2009 Beaver Patriot - No Hot Water for Shower

Boy, we had a great day moving into our new rig then…

Good news plenty of hot water from Aqua Hot!

Bad news hot at all faucets, but no hot in shower 🤔

Checked manifold it’s on, but we have no idea why no hot in shower?

if this has happened to anyone we would really appreciate where to look next, or we are going to get pretty stinky😂

Don, thanks for the suggestion…this rig has had very little use been sitting most of the 13 years and probably 0 showers in at least six years….we are not overly good plumbers is there anyway to be sure…

We did notice cold has lots of pressure, hot not so much…

Without taking the mixing valve apart (not difficult, hard part is figuring out who made it and what model then Google for you tube video) the only other way is to turn off the hot water to the mixing valve at the manifold then disconnect the hot water line from the rear of the mixing valve then turn the water back on. The problem is how/where to deal with the water which depends on each individual install. In most cases you won't have enough PEX hose to devert the water into a bucket and run it long enough to get hot water. If by some fluke you have enough tubing then gently bend the tubing (do not kink it) into a bucket and you be should get hot water within 10-20 seconds. Two person job holding the hose/bucket and turning on the valve.

Personally I would research how to change out a couple different kinds mixing valve cores and go for replacing the mixing valve core. Once you get the core out it's easy to match a replacement at the local hardware store. If you're still not comfortable a decent plumbing could have it done in 30-60 minutes.

If had to replace the shower and kitchen faucet and need to do at least one and possible 2 bathroom sink faucets. Not using them for long periods is as bad as using the every 10 minutes and any rubber over 10 years old is operating on borrowed time.

Ok pretty sure that is it…

of course we tested all the faucets for hot water thru Aqua Hot and thought we were all good to go didn’t eventhink about running shower☹️.  Is the mixing valve behind the plate where the handle is?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Ok pretty sure that is it…

of course we tested all the faucets for hot water thru Aqua Hot and thought we were all good to go didn’t eventhink about running shower☹️.  Is the mixing valve behind the plate where the handle is?

Thanks

SEE EDIT BELOW ON A NEEDED PM ON GENNY

Not knowing exactly how the manifold is plumbed, I would look at it and then get a fitting from a Lowes or a hardware store for it and short length of tubing.  Disconnect the line to the shower and then hook up the temporary one and make sure that you have hot water coming out.  Turn off the valve (I think there is one) on the block and let the Hot Water heat up.  Then open the valve...is there is no valve then install a simple quarter turn on on the end of the temporary or test line.  Old Dog's post is informative....and I am sort of providing you with a little "understanding" and he and I are saying the same things....just different vertiage....or suggestions.

There are TWO kind of showers valves.  One is the kind where you have a single knob or handle and you push it one way for hot (Left) and the other for cold (Right).  

That is actually the older one....think an old Delta faucet.  The other kind is a thermostatic protection valve.  You rotate it and the further you rotate it, the MORE hot water you get. That is designed to prevent accidental scalding or burns. There is usually an adjustment on the valve. when you remove the handle and the plate, then you will see a ring or some type of index pointer.  That actually limits the travel of the handle.  Some plumbers (Monaco for example) will leave it set to the factory....which is preset for a certain temperature.  Others will adjust.

Assuming you have hot water, then removing the "valve body" would be the next thing.  If you identify it as a Moen....commonly used by Monaco, then you can call Moen and they will help you identify the type of control and send you a cartridge....FREE.  Delta does this also.

I would remove the valve and take it out.  THERE may be an obstruction or a piece of trash in it.  THAT DOES HAPPEN.  BEFORE you do that....make sure that you know WHICH line from the block goes to the shower for Hot and Cold. TURN THEM OFF.  Then take a hand towel and put it over the valve opening and have someone turn on the COLD....briefly.  That will flush the line.  Repeat for Hot.  NOTICE the streams....so let them run for a few seconds or so.  The streams should be equal in flow and pressure.  If they are....then you have a defective mixing valve or the core in the shower. 

If you have the single knob or lever style, that is usually one that has replaceable "Washers" or O-RIngs and springs and such. You WILL need to remove the seals or the washers and then blow out the lines.

I would also remove ALL the aerators from the faucets and inspect them for debris.....clean or replace.  NOW....since this coach sat, it should have the water system disinfected. There should be instructions in the owner's manual. DO NOT USE THE WATER FOR COOKING...unless you boil it.  Do NOT use the ice. Do NOT DRINK IT.  Once you have sanitized it, then you rinse it and are good to go.

Even in MH's that get a lot of use, the O rings and washers in the faucets fail. I have an 09 Camelot and the vanity faucet had a large O-ring seal under it on the stem or the valve body. One day....one was like a geyser. I pulled off the top and found that the sealing O-ring was leaking.  You can usually go to a hardware store and find O-rings or to an auto supply house. I happened to have a large assortment of O-Rings in a "kit" that someone gave me.  I found a suitable one and used silicone grease and replaced it...

I would also suggest that you cycle or use the AquaHot in the furnace mode and also the HVAC system in the HEAT mode. You need to make sure that all the pumps and valving in the AH work. You need to make sure that the Reversing Valves (the Valves that turn the AC in to a Heat Pump) work. 

The other thing....VERY IMPORTANT....the Genny needs a FULL WORKOUT....as you MAY have issues with some "stray electrons"....especially with the washer. Most folks will fully load the Genny by running the AC's and the Microwave and even adding in a toaster and also running the electric AH.  You want to get it as close to max as you can.  

EDIT WITH CHANGE IN PARAMETERS….Do that for at LEAST an hour…maybe 2 due to the time it has set….and it must have a 75% load….on both sides….That tends to burnish or polish the "brushes" in the Genny.  You then need to run it for a while rather than use Shore Power.  If you have "control or issues" with the cycling or operation of the washer, and it works GREAT on Shore...then the Genny needs to be loaded and run to clean up things....

There are folks that fully understand this and might Chime in....

BTW....I changed the title.  We need to have MORE specific information on the problem....as that gives folks the ability to search later on.  In the future, use the same format or similar that I do.

Thanks and Good Luck

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2009 Beaver Patriot - No Hot Water for Shower

I have not seen anyone mention that the older Moen single handle shower valves also may have what Moen calls a Balancing Spool.  I have a 2006 Dynasty that has this Moen shower faucet and when I purchased my bus, the inspector didn't catch that there was no hot water in the shower.  The Balancing Spool is a separate non-adjustable valve that balances water flow between that hot and cold as pressure changes.   If you have a Moen faucet that has a Balancing Spool, I would change both the Cartridge and the Balancing Spool, just due to age.

Link to video on replacing a Balancing Spool Valve:  

Good luck.

There is likely a temperature adjustment setting under the single handle shower valve cover.  Remove the handle and look for a temperature control setting.  If you have a Moment, here is a link on how to do it.  There are a few different designs.  Use Google to find them.

https://solutions.moen.com/Article_Library/How_to_Adjust_the_Moentrol_Temperature_Limit_Stop#:~:text=The water temperature from my Moen shower system is too,to exceed 120°F).

Don't discount that the bad mixing valve, if that's the problem, may be the mixing valve built into the AquaHot itself. I have replaced two over the years. When they go they seem to go quickly without much warning. 

Any certified AquaHot technician can replace the valve. Since the unit is new to you it is probably a good time to have the annual service done anyway.

Ken

Thanks for all the info, starting to troubleshoot here is a pic of ours…

does it look like a brand someone has?

B1F12F96-C0FA-474B-90B9-FC18A3F2B4BB.jpeg

Would it be the Aqua Hot mixing valve, if we have Hot everywhere else?

Also, we are on our way back to Oregon currently in Rawlins Wy population 8,000 next stop is Coalville Ut close to Park City think there could be better resources there…

It looks like what we have in the house but different color. Won't really know until you take the handle off. Ours is a Moen and I had replaced 2 cartridges already, after we were gone on the road for a while. It is always the hot water that does not work. Not hard, videos on YouTube help.

Guest Ray Davis

I'm with Ivan,  it's almost gotta be the shower valve, and that should be servicable from inside the shower.

It's been quite since I worked on mine but back then I could just pull the mixing cartarge out take it to Lowes or  Home Depot and they could match it up.  We live in a different world today so who knows.

BTW, you might pull that cartage out & clean it up,  it may be just fine. 

Or have you tried moving the handle around vigorously over & over? 

You might get hot water flowing that way and if that worked you would probably be good from now on.

Edited by Ray Davis

New Moen cartridge and shower water is HOT! Thanks to all 2 less stinky people walking around today!
Have noticed that although our pressure regulator is set to 50 psi  we are clearly lower than that in house will need to start backtracking to see if the sitting has also created some small blockages along the way…

Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Will do that for our showers today!

Now that the alligators hide has been tanned.  

Flush out the faucets with the aerators off….be a big spender and buy new.

Sanitize  the system per the manual.

Exercise and run the Genny to clean the brushes….see the changes in my post on the parameters

Then, for the moment….Start to focus in draining the swamps.  leave more room on the shed for additional alligator hides….there will be many.

SO FAR…so good..

20 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Great!  The adventure begins. 

Clean and inspect the regulator.  If that doesn't do it, then increase the regulator to 60 and also run the 12v water pump for showers.  

I tried that once at a park with low pressure. Result was it only took water from my tank 🤔!