Twist and Shout

RR jack only extended at a campground, twisting (I'm sure) the frame.  I shout OMG! 😵

128651827_WindshieldGap4LR.thumb.jpg.98c1972d4b24c07105f2dc5b7543813c.jpg

Never really noticed any separation before, and I frequently camp (if you can call what we do "camping" lol) on un-level ground.  Once we got home all was normal . . . .

137535662_WindshieldGap5LR.thumb.jpg.e2536e6ac4a79e2a57d5a9fd242637bd.jpg

Question is . . . . is there a concern or is this normal for a chassis flex with one rear jack extended?

- bob

Ditto Ivan and Ben, the rubber should be glued to the body IMHO. We had our windshield replaced and the installer glued the new rubber to the body.  Also if you are experiencing that type of separation, there is a good chance that you have had water intrusion under your dash.  We had to completely rebuild our underdash and coat it with fiberglass.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

When I'm leveling I carefully and incrementally level the coach while keeping the frame rails parallel at all times taking into account tire load balance. From the picture it appears that your frame rails were substantially out of parallel at the time. Also noticed a stress crack in the radius of the fiberglass. I wonder if some handling problems which owners complain about could  be caused by twisted frames as the result of improper leveling procedure. 

Edited by Gary Cole

Bob, how many jacks are on the coach for leveling?

There is a specific procedure that is recommended by Monacoers if you have three jacks versus four.

Can't remember what it is as I have never had to deal with hydraulic jacks, but the procedure will prevent your coach from twisting and eventually breaking the windshield.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Bob, how many jacks are on the coach for leveling?

There is a specific procedure that is recommended by Monacoers if you have three jacks versus four.

Can't remember what it is as I have never had to deal with hydraulic jacks, but the procedure will prevent your coach from twisting and eventually breaking the windshield.

3 jack setup procedure is to always drop the front / center jack first to give the coach frame a pivot point, then you can you drop the rear L and R jacks. Always use the front jack even if you're already level front to back.  Also, always drop all 3 jacks even if you only need one to level the coach, the load needs to be distributed across 3 jacks for stability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Read the manual. If you have three jacks you have dump the air from your bags then lower the front jack first to give the coach a pivot po[nt. I saw a guy pop his windshield out at a park in AZ. because the front was already high so he thought he could just level the back to it. Even if the front is higher you still need to raise the front a couple of inches first.

I had a similar and scary experience a couple of years ago. And others have already pointed out, always dump some air and make contact with the front jack initially. This happened to me when I was attempting to level the coach more than I should have. It is also very important that when moving slides in or out that the airbags are full and jacks are up. 

IMG_0196.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

My parents had my Cayman PDQ before me and they had to have additional support added welded in around the windshield because they had the windshield pop out a couple of times from the frame shifting around.  For what ever reason, there is a lot of flexing in the body framing on these things.  Luckily they only had to gorilla tape the edges of the windshield to get back home when it happened.   It never broke the glass.