!2 VDC system question

RustyH

Gents,

Have a 2009 Diplomat and was traveling home yesterday and my 12 VDC system shut off, I live in South Texas and it was extremely hot. Is there a thermal overload switch in the system? Got home, cycled the chassis cut off switch in the battery bay and the 12 VDC came back up, just need to know a point to start trouble shooting.

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Two places, the House & Chassis Disconnect Switches plus the Battery Cut-Off Relay are all places where there have been multiple failures.

What brand of disconnect switches are currently in your coach?

Where is the cut off relay located on an 05-09 diplomat? 

4 hours ago, Bootlegger 659 said:

Where is the cut off relay located on an 05-09 diplomat? 

Welcome.

Suggest you download the electrical prints….they MAY be in your manual.  Use the search box…more and click Files.  Put in Electrical Diagrams.  Scroll down and there will a set.  Download.

if you did not get your manual, then go to Monaco Coach and follow the Owners Link.  You can also download the sales brochure.  This has a lot of information on the standard and optional items.

The Battery Switch on the door controls a relay, up front.  We lovingly call it the idiot salesman switch.  It was designed to cut off all interior power.  It will….at the most inopportune time.  You need to move one of the cables from one stud to the other stud and put on the locknut, thus bypassing.  If the cables do have that much play, then buy the NAPA 781144 cable.  Anything longer will cause a voltage drop.  If you are uncertain to which it is , put your hand on the metal housing and have your wife cycle the switch back and forth.  You will feel the armature move AP back and forth.  Not knowing your electrical system that well, there are, I believe two large relays or solenoids up there.  One is the battery boost which has a higher rated amperage, 200 or maybe higher, and the salesman one which is typically 80 amps.  In doubt, take a picture or two and knowledgeable folks will identify.

Post picture of the panel below the driver. The large one. Probably no changes from a 2008 so the "salesman solenoid is the likely culprit".

Large relay/solenoid in the bottom left of the panel. It that is the case there is plenty of information the group can post on diagnosing it or simply bypassing it. Mine has been gone for so many years I have forgotten about it.

The relay is activated by a switch near your entry. That relay controls a ton of 12 volt systems. It latches on when activated. Resetting the batteries may have simply recycled it and it hit a good spot on the contacts when re-awakened.