaster when I open the back hatch up. Has a tag with a “vin” number. 

Many on here are way more versed than me! 

10 minutes ago, Tom Whitlow said:

Drives just like a car.  I believe it's a Spartan Roadmaster chassis.  Where would I look to determine?

It’s not a Spartan chassis. Roadmaster was a Monaco exclusive chassis and used on the Monaco, H.R. and Beaver brands

Edited by Chargerman

It definitely is a Roadmaster chassis. It’s the only chassis used on that vintage of Monaco brands. At least on the larger models. 

Edited by Chargerman

8 hours ago, Ivylog said:

NO! Roadmaster RM10H was through 2002 and then (2003) the S-10 chassis started for the Dynasty, Exe, Sig and HR Navigator. Doubt there’s much difference in the RM10H and S-10 as both are Semi-monocoque all s tubular steel construction.

Started with BSA in early '60s in Army wall tents and pup tents, as well as in '65 family bought 2 umbrella tents.  We camped in these for 4 years, then Mom & Dad found a '57 Apache fold-over trailer tent.  We had that until I was about 35 when Dad lost interest in camping and I inherited the trailer and tents.  I used them over the years off and on until I loaned them to my younger brother.  He offered to store them in his yard and I accepted.  Two years later they were completely destroyed with mold.  Ugh.

Fast forward to 2010 when my DW got a wild hair (...) and took me to an RV dealer in NW Georgia.  We bought a 2005 Tiffin Allegro 32BA and other than it was a gas coach it was perfect for us.  It had a large window in the rear cap for a good view when we parked by the waters of Lake Lanier.  We were blissfully satisfied.

We took a trip with our Tiffin and the motorcycle trailer (5,000 lb.) to Smokey Mtn Natl Park in 2013, and on the way back I found out about how pish poor the brakes on the Workhorse chassis were.  I had to stand on the brakes to keep it below runaway speeds (25).  We went shopping for a DP soon after, and ended up with the current '13 Fleetwood Discovery 40G.  I love this floor plan and could go on as to why, but that is for another day.  After 30,000 miles, 2 full time summers, and 6 years, my business started to slow down, so I let the kids assume the Discovery and the loan.

We now have a '13 Arctic Fox 22G that I fixed up, but recently moved back to the lake and are probably going to sell it.  She has lost interest in camping.

We are now a golf cart ride away from the tri-toon and Lake Lanier.  Not a bad circumstance.

Little canned ham pulled by a 69 chevy truck. Water pump and icebox. Then son and I would sleep in the camper shell of my 78 chevy truck after selling the 69 and canned ham. Next was a 32 ft travel trailer for work. 71 travco with 413 dodge was next. Spent more time working on it than using it. Mercifully a tornado finished it off.                            Then a long break until I retired.                                                                                                 Fixed up a 26 ft terry and a 32 ft hr I had taken in on trades and sold them. Then I got offered a job out of town that would still allow me to draw my pension. Got tired of motels and bought a 2015 jayco 26 ft. Too small so got a 29 ft sunset trail.                         Then we decided to leave a trailer at our lease in Florida and bought a 35 ft windjammer.                                                                                                                                     Thought about going full time and traded everything off for a 2019 42 ft Montana 5th wheel and a Ram dually.             Was plenty happy until I started fixing this monaco for my Mom to sell. We liked it so much we sold the dually and 5th wheel and bought it.           

31 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

We now have a '13 Arctic Fox 22G that I fixed up, but recently moved back to the lake and are probably going to sell it.  She has lost interest in camping.

We are now a golf cart ride away from the tri-toon and Lake Lanier.  Not a bad circumstance.

I'll admit, that's not a bad way to slow down. 

Why did she lose interest in camping?  I've traveled to countless races over the years (and still racing).  Camping is a means to an end for me, but when it comes to the DW we'll go to a park and the highlight of the day is walking the dogs every 2 hours.  She doesn't hike, bike, fish, swim, bird-watch and we're a base plate away from a toad . . . . if it wasn't for cell service or Wi-Fi we'd be hosed. 

So what activities keep our loved ones happy?  (asking for a friend 😉 )

- bob

She likes to ride bicycles (electric), walk in the park, swimming, boating, fishing.  Since we previously lived either on an acreage or in the coach, the only way to do these things (except bicycle and walk) was to be camping on the lake.  See picture.

I forgot my '77 Ford PU with camper shell.  I custom built the back panel and installed a 10k BTU gas furnace.  We used it for camping, skating, and snowmobiling in Illinois and Wisconsin.

Now that we have lake access and the boat the camper is of less interest.  Incidentally, we returned to the Smokeys last summer.  I took her to a hangout from years gone by atop Balsam Mtn. where the bears and elk are known to frequent.  It is dry camping, but the Arctic Fox (and the generator for coffee) did fine.  She made coffee for everyone in camp that Saturday morning, and was nicknamed camp mother.  Saturday night campfires up there are abundant as you can see in the picture. 

Balsam Mtn Campground - Smokeys.jpg

Lake Lanier Camp.jpg

Edited by 6Wheels
formatting
  • Like 1

When I was young my family camped in a 1978 Apache Roamer. Later on my ex-wife and I bought a 22 foot Sunline travel trailer and camped every year in the Smokey’s. Later in life in my 30’s when I got remarried we got a Coachman travel trailer but sold it after a few years because our new house wouldn’t allow parking it outside and storage lots where to expensive. I wanted my two young boys to experience camping so I tried to find something I could fit in our garage. I ended up finding a 1977 Apache Ramada that I gutted and rebuilt with a tub and shower and repainted the outside.  It took me a year on weekends but when it was done it was nice. People in the campgrounds thought it was new. We went all over the eastern part of the United States in that thing. We finally out grew it after about 6 years and bought a new Keystone Passport with bunk beds and had that for about 5 years when my wife one night found a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery on Craigs list. I was a little hesitant being since I liked our setup so I reluctantly went and looked at it. Well we went the next day and man this thing was like brand new, I was hooked. After driving and camping in this I thought this is the way to travel. Well, after about about 9 years we wanted something nicer and I wanted a tag axle. That’s when we found our current Dynasty this last December and so far we are very happy.

4 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

When I was young my family camped in a 1978 Apache Roamer. Later on my ex-wife and I bought a 22 foot Sunline travel trailer and camped every year in the Smokey’s. Later in life in my 30’s when I got remarried we got a Coachman travel trailer but sold it after a few years because our new house wouldn’t allow parking it outside and storage lots where to expensive. I wanted my two young boys to experience camping so I tried to find something I could fit in our garage. I ended up finding a 1977 Apache Ramada that I gutted and rebuilt with a tub and shower and repainted the outside.  It took me a year on weekends but when it was done it was nice. People in the campgrounds thought it was new. We went all over the eastern part of the United States in that thing. We finally out grew it after about 6 years and bought a new Keystone Passport with bunk beds and had that for about 5 years when my wife one night found a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery on Craigs list. I was a little hesitant being since I liked our setup so I reluctantly went and looked at it. Well we went the next day and man this thing was like brand new, I was hooked. After driving and camping in this I thought this is the way to travel. Well, after about about 9 years we wanted something nicer and I wanted a tag axle. That’s when we found our current Dynasty this last December and so far we are very happy.

Great story! Looks like you have an awesome coach now. How has it been on maintenance for you? 

In the 3 months of ownership I have done a lot on it. When I purchased it the batteries and tires were all brand new so that was a plus for sure. The batteries were Trogan as well. I replaced the skylight because it had cracks in it. I changed all fluids and filters for a baseline even though the previous owner had them changed recently. I installed a wax valve from Source engineering because the fan was running full speed and I replaced my Norcold coil with an Amish unit and installed the Frig defend. I have a new Thomas compressor sitting on my work bench so that’s the next project I’m going to tackle and I have some air leaks I have to find even though I have replaced a lot of push fittings. Some surprises I found was I have the Safety Steer on it and I’m pretty sure it has the Watts link installed on the front. When I was under looking for leaks I saw this thing on a pivot with two arms going from it and later saw someone commenting about the Watts link so I looked it up and I’m almost positive that’s what I have. Anyways as everyone knows there’s always something to do on these rigs but I enjoy doing it. So far I have been on two long trips and I sure does drive super smooth on the road.

12 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

In the 3 months of ownership I have done a lot on it. When I purchased it the batteries and tires were all brand new so that was a plus for sure. The batteries were Trogan as well. I replaced the skylight because it had cracks in it. I changed all fluids and filters for a baseline even though the previous owner had them changed recently. I installed a wax valve from Source engineering because the fan was running full speed and I replaced my Norcold coil with an Amish unit and installed the Frig defend. I have a new Thomas compressor sitting on my work bench so that’s the next project I’m going to tackle and I have some air leaks I have to find even though I have replaced a lot of push fittings. Some surprises I found was I have the Safety Steer on it and I’m pretty sure it has the Watts link installed on the front. When I was under looking for leaks I saw this thing on a pivot with two arms going from it and later saw someone commenting about the Watts link so I looked it up and I’m almost positive that’s what I have. Anyways as everyone knows there’s always something to do on these rigs but I enjoy doing it. So far I have been on two long trips and I sure does drive super smooth on the road.

Awesome. Ours came with Amish upgrade. Needed tires, added battery and new inverter. Watts is great. Added front, rear just was delivered. The rear gets pushed around from our short wheel base. Glad your having fun getting it off the ground.