Big baddy

Guest Al redcay

Guest Al redcay

I’m looking for info of people who have rebuilt a norcold 1200 with the Amish kit from j c refrigeration. Good or bad idea.

My dad’s 1210 died and we rebuilt it with the JC kit. It wasn’t too bad. (Died at 5 years - on the way home from Alaska).

When I decide to replace my 22year old unit, I choose to go Residential - because we full- time. 

The JC kit was made much better than original. You will want a helper. We spent more time on the project- just because we were making the whole thing better. 

Good Luck!

I did mine using the 120 Volt "HVAC" unit from JC with the help of my son. 

Worked nicely for about a month, then failed. JC sent a replacement at no cost and we did it again (lots quicker the 2nd time) and it's been doing well for 2 years now. We built a low bench to move the refrigerator to because of only having one able bodied person (I'm a paraplegic) and were able to get the job done with very little stress and strain. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al redcay said:

I’m looking for info of people who have rebuilt a norcold 1200 with the Amish kit from j c refrigeration. Good or bad idea.

I have a 1200 that needs a chiller unit.  Doors, seals, pc boards are all good, just needs a home.  You can have this one rebuilt then do a swap in one easy step. 

- bob

Amish replaced backend 3 1/2 years ago in Shipshawana.  I was told that a compressor driven all electric unit will perform even when the level is not perfect and the gas electric “absorption” method requires the coach be darn near perfectly level.  I chose all electric. The fridge has been flawless, even the ice maker.  The downside is that I am limited to 2 days boondocking because of pulling down batteries.  Solar would solve this issue.  The other issue is that the gaskets on the doors are 18 years old and don’t seal like I think they should. I spent about $1,100 installed in my ‘04 Monaco Knight 34 PDD

Edited by The Hales

1 hour ago, The Hales said:

Amish replaced backend 3 1/2 years ago in Shipshawana.  I was told that a compressor driven all electric unit will perform even when the level is not perfect and the gas electric “absorption” method requires the coach be darn near perfectly level.  I chose all electric. The fridge has been flawless, even the ice maker.  The downside is that I am limited to 2 days boondocking because of pulling down batteries.  Solar would solve this issue.  The other issue is that the gaskets on the doors are 18 years old and don’t seal like I think they should. I spent about $1,100 installed in my ‘04 Monaco Knight 34 PDD

Put a thin coat of vasaline on the door seals. It really helps.

We replace our Norcold 1200, unit with the 120 volt Amish unit from JC Refrigeration about 18 months ago.  We did the install ourselves inside the living area of the MH.  Has worked flawlessly since.  Keeps icecream rock hard even when 100 degrees outside. Don't think you can go wrong with one of their units.  Good luck and God bless you in this project.  Ed & Sylvia

I had 1200 rebuilt with Amish kit.  The.kit repiared the noncooling issue; however, I was never satisfied with the overall cooling of the unit after the kit installation; therefore, about a year after installing the kit, I installed a residential unit.  I have beeo soooo hapoy with the residential issue that I will never go back to a norcold unit.

I recommend you take a look at a residential unit.

Guest Ray Davis
48 minutes ago, dkelly said:

I had 1200 rebuilt with Amish kit.  The.kit repiared the noncooling issue; however, I was never satisfied with the overall cooling of the unit after the kit installation; therefore, about a year after installing the kit, I installed a residential unit.  I have beeo soooo hapoy with the residential issue that I will never go back to a norcold unit.

I recommend you take a look at a residential unit.

In yrs past this subject has been gone over many times.  The problem that seem to happen over and over with new cooling units for norcols was that the tech would short cut or fail to make sure the mastic was properly installed so the cooling was transfered as it should.  Most ended up installing a Samsung after giving up on their Norcold

Fortunately we pulled our Norcold when we bought our coach and installed a Samsung 197, best thing we have done.

If a propane refrigerator was in any way comparable to the residentals that would be great but they are not.