Very strange wiper action

Not sure if this is the right forum, but;  my wipers started behaving badly.  As it stands right now the only thing the wipers will do is activate for one sweep of the windshield every 2 or 3 minutes.  That's it.  They will not shut off nor operate in any other fashion.  Wiper/washer function, no.  Constant on, no.  Able to adjust the interval timing, no.  Turn off, no.

Not sure where to start trouble shooting.  A smart wheel problem?  Roadside chassis multiplex, the dreaded Kongsberg system?  There is no response from pushing any buttons on the smart wheel.  The wiper does make a sweep once every so often so I know it's getting power.  Other functions on the smart wheel are working.

Thanks, Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

Woody, my 2005 Safari Gazelle also moves once when I turn the key on.  All other wiper functions seem to work okay.  It hasn't worsened so I haven't investigated further.  Please post your resolution to your problem.

25 minutes ago, woodylmiller said:

Not sure if this is the right forum, but;  my wipers started behaving badly.  As it stands right now the only thing the wipers will do is activate for one sweep of the windshield every 2 or 3 minutes.  That's it.  They will not shut off nor operate in any other fashion.  Wiper/washer function, no.  Constant on, no.  Able to adjust the interval timing, no.  Turn off, no.

Not sure where to start trouble shooting.  A smart wheel problem?  Roadside chassis multiplex, the dreaded Kongsberg system?  There is no response from pushing any buttons on the smart wheel.  The wiper does make a sweep once every so often so I know it's getting power.  Other functions on the smart wheel are working.

Thanks, Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

When you say everything else on the smart wheel works, have you verified that flashing the headlights and rear marker lights work?

If they don't work then likely you have a failing 5 VDC supply from the CCM.  This fix has been detailed in another discussion.

Thanks for the information, I will check these items.  I know my rear marker lights work since I used the power for my new rear camera.  I will look for the previous post.  

We have only owned the coach a little over a year, but learn something new every day.

David, Frank's point was to check the two buttons on your VIP Smart Wheel that are for Flashing the headlights or Flashing the Marker Lights. That has nothing to do with whether your headlights and marker lights work correctly when simply turned on.

I'm not sure it is the exact same problem, but my wipers would act up, sometimes they would turn on and then be unable to turn off or visa versa.  Sometimes there would be no way to turn them on, always in the rain:-), then if I got them on finally, I couldn't turn them off.  Turned out it was the clock spring.

I thought an auto resetting thermal circuit breaker might be the problem.  But the wipers will not turn off, so it's a command issue I think.  Cold, windy and nasty out today so the next time the sun comes out I may try disconnecting the batteries to see if I can reboot the system.  Maybe the electrons are a little disorganized or confused about what I want them to do. 

Frank, I know the headlight flashing worked.  I'll double check those and the marker lights and take it from there.

Woody MIller