Tires

jacwjames

Hi Jim

I did go with the Toyo...  bought 8 M144 295/R22.5 from Motor Home Tires in TN for $551.00 installed in my driveway outside of Boston ...  I was very happy with the deal. Good tires, I only have about 2000 miles on them but they ride the same as my Michelins 

Mike R 

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I will be installing new tires in the next month or two, am interested in Toyo tires.  My current size is 295/80R22.5.  Has anyone purchased these tires recently, if so what did you pay???

I installed 4 Toyo 295/80r22.5 about a year ago with mounting and balance beads for $600 each.  Excellent ride with the new tires.  Currently have Michelin on the front but will replace with the Toyo when the time comes.

I replaced my drive Bridgestone tires with Toyo M144's size 295/80R-22.5 last March at Josam's in Orlando FL. Barry had the best price that I could find at the time.  $1600 for the tires and $120 for dismount and mount. I also purchased Balance Master for the rears at the same time. They were $220 or the set.

Two years ago I replaced the two Michelin steer tires with Toyo M144's at Boulevard Tire Center in FL and they charged me just over $1000 for the two tires mounted out the door.

I will be using Josam's for my tires anytime in the future as they are the best price and the best to deal with too.

I've started to check on Toyo prices from reputable shops near me, checked 4 different shops.  So far the best price I've gotten is ~$490 each out the door, so slightly less then $3K.   Other's were up to ~$3300 for a set so pretty close.   All the shops recommend spin balance versus the balance beads.  Not sure on this though as the last time I had tires put on the front the weighs spun off after the first trip. 

I did get a price for Yokohama's, they were more then the Toyo's

I'll do some more checking and probably pull the trigger early next year.  I will make sure the tires are new and not old stock.

Edited by jacwjames

Jim, instead of the balancing weights that they recommend to you and did for me the first time with new tires, I eventually went with balance masters and never worry about it again. Anyway, the spin balance in my area was $30 per wheel and the stick-on weights were still pretty stuck when I removed them after ~30k miles so it must have been a matter of cleaning the rim before application. Just my experience...

1 hour ago, fast72rs said:

Jim, instead of the balancing weights that they recommend to you and did for me the first time with new tires, I eventually went with balance masters and never worry about it again. Anyway, the spin balance in my area was $30 per wheel and the stick-on weights were still pretty stuck when I removed them after ~30k miles so it must have been a matter of cleaning the rim before application. Just my experience...

I've been using the same set of Centramatic Balancers.  (on both the steer and drive wheels/tires),  since '02. ... https://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml

They are currently on, with the 4th set of tires, on my now 150.000+ mile coach.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:25 AM, jacwjames said:

I've started to check on Toyo prices from reputable shops near me, checked 4 different shops.  So far the best price I've gotten is ~$490 each out the door, so slightly less then $3K.   Other's were up to ~$3300 for a set so pretty close.   All the shops recommend spin balance versus the balance beads.  Not sure on this though as the last time I had tires put on the front the weighs spun off after the first trip. 

I did get a price for Yokohama's, they were more then the Toyo's

I'll do some more checking and probably pull the trigger early next year.  I will make sure the tires are new and not old stock.

$490 per tire is a good price.

I replaced mine one axle at a time over 3 years. Price stayed the same each year. $550 per tire, spun balanced and installed.

This was in Oregon, so no tax.

11 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

$490 per tire is a good price.

I replaced mine one axle at a time over 3 years. Price stayed the same each year. $550 per tire, spun balanced and installed.

This was in Oregon, so no tax.

96 EVO

I suggest you check with  Community Tire Pros & Auto Repair :   https://communitytirepros.com/MyInstallers/store_finder, (They have three locations in the Phoenix, AZ, area) .

A friend recently got a set of  6 Sumitomo Tires for his Safari installed and balanced for $2,000,  ($334 each, plus sales tax).

I don't know if they sell Toyos.

Edited by Mel S, '96 Safari Sahara

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hinton8888

I have 295-75 Toyo m-177 on the front and M-144 rear .  I noticed that that the m-177 track better than the Bridgestone tires that I had previously.  I paid $500 each for the m-144. Steve 

• 8 months later...

Not sure about the one at the rear of the coach but the one up front is for a tow truck to hook up to in order to release the mechanical spring brakes on the rear axle wheels.

My coach has an air chuck located in the fuel bay on the drivers side. I have used it once but it was a pain in the ass to have the engine running with the engine air compressor running in order to just air up my tires. I now use a portable 155 psi air compressor that goes on all of our trips.

Edited by Dr4Film

Like Richard, we have front male air nipple in for the tow truck, rear female connection for toad brakes and an other female connector in propane tank area. That one is for tire inflation but you have to consider the pressure fluctuates roughly between 90 to 125 PSI. As the tank and tire pressure equalizes, the air flow slows down or even reverses depending how much pressure you need in your tire. When that happens, I would have to let enough air out of the tank for the compressor to kick in again. Considering that I run 115Psi in the steers, it takes patience. This is why I also carry a compressor in the hummer even though it is primarily used for off road situations.

During 9 years of the 10 years we full timed, i had a 15# powertank.com that i purchased from them for $.495.00. I used nitrogen by choice which i filled it with from Industrial Gas supply entity's. It was awesome, very quick, and the 15# tank would last for 1 to 1-1/2 years before refilling for 12-14$. I had a spot for it in the basement, and put quick disconnects on it for the 50' air line i used for the coach and Toad. I Sold it in 2014 for 350$. Best thing i ever did for the inflation issue we all have to address.

Paul A