Punch for rocker switch hole

Mike B in TN

I've looked for a chassis punch for a perfect hole for Carling rocker switches for a while, only ones I could find was super expensive. Looking today I found this today and it is a great solution. Reasonably priced and looks like it works good. This tool will make adding switches or replacing broken panels a lot easier.

I have nothing to do with this site or person or tool, just a new fan lol

https://rockerpunch.com/ 

Kinda on this topic…

where is everyone buying the Carling switches?

I am looking for a specific one and having trouble finding it. 

Looking for a red switch cover - two red led’s. DPST (or SPST). Would love it to have anything about “BRAKE” on it, in the old contra style. 

17 minutes ago, Rocketman3 said:

Kinda on this topic…

where is everyone buying the Carling switches?

I am looking for a specific one and having trouble finding it. 

Looking for a red switch cover - two red led’s. DPST (or SPST). Would love it to have anything about “BRAKE” on it, in the old contra style. 

I may be wrong....but I THINK that the switches, both Sigma and Carling, were ordered in bulk from them or a distributor.  However, they were in large lots and were pad printed with the label that they needed.  I talked to Carling and Sigma at least once or twice and they only sell the unmarked or blank tab replacements.  

NOW, for not the faint hearted, if you CAREFULLY look at the Carling switches, the cover is removable. I did NOT like the definition of VISOR vs SHADE.  I really thought that mine were reversed. I started to reverse the switches, but for SOME odd reason, they are different switches.  I think that the one is getting its power from a tranny switch, thus the solid (which I called a white shade) has a different set of contacts.

BUT, I was able to remove the switch tab, very carefully, and swapped them.  IF you switch is bad, then you might be able to order a replacement and swap out the BRAKE or whatever tab. 

NOW....FWIW, I would be careful when ordering a used one on eBay....  The ON/OFF brake might be simple....but I would want to see the terminal side and make sure. The neutral off ones like the shades and the salesman's switch on the passenger's console are sometimes really exotic as in the illumination is added and you have to really make sure that you have the right circuit.  

I also think that you have to really look and compare the PN and such in the catalog...

Sigma is the same.  BOTH have gone through incandescent to neon to led on the "on" sides or such....

If you need a replacement for functionality, I would look seriously at ordering the proper configured one with a blank top and if I could not swap the actuator, then me and a Brother or other strip label maker would find an attractive color tape and font size and then use a label below the switch...

Just my two cents....others may have a source of the pad printed OEM....  ONE outside and very long and probably not worth the effort approach would be to try to see if REV can do a lookup on your VIN and see if they stock or have a replacement for it.  I had to do that with Workhorse to get the exact same salesman's switch when my actuator broke...but that was in a land far, far away....and a 2000 might be a stretch....but you never know.  I would NOT assume that a 1999 or or later year switch would be the exact configuration.  If you have prints, that helps in figuring out the contacts and such.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:44 AM, Mike B in TN said:

I've looked for a chassis punch for a perfect hole for Carling rocker switches for a while, . . . .

https://rockerpunch.com/ 

How about a tool nibler?  The switch will cover the nibbling imperfections. 

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Nickel-Plated-Nibbling/dp/B0002KRACO/

But I wouldn't use it, or the rockerpunch, on plastic. 

- bob

I drill a small hole in al 4 corners of a new knock out then cut with a Dremel.  Carling website has dimensions, just make a template and trace it.  They also have all the hundreds of switch configurations for wiring.

Then if you want custom covers  these guys https://rockerswitchpros.com/ look like a pretty good bet and not too pricey.   Rock on...🔗

Hey mike great find on the tool, being a tool junkie that can help when doing a difficult job. When i was in the bussiness of using my tools one that i made the most with was one the “straightened” the hole where the key lock fits in the door of ford econolines. Out here in Ca tweakers would sometimes ruin the door skins trying to break in