Coach progression

So a random thread…..

Are you on your “final” coach? If so, what did you have before.

if not, what is your end game for a coach. 

For us, I love our little 34’, my wife, not so much. I can see us in a 40’ tag In 5 years or so.

I will finish off most my wish list for Perle. It will not get a new paint job, or big solar. 

Edited by JDCrow

I would like to get into a Foretravel Realm if I can find one with the color palate we love along with the right floorplan but won’t start looking until all of the current price madness is behind us

• Like 1

In 2002 I purchased a 1992 Airstream 36 foot Landyacht. Used it for one year and decided that I needed to have a lot more storage both inside and outside. Plus I needed to have slides. Took one year to research diesel pushers as the gas engine just didn't hack it for power and grade braking. After spending hundreds of hours at RV shows, dealer lots and perusing the Internet I decided that I wanted a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40 foot with three slides for my next and final coach. We'll that was over 18 years ago but funny how things change with time. We now own a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Countess III with 3 slides that will DEFINITELY be our last coach.

I have already spent a lot of time and energy fixing stuff that previous owners had neglected to repair over time or just chose to ignore. In addition I am changing or adding stuff to make it "ours". I hope to have it finished by May when we plan to leave for the summer.

There are a few major repairs that will need to be looked at fairly soon which will take my devoted attention one project at a time.

Once done I hope to enjoy many troublefree years with the coach creating lots of memories and good times while traveling all over this country.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I would like to get into a Foretravel Realm if I can find one with the color palate we love along with the right floorplan but won’t start looking until all of the current price madness is behind us

I’m not as versed on Foretraveler. This sites owner has one? 

18 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

In 2002 I purchased a 1992 Airstream 36 foot Landyacht. Used it for one year and decided that I needed to have a lot more storage both inside and outside. Plus I needed to have slides. Took one year to research diesel pushers as the gas engine just didn't hack it for power and grade braking. After spending hundreds of hours at RV shows, dealer lots and perusing the Internet I decided that I wanted a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40 foot with three slides for my next and final coach. We'll that was over 18 years ago but funny how things change with time. We now own a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Countess III with 3 slides that will DEFINITELY be our last coach.

I have already spent a lot of time and energy fixing stuff that previous owners had neglected to repair over time or just chose to ignore. In addition I am changing or adding stuff to make it "ours". I hope to have it finished by May when we plan to leave for the summer.

There are a few major repairs that will need to be looked at fairly soon which will take my devoted attention one project at a time.

Once done I hope to enjoy many troublefree years with the coach creating lots of memories and good times while traveling all over this country.

At what point did you decide to go bigger? Your new coach is beautiful by the way. 

Good question. When I bought this Exec. I was looking for a pull behind. The quality of travel trailers just wasn't up to my standards and I looked for months to find something to fit me. I actually found this coach on the back lot of a dealer who didn't want to spend any more money on it. I knew I should have had an inspector look at it before I bought it, but I figured at the price I offered for it , I could fix whatever was wrong with her and still have my head above water. The travel trailers at my price range were roughly the same as this monster .....so I took the plunge and I haven't regretted it since. I love this this coach. Sure she's old and has multiple problems, but nothing I can't fix. 

If I had my choice of coaches? I love a dynasty....... and the 08 Sig Cambridge quad slide is just beautiful to me. But for now, my Exec will do.....

• Like 1

We first started looking for a small Class C back in the mid 1990's, my wife said smallest we could find.  Walking into the smallest ones I wasn't convinced and just by chance I happened to see an add in the paper for an auction, a local RV dealer was liquidating some of his stock.  So on a whim I went to the auction, it was on a Saturday but surprisingly there wasn't a lot of people there so I walked around looking.  The had one small Class C, and a larger Class C, and one Class A all new.  The first RV they brought to the line was the small Class C, bidding was slow and for the auctioneer it was like pulling teeth, he finally ended the auction saying "Sorry folks, just not enough money" and he pulled the rig and didn't sell it.    He then started on the larger Class C and again bidding was slow, I stood there as he was trying to get higher bids and finally just threw up my hand.  So the Auctioneer keep going at it trying to get another bid and got nothing.  But he finally did the "going, going, gone" bit and I just bought myself a brand new 31' Class C Georgie Boy Maverick RV.  I then called my wife later in the day and told her what I did, she was thrilled and put a lot of miles on that rig by herself.

Then in the mid 2000;s we started looking at Class A DP's.  Spent time going to dealers, RV shows, private sales, looked at any RV we could walk into and slowly learned are likes, dislikes, good/bad, must have etc.  Leaned quite a bit and started to see the differences in quality.  In Nov 2008 I volunteered to drive my parents from Northern Wisconsin to Florida, picking my wife and our car up in TN.  I happened to see a listing on Ebay for a Class A DP in FL and decided to stop and look at it on our way back to TN.  It was in Cocoa Beach FL.  The place it was located wasn't a dealer, the seller was ran a transport company moving repo'd vehicles for banks, it was basically a storage yard.  But the pictures looked very nice so it was worth the effort.  It was for a 2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD.  We walked into the coach and when the seller left we both turned to each other and went "WOW", the coach had been taken care of, everything looked good, all the appliances worked, I could not find anything wrong with the rig after crawling over, under, through the rig.  We drove home and though about it and closed a deal ~4 days later.  Flew back down and picked up the next weekend and we've had it ever since.  Been a great rig, and I just put $10K into it getting ready to travel. (tires, new AC, FASS pump, Bluesea, New batteris, new floor......)!

But if I could find a great deal on a newer 45' quad slide I might buy it.  If I stick with a Monaco it'd be a 2006/7 Signature.   I also have admired a Beaver Marquis Moonstone 2007.   That or a Prevost 🤬

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

At the age of 60, me and my wife bought our first and hopefully last RV.  We started looking at gas Class C and said not big enough to spend 7 months in.  We looked at gas Class A's.  First 35 footers than 40 foot.  Took a test drive of a brand new gas Tiffin Open Road, then drove a used diesel pusher.  Never would I go back to gas. It only took a 15 minute drive for me to know, a diesel pusher was the only way to go. I started looking at Tiffin Phaeton, Tiffin Bus, than Newmar Ventana, than Winnebago Journey, but when we found a private seller with a 2011 Monaco Diplomat 44 DFT, we fell in love. Sure, there are things I still wish for.  A side radiator makes access to the engine nice, a gutter system around the roof to keep rain water from running down the sides, a patio awning that is tight and rolls out downward to block the rain better.  But overall, we love the 400 Cummins with no def. Three huge slides.  Two bathrooms and a huge closet. 10 air bags for a smooth ride. Three A/Cs, three vents, all the hot water two people can use.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

We first started looking for a small Class C back in the mid 1990's, my wife said smallest we could find.  Walking into the smallest ones I wasn't convinced and just by chance I happened to see an add in the paper for an auction, a local RV dealer was liquidating some of his stock.  So on a whim I went to the auction, it was on a Saturday but surprisingly there wasn't a lot of people there so I walked around looking.  The had one small Class C, and a larger Class C, and one Class A all new.  The first RV they brought to the line was the small Class C, bidding was slow and for the auctioneer it was like pulling teeth, he finally ended the auction saying "Sorry folks, just not enough money" and he pulled the rig and didn't sell it.    He then started on the larger Class C and again bidding was slow, I stood there as he was trying to get higher bids and finally just threw up my hand.  So the Auctioneer keep going at it trying to get another bid and got nothing.  But he finally did the "going, going, gone" bit and I just bought myself a brand new 31' Class C Georgie Boy Maverick RV.  I then called my wife later in the day and told her what I did, she was thrilled and put a lot of miles on that rig by herself.

Then in the mid 2000;s we started looking at Class A DP's.  Spent time going to dealers, RV shows, private sales, looked at any RV we could walk into and slowly learned are likes, dislikes, good/bad, must have etc.  Leaned quite a bit and started to see the differences in quality.  In Nov 2008 I volunteered to drive my parents from Northern Wisconsin to Florida, picking my wife and our car up in TN.  I happened to see a listing on Ebay for a Class A DP in FL and decided to stop and look at it on our way back to TN.  It was in Cocoa Beach FL.  The place it was located wasn't a dealer, the seller was ran a transport company moving repo'd vehicles for banks, it was basically a storage yard.  But the pictures looked very nice so it was worth the effort.  It was for a 2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD.  We walked into the coach and when the seller left we both turned to each other and went "WOW", the coach had been taken care of, everything looked good, all the appliances worked, I could not find anything wrong with the rig after crawling over, under, through the rig.  We drove home and though about it and closed a deal ~4 days later.  Flew back down and picked up the next weekend and we've had it ever since.  Been a great rig, and I just put $10K into it getting ready to travel. (tires, new AC, FASS pump, Bluesea, New batteris, new floor......)!

But if I could find a great deal on a newer 45' quad slide I might buy it.  If I stick with a Monaco it'd be a 2006/7 Signature.   I also have admired a Beaver Marquis Moonstone 2007.   That or a Prevost 🤬

Great Story! I could start a thread for Rigs I bought eBay. 

1 hour ago, Flyinhy said:

Good question. When I bought this Exec. I was looking for a pull behind. The quality of travel trailers just wasn't up to my standards and I looked for months to find something to fit me. I actually found this coach on the back lot of a dealer who didn't want to spend any more money on it. I knew I should have had an inspector look at it before I bought it, but I figured at the price I offered for it , I could fix whatever was wrong with her and still have my head above water. The travel trailers at my price range were roughly the same as this monster .....so I took the plunge and I haven't regretted it since. I love this this coach. Sure she's old and has multiple problems, but nothing I can't fix. 

If I had my choice of coaches? I love a dynasty....... and the 08 Sig Cambridge quad slide is just beautiful to me. But for now, my Exec will do.....

I think you did well, and man you have learned A LOT since you started 

I had been going to motorcycle races solo camping out of a cargo trailer.  If the weather was decent it was ok, but cold or rain and it was miserable.  Finally, after a decade of NO amenity cargo camping, and a buddy taking me along in his nice Class C, the DW thought it was time for something better and, if nice enough, she might tag along.  I started searching for small toy haulers but the ones our 4-Runner could pull were basically bigger cargo trailers with a toilet and a galley.  We started looking at Class C's but I didn't like the idea of 8 - 9 mpg and the lower "pickup like" driving position.  The overhead sleeper was nice, though.  If the mileage is that bad might as well get a Class A, so started looking at Class A's and found one that a dealer, at the insistence of another dealer going halves with him, had picked up at an auction.  After bringing it home he decided it wasn't the kind of coach he wanted to sell so he sold us a partial fixer-upper saving us thousands, and IMO he was very honest about the coach's condition and issues. 

So I / we went from cargo trailer to Class A gasser in one step.  What a learning curve!

8 years, 80,000 miles and countless races later the DW went on a few (2-3) glamping trips but still hadn't been to a race.  She said I didn't keep it clean and it wasn't nice enough, and I was afraid if I didn't sell the gasser now I wouldn't get anything for it due to mileage (147k miles).  Started looking again for a small DP from a quality manufacturer.  There was NOTHING close to Atlanta and most were over "her" budget.  I did find a Neptune in FL for a very good price, but it had been for sale for a while and probably had serious issues.  Still . . . .

Then we found our Endeavor that had just appeared on Facebook.  We went to look at it (150 miles away).  It was in very good condition and the newish owners, who bought it from original owners, had done several upgrades / changes but with Covid the coach sat for most of 2020.  Plus we clicked pretty good with them.  We NEVER make an investment like this "on the spot" and really wanted an inspection so we bid farewell.  But before pulling out the DW & I had a mini pow-wow and decided to throw them an offer before they left, thousands less than their already $10k under market price.  They accepted without negotiating and a week later we brought the latest rig home.  The biggest surprise was the 10 or so paid reservations at local (for them) state parks they let us have.  We could only use 4 due to conflicting dates but it got US out of the house and into glamping. 

I never got a chance to market the old gasser because finding comps with similar mileage was rare.  So where we made a great deal on the Endeavor we lost on the Fleetwood selling it to a broker. 

And a year of racing later the DW has been to ONE race.  She said it was boring LOL.  OK, from a spectator view cross-country events ARE boring!  Good thing for good cell service.

Is this the last coach?  Maybe, but I miss being able to drive into and park behind fast food restaurants, negotiating auto fuel islands and turning around in a cul-de-sac.  The RR8R chassis wheelbase is 40" longer than the Ford F53 and that makes all the difference in maneuverability.  Maybe an RR4R is in our future . . . . or as long as I'm going solo maybe a Sprinter based coach (talk about expensive!) . . . . but then I'd realize their minuscule storage capabilities and stay big.  Maybe a 5th wheel?  Who knows. 

One thing for sure . . . . we will NEVER go back to a gasser! 

Love the ride, love the quiet, love the 800 mile fuel range, love the ability to stretch out, love not hearing every body's noisy generator, love the quit(er) rain on the roof . . . . there's a lot to love in a Monaco. 

- bob

Edited by cbr046
Excesior / Endeavor . . . same thing, right? LOL
  • Like 2

We started out with a Sportsmen 33' travel trailer with bunk beds, pulling it with a diesel GMC Suburban.  After a couple years we moved up to a 96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP with a single slide.  We put more than 100,000 miles on the HR over the next 20 years driving around the U.S. on various vacations with 3 or 4 of our kids.  The kids are all gone now and we upgraded last summer to the 09 Dynasty and sold the HR.  Our Dynasty floorplan (Bishop IV) has the optional computer station instead of the extra sofa.  It's perfect!  IMO, there's really nothing, worth paying for, in any of the newer coaches that the Dynasty doesn't have.  We'll keep this coach until we become too old to travel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom Whitlow said:

We started out with a Sportsmen 33' travel trailer with bunk beds, pulling it with a diesel GMC Suburban.  After a couple years we moved up to a 96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP with a single slide.  We put more than 100,000 miles on the HR over the next 20 years driving around the U.S. on various vacations with 3 or 4 of our kids.  The kids are all gone now and we upgraded last summer to the 09 Dynasty and sold the HR.  Our Dynasty floorplan (Bishop IV) has the optional computer station instead of the extra sofa.  It's perfect!  IMO, there's really nothing, worth paying for, in any of the newer coaches that the Dynasty doesn't have.  We'll keep this coach until we become too old to travel. 

Agree, newer coaches have the HGTV decor, but that’s about it. The quality of materials and craftsmanship are nowhere near the Golden age coaches 

14 hours ago, JDCrow said:

So a random thread…..

Are you on your “final” coach? If so, what did you have before.

if not, what is your end game for a coach. 

For us, I love our little 34’, my wife, not so much. I can see us in a 40’ tag In 5 years or so.

I will finish off most my wish list for Perle. It will not get a new paint job, or big solar. 

This is our third and final coach. First coach was a 99 National Seaview and had it for 12 years till we retired 2013. 2nd coach was a 2014 Forest River Georgetown 334QS and a total piece of junk. Owned it for 3 years. Two of the three years it was either in the shop or waiting to go into shop. At the end of first year we got a lawyer to try and get them to buy back. Failed!! So we eventually traded it in on our current coach in 2017. Financially we are barely holding on and may have to sell within the next year. We will see!!!

• Like 1

I hadn’t thought about listing our RV journey. 

Right after getting married, we slept in our Bronco for years till we picked up a mid 70’s dry rotted camper from wife’s grandparents $700 and she took payments. 

The camper was traded in for a 31’ tin side travel trailer with 1 large slide. We sold it for a Monaco McKenzie 33’ 5th wheel. 

We went back to tent camping for a bit, but ended up sharing a 26’ travel trailer in 06. Our credit was shot from opening our own biz. 2015 we got another trailer, 33’ Wildcat, offed it for. Keystone Alpine 39’ just sold it.

Currently we are full time in a VanLeigh Vilano 42’ have the Monaco Dip 34’ and just picked up a tin side toy hauler to use a a job site trailer. Been a journey for sure 

12 minutes ago, Tom Whitlow said:

6.2 or 6.5 Chevy? 

Edited by JDCrow

1995 - Tent Camping in 10' x 10' with camping gear and 2 small kids.

2005 - Upgraded to Coleman pop-up pull behind trailer.  Camping gear and now 4 kids. 

2017 - Upgraded to new 42' Fiver to tailgate at college where kids attended.  No more camping gear and now empty nesters.  Still college tuition to pay though.

2021 - Upgraded to 2006 Windsor.  Just LOVE the move to a Class A DP.  Beats all the other ways of camping and traveling.  Monaco is such a quality coach and the interior style, color and layout is just what we were looking to get.  Flew to Florida and bought sight unseen, but not disappointed at all.  It has plenty of work still to be done, but now retired and no tuition!  And being part of such a great forum is a bonus.

Future - Too new to know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill R said:

1995 - Tent Camping in 10' x 10' with camping gear and 2 small kids.

2005 - Upgraded to Coleman pop-up pull behind trailer.  Camping gear and now 4 kids. 

2017 - Upgraded to new 42' Fiver to tailgate at college where kids attended.  No more camping gear and now empty nesters.  Still college tuition to pay though.

2021 - Upgraded to 2006 Windsor.  Just LOVE the move to a Class A DP.  Beats all the other ways of camping and traveling.  Monaco is such a quality coach and the interior style, color and layout is just what we were looking to get.  Flew to Florida and bought sight unseen, but not disappointed at all.  It has plenty of work still to be done, but now retired and no tuition!  And being part of such a great forum is a bonus.

Future - Too new to know.

Congrats! 

Saw my parents go from a 22 foot Winnie in 1978 to a 34 foot Southwind to a 34 foot Pace Arrow then a 36 foot Pace Arrow a 35 foot holiday Rambler and a second 34 Holiday Rambler. Then in 1992 they sold and bought a  park model in Florida. So In 2016 I bought a 44.5 foot Monaco Signature. It absorbed more $$ than I can tell you. So after fixing everything imaginable I sold it at a loss due to it needing basement floors and supports and living space floor went soft as well as ponding around the air conditioners due to failed roof supports. Sold that money pit April 1, 2021. Best Aprils fool thing I ever did. Next day took delivery on an iH-45 Foretravel. Life is good if you can afford it! Lol

23 minutes ago, bpperk said:

Saw my parents go from a 22 foot Winnie in 1978 to a 34 foot Southwind to a 34 foot Pace Arrow then a 36 foot Pace Arrow a 35 foot holiday Rambler and a second 34 Holiday Rambler. Then in 1992 they sold and bought a  park model in Florida. So In 2016 I bought a 44.5 foot Monaco Signature. It absorbed more $$ than I can tell you. So after fixing everything imaginable I sold it at a loss due to it needing basement floors and supports and living space floor went soft as well as ponding around the air conditioners due to failed roof supports. Sold that money pit April 1, 2021. Best Aprils fool thing I ever did. Next day took delivery on an iH-45 Foretravel. Life is good if you can afford it! Lol

Update your signature? 

Ricardo

In 1997 my wife and I decided to sell our house of 24 years, quit our jobs, and head west in a 1984 Coachman 5th wheel. Our kids were grown and on their own, house was paid for, and our long time jobs were stale and boring. We got summer jobs in Yellowstone NP working at the Madison campground. The plan was to work and travel for 3 years and find a new place out west to settle and start a new life. Well, as many of you know, being full time RVing is very addictive and 3 years later we found ourselves working at Disney World during their 1999 - 2000 Millenium Celebration. We decided we loved this lifestyle and bought a 1998 Carraige 5th wheel and a new 2000 Ford diesel truck to pull it.

In 2008 we sold the Ford and 5th wheel and bought a 2004 Monaco Diplomat which we still have.  In December of 2019, after 22 plus years on the road we bought 5 acres of land SW of Deming, NM. It had a well, septic, electric, and hook-ups for our Dip. Figured we would use it as a home port for the winter and travel during the summer. Then Covid hit. We have spent the last 2 plus years fixing up a shipping container cabin that was on the land and have only had our motor home on one trip a year ago. We are just getting too old to do much traveling and the rig isn't getting the use it needs. Seriously thinking of selling it. We figure $30,000 is a good price for 2004 Quad slide Diplomat. It has been a good rig but needs some TLC that we just aren't able to give it. May just down sizes to a small pull behind.

11 hours ago, rjnontheroad said:

Ricardo

In 1997 my wife and I decided to sell our house of 24 years, quit our jobs, and head west in a 1984 Coachman 5th wheel. Our kids were grown and on their own, house was paid for, and our long time jobs were stale and boring. We got summer jobs in Yellowstone NP working at the Madison campground. The plan was to work and travel for 3 years and find a new place out west to settle and start a new life. Well, as many of you know, being full time RVing is very addictive and 3 years later we found ourselves working at Disney World during their 1999 - 2000 Millenium Celebration. We decided we loved this lifestyle and bought a 1998 Carraige 5th wheel and a new 2000 Ford diesel truck to pull it.

In 2008 we sold the Ford and 5th wheel and bought a 2004 Monaco Diplomat which we still have.  In December of 2019, after 22 plus years on the road we bought 5 acres of land SW of Deming, NM. It had a well, septic, electric, and hook-ups for our Dip. Figured we would use it as a home port for the winter and travel during the summer. Then Covid hit. We have spent the last 2 plus years fixing up a shipping container cabin that was on the land and have only had our motor home on one trip a year ago. We are just getting too old to do much traveling and the rig isn't getting the use it needs. Seriously thinking of selling it. We figure $30,000 is a good price for 2004 Quad slide Diplomat. It has been a good rig but needs some TLC that we just aren't able to give it. May just down sizes to a small pull behind.

$30,000 is a bargain. Thanks for sharing your journey. 

In 50 years I’ve owned every type of RV made except a toy hauler… hadn’t been invented when I was pulling a trailer. Decades ago I owned a class C for a couple of years and then switch to a 31 foot Airstream… only RV I’ve sold for more than I paid 8 years later.

22 years ago I made the mistake of buying into 36’ is the max for public campgrounds so bought a used  36’ Beaver DP. Took all of 2 years to realize that’s BS so traded for a used 40’ Beaver. 3 years later, once we could start Snowbirding, bought a almost new 04 Dynasty 42’. Great coach and we do 60+ days most summers dry camping out West.

Thought we would age out before it but the things we do for our children. Sold it to our son after 14 years and upgraded to a 45’ 08 Navigator three years ago. Have to admit the extra power and higher ceilings are worth the hassle and cost of upgrading.

THIS is our LAST Motorhome.

4 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

In 50 years I’ve owned every type of RV made except a toy hauler… hadn’t been invented when I was pulling a trailer. Decades ago I owned a class C for a couple of years and then switch to a 31 foot Airstream… only RV I’ve sold for more than I paid 8 years later.

22 years ago I made the mistake of buying into 36’ is the max for public campgrounds so bought a used  36’ Beaver DP. Took all of 2 years to realize that’s BS so traded for a used 40’ Beaver. 3 years later, once we could start Snowbirding, bought a almost new 04 Dynasty 42’. Great coach and we do 60+ days most summers dry camping out West.

Thought we would age out before it but the things we do for our children. Sold it to our son after 14 years and upgraded to a 45’ 08 Navigator three years ago. Have to admit the extra power and higher ceilings are worth the hassle and cost of upgrading.

THIS is our LAST Motorhome.

I’m with you on the 36’ thing. I like that I can turn my Dip in a gas island, but really my heart is set on a 40’ tag at this point. It’s logistics now before we head that direction. 

I’d like stay Monaco, there are some models that are 40’ tag, with big HP, I saw a HR that had a 500 DD which would be insane.

Country coach is also an option, as they have 40’ tag. Heck they even have a 37’ tag, if you can find one, only 25 made. (Sunset Bay)

54 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

I’m with you on the 36’ thing. I like that I can turn my Dip in a gas island, but really my heart is set on a 40’ tag at this point.

I think you may have misread my 36’ comment. I haven’t used truck stops for 13 years … only twice recently because the TSD card was finally cheaper. We stay mainly in USFS CGs in our 45’. Yes it’s harder but in 17 years with a 42’ or now 45’ only once have I not been able to find a site close to where I wanted to stay out West in Moab in late September.

Went into S Lake Tahoe on Labor Day without reservations and got into our 1st choice public CG. NO, not on Friday… on Monday when the working folks have to go home.

Get a 42’ as it’s easier to shrink to 40’ than a 45’.

Edited by Ivylog