Thermostat

When replacing a five button dometic duo therm thermostat with another one that is the exact same model is there anything that needs to be set up? I have two zones showing on my first thermostat that is acting up when I plug-in the new one it’s only showing zone one I did a reset but still the same thing. I’ve been looking online for manuals but they don’t say anything about setting up for zones.

I think the generic answer you get would be to clean the phone type connector,  with an eraser or otherwise. The thermostat only knows what it is told through the cable. If you haven't changed anything else up in the units, nothing should change.

Mike,

The new thermostat must be programmed for your setup.  First turn the thermostat off (black slide switch underneath).  Then hold down both the front top and bottom buttons simultaneously as you turn the bottom slide switch on.  Continue holding the buttons until you see FF in the display.  Then release the buttons and you are ready to go.  

The zones and options are set up in the control board dip switches inside the A/C units.  As long as they were correct before, they will be fine with your new 5 button. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well after some more digging I think my middle and rear ac units that are controlled by the rear thermostat are wired incorrectly or possibly a bad connection in one or both control boxes. As I said previously the original thermostat showed two zones when I plug it in. The problem is when I try and control them individually I doesn’t work. They both work in tandem…..they either are both on or both off. I have used the furnace setting and the Aqua hot works fine but when I use the ac or heat pump they both come on always. Now when I plug in the thermostat I just got the screen works but doesn’t show zone 2 and both ac units don’t come on no mater what setting I use. I took my front thermostat and plugged it in to the rear and it also is missing zone 2 but both units come on and seem to function ok. So basically I get three different results from the the thermostats. And yes I have reset all of them multiple times. I am leaving on a trip tomorrow so I’m not going to mess with it till I get back. It’s very perplexing as to why the zone two shows up on the original one but not the other two and they are all exactly the same

Are you the original owner of the Dynasty?  Did the original thermostat ever show all 3 zones?

Only thing I can think of is maybe the dip switches are set right as this is what the thermostat uses for determining zones.  Each AC unit has a row of dip switches with a separate one for Zone 1, 2, 3 etc.

Not sure if it's even possible to have different AC's as the same zone but it might be a possibility.

20 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

Well after some more digging I think my middle and rear ac units that are controlled by the rear thermostat are wired incorrectly or possibly a bad connection in one or both control boxes. As I said previously the original thermostat showed two zones when I plug it in. The problem is when I try and control them individually I doesn’t work. They both work in tandem…..they either are both on or both off. I have used the furnace setting and the Aqua hot works fine but when I use the ac or heat pump they both come on always. Now when I plug in the thermostat I just got the screen works but doesn’t show zone 2 and both ac units don’t come on no mater what setting I use. I took my front thermostat and plugged it in to the rear and it also is missing zone 2 but both units come on and seem to function ok. So basically I get three different results from the the thermostats. And yes I have reset all of them multiple times. I am leaving on a trip tomorrow so I’m not going to mess with it till I get back. It’s very perplexing as to why the zone two shows up on the original one but not the other two and they are all exactly the same

You probably know this….but did not respond.  Anytime you unplug the thermostat and plug it back in, regardless of where, it MUST BE RESET.  The post that said “PROGRAMMED” ….that is correct, except that, more correctly, resetting or doing the OFF, Hold Buttons, ON and then seeing FF on the display is actually letting or making the thermostat read all the downstream components.  Thus, the Thermostat will SELF PROGRAM.  If you did NOT clear or erase or reset the thermostat, then it really doesn’t have a clue what you have.  Again….anytime you unplug it….do the RESET.

NEXT ITEM. Pull the covers off all three AC’s.  I would order new Dual Inline Phone (female to female) connectors and replace them. I carry spares.  Use an a QTip and alcohol or ELECTRONIC contact cleaner and clean the male phone plugs. Then plug in and unplug a few times.  That polishes or burnishes the contacts.  This will fix 90+ % of the AC not  working issues.  Past that, some have had to cut off the ends and crimped on new terminals. 

You MUST have a complete circuit to all the items or components downstream for the Thermostat to reset or reprogram itself.

FINALLY. Many say the ON OFF switch is a failure point.  I leave mine ON and then use the MODE button turn it off.  

Try the above….then post if it works or not.  If NOT, THEN describe what the issue is.  Without doing the simple and obvious, then more specific trouble shooting cannot be done.

Thanks Tom for the the detailed advice. I will definitely do all of those steps and see if that fixes it. One question when you say pull the the covers off you mean the roof ac covers? Is that where the phone cables are best accessed?

1 hour ago, Georgia Mike said:

Thanks Tom for the the detailed advice. I will definitely do all of those steps and see if that fixes it. One question when you say pull the the covers off you mean the roof ac covers? Is that where the phone cables are best accessed?

Yes,

Whilst down, wash the filters. Look inside the AC house (silver) if there are gaps, then use HVAC Silver tape and seal the area. Better efficiency.

NOW, that you understand the basics....Part 2

There are TWO pigtails (male phone lines) hanging down from above. They are plugged into the INCOMING line....and go UP and back DOWN to the outgoing. That circuit has to always be active. WHEN you get a break....trouble.

NOW, the good news.  The hanging wire goes UP and to what is called the MAIN Control board. That "Module" has two phone lines.  FORTUNATELY, they are NOT polarized so it makes NO difference which one is plugged into the incoming or outgoing...as long as they are plugged in. I would take some tape or whatever and put them back like they were. The Control Modules are pretty bulletproof. YES, i do remember one or two failing. You can go up top, remove the cover, then disconnect all the wires and steal one, downstream....or whatever and test it.

So....ODDS are, you doing the proper reset should fix it . IF NOT....then clean and reseat and work on the phone connections. REMEMBER, every time you pull one...you have to the PROGRAM RESET...

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went over and started trouble shooting my thermostat problem. I found two phone cords coming down as you said and then went into a coupler. I replaced both phone couplers and then went to the middle unit. I found two cords coming down but only one phone cord coming from the rear ac unit. The other one is vacant. I replaced that coupler as well. I went on the roof and checked the connections on the boards and they looked shinny and gold no corrosion. I unplugged and plugged them back in a few times to make sure they are making connection. Went down and reset thermostat and still no zone 2. I then ran a new phone cord between the two units and then it wouldn’t work at all. I found out the cords they use for ac are reversed from end end so I’m going to have to cut off one end and flip the plug. Going to have to purchase a RJ11 crimping tool and some ends. I was able to tone out the cables and the two cords in the rear one goes to the thermostat and one goes to the middle unit. I don’t know for sure if both cords are 100% good but I don’t see any visible problems. Picture is middle ac. Could it bo possible the dip switches have been changed? I’m not sure what they are supposed to be. Also where does the Aqua Hot tie into this phone cord?

433D8116-A747-4508-9523-A29AFAFE1905.jpeg

When I replaced both rooftop AC's on the Windsor I used my Sperry Instruments cable tester to verify all of the cables from the thermostat to the rear AC and the cable from the rear to the front AC. The front AC has one unused connector. The purpose of the two connectors is so you can daisy chain the AC's if needed. With three AC's and only two thermostats you would have two AC's that would be daisy chained and then one by itself.

My Dynasty has one thermostat in the bedroom which controls the rear and middle AC and one thermostat in the kitchen which controls the front AC.

So I went over today and ran new phone cords between the units and the thermostat and it did the same thing. No zone 2. I cleaned all the contacts with alcohol I went up on the roof to clean the contacts on the boards and noticed the dip switches. On the middle AC unit zone two seemed to be off so I switch that on and Wala everything is working perfect. I can’t believe it was that simple so freaking happy.

E625BCE8-084F-4F1C-A1EF-AF8F42F8F856.jpeg

So how did the dip switches get changed? Did anyone mess around up there? How could it have worked correctly with the old thermostat and not work correctly with the new thermostat? You only replaced the 5 button CCC with a new one, correct?

Was that AC recently replaced by the previous owner?

I highly doubt that it came that way from the factory. If it is a new AC then the person who installed it didn't have a clue as to the proper installation procedures.

Plus, if it is a new model Penguin II then it must have had the new board replaced with a conversion board that works with the "older" style CCC thermostat versus the new CCC-II 10 Button Thermostat.

Hopefully the PO gave you the new control board so when you need to replace the rear AC you can upgrade to a new style thermostat that requires the new Penguin II control board in both the rear and middle AC's.

The PO of my coach gave me the board such that when I need to replace the middle AC, I can remove the conversion board from the rear AC and reinstall the new board that it came with. Then both the rear and middle AC's will have the correct boards in them for talking correctly with either the new 10 button Dometic CCC-II or the new Micro Air Thermostat that is Wi-Fi capable.

Richard, from the day I got it both AC units worked in tandem I could not work them separately whatever I set the thermostat at that’s what they both ran at. When I got the new thermostat it did the same thing nothing changed that’s when I started investigating the phone cords and all along it was the DIP switch setting. 

D0704C08-549E-4573-B318-C0B941E12137.jpeg

Got it! So, they were both operating as one zone. Makes sense.

Are these new Penguin II's or are they the old-style Penguin AC's?

What vintage are your three AC's?

I have one new Penguin II in the bedroom and two original Penguin's in the living area.

Whoever replaced the rear AC with a new Penguin II was cheap and decided NOT to install the drain cups and extra gasket. So now the rear AC drips water all of the roof and down the sides. When I have to replace the front two older Penguins with new Penguin II's I will remove the rear AC at the same time and install the drain cup kit to it as it should have been done originally.

The owner I bought it from said he didn’t replace any ac units. He bought it from a dealer so I’m not sure. I do know that the middle ac has a different compressor then the other two. It is on its side and the other have compressors that stand up. I’m thinking it must have been replaced or the control board replaced. It doesn’t make sense how the dip switches got changed. I would have to look at the model number to see if it’s a penguin 2. 

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

So how did the dip switches get changed? Did anyone mess around up there? How could it have worked correctly with the old thermostat and not work correctly with the new thermostat? You only replaced the 5 button CCC with a new one, correct?

Was that AC recently replaced by the previous owner?

I highly doubt that it came that way from the factory. If it is a new AC then the person who installed it didn't have a clue as to the proper installation procedures.

Plus, if it is a new model Penguin II then it must have had the new board replaced with a conversion board that works with the "older" style CCC thermostat versus the new CCC-II 10 Button Thermostat.

Hopefully the PO gave you the new control board so when you need to replace the rear AC you can upgrade to a new style thermostat that requires the new Penguin II control board in both the rear and middle AC's.

The PO of my coach gave me the board such that when I need to replace the middle AC, I can remove the conversion board from the rear AC and reinstall the new board that it came with. Then both the rear and middle AC's will have the correct boards in them for talking correctly with either the new 10 button Dometic CCC-II or the new Micro Air Thermostat that is Wi-Fi capable.

Richard, I spent you a PM. Several folks have had their systems "MISPROGRAMMED". Monaco was inconsistent and they had "AC's" labeled as to certain locations. BUT, when things got hectic, they just PULLED an AC...

We have a very well educated and astute and knowledgeable individual who's AC system was NOT programmed like the prints. He spent quite a bit of time getting it corrected. He has a hidden Zone 4 controller that never worked for his AH...until he made sure that the FURNACE DIP was on for ALL the 4 controls and that the middle was ZONE 2 and the Rear was ZONE 3 and the Fourth, quasi hidden controller....not ON ANY AC....obviously, was Zone 4.  Never underestimate Monaco.

I had to reprogram my units as they were messed up also....

4 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

Richard, from the day I got it both AC units worked in tandem I could not work them separately whatever I set the thermostat at that’s what they both ran at. When I got the new thermostat it did the same thing nothing changed that’s when I started investigating the phone cords and all along it was the DIP switch setting. 

D0704C08-549E-4573-B318-C0B941E12137.jpeg

Mike,

Congratulations on your DISCOVERY. There was a similar post going and I stay "confused" as the details change...

OK....FWIW.....look at the print below.  I pulled down the 2006 Dynasty prints in our files and it does NOT have an index (Frank would welcome anyone to do one)....LOL

OK....I can't copy Text from the PDF and get to go here....here is the skinny.

Front Thermostat ONLY controls the Front AC.  The FURNACE DIP (Fifth from the LEFT) must be ON....NOTHING ELSE

Middle AC (the one I THINK in your picture).  Labeled as ZONE 2 NOTHING ELSE.  NOW a word of Explanation. You have the OLDER AH unit. It does NOT have a fourth zone, like the 08's or maybe the 07's do. SO...the FURNACE SWITCH IS OFF....

Rear AC - Bedroom.  ONLY the FURNACE SWITCH IS ON.  NOTHING ELSE.

Now, for you information and logic. When there is NO ZONE designation, then the Thermostat that "feeds" that loop or end....designates the Unit as ZONE 1.  Thus, no ZONE 1 switch on the DIP. 

Your FRONT AC is controlled ONLY by the Front TSTAT.....

NOW...applying that Logic to the REAR.  The Rear AC only has the FURNACE Switch on. That then designates the Rear AC as ZONE 1.

The MIDDLE, as you know, MUST be selected as ZONE 2.

NOW....to the AquaHot (AH). You only have TWO AH zones. (like mine). There is the REAR Zone.  So the rear AC's control Module has a set of wires going to the AH. When you selected the FURNACE switch, that will allow you to see the FURNACE mode on it....AND it will then control the AH on and off from the setting on Zone 1 or the REAR Bedroom AC.

Zone 2 has NO FURNACE setting because your AH only has TWO PUMPS for interior heat. Thus....leave the Furnace on....

Front....same as the REAR AC. You only have ONE ZONE....and that is what works it....

NOW....for the KILLER....  There are, in reality, TWO separate AC systems.  The phone cables do NOT connect the Thermostats to each other. The Thermostat is the BRAIN...but any time you make a change, you HAVE to reset the thermostat....otherwise, it does NOT know what is downstream

Your middle Unit was a 13KBTU unit and the front and rear were 15KBTU. That MIGHT explain why they are different....who knows....but that is it.

BTW...I have provided you with a COMPLETE set of Drawings as well as the one I printed out as a PDF for the HVAC System (38041203)

Good Luck...

2006 Dynasty HVAC Layout 38041203.pdf 2006_Dynasty_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf

My 2006 Dynasty Countess is configured this way for AC/HP & Aqua-Hot.

Front CCC controls the front AC, HP & Aqua-Hot. The CCC will display Cool for AC, Heat Pump for HP and Furnace for the Aqua-Hot.

The rear CCC controls the middle AC/HP and Aqua-Hot which is Zone 2 on the CCC plus it also controls the rear AC/HP and Aqua-Hot which is Zone 1 on the CCC.

There is no Zone 4 in my Cooling/Heating System therefore I don't have to worry about a special board hidden somewhere.

Don't know what the Dip Switches are set at up top on each AC control board but whatever they are it's correct for my operating system. If any unit is replaced up top at least I have enough common sense to set the Dip Switches identical to what is in there now.

6 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

My 2006 Dynasty Countess is configured this way for AC/HP & Aqua-Hot.

Front CCC controls the front AC, HP & Aqua-Hot. The CCC will display Cool for AC, Heat Pump for HP and Furnace for the Aqua-Hot.

The rear CCC controls the middle AC/HP and Aqua-Hot which is Zone 2 on the CCC plus it also controls the rear AC/HP and Aqua-Hot which is Zone 1 on the CCC.

There is no Zone 4 in my Cooling/Heating System therefore I don't have to worry about a special board hidden somewhere.

Don't know what the Dip Switches are set at up top on each AC control board but whatever they are it's correct for my operating system. If any unit is replaced up top at least I have enough common sense to set the Dip Switches identical to what is in there now.

The Zone 4, based on looking at the drawings for 2006 and the 07/08 was a running change....maybe in late 2007. You are correct, based on the drawings that I went over. I'll wager you do NOT have the Dual Heat AH system. The Ones with more capacity...which were not on Bill Groves' 2006, were added later on and are on the 08's....the tail end 07's. That required the use of the extra Zone 4 controllers.

There are actually two similar threads going....and the other one...with the Remote Sensor NOT INSTALLED, seems to be OK Now...

This one sounds like George is OK also.  A never ending battle....Thanks...