Slide out adjustment

21 minutes ago, 4rickyg said:

05 Navigator. Passenger side living room slide. Seems to be about one and a 1/2 inches further out on 1 side than the other? Not sure how to adjust this. I don't think it has anything to do with the rollers underneath?

Is it a rack & pinion electric driven slide or is it hydraulic?

Do you know the brand of slide mechanism?

If it was R&P with an electric motor, I could help you. However, I am not familiar with adjusting hydraulic driven slides yet, but I need to learn more about them as I now have three on our Dynasty that we purchased earlier this year.

I would send Chris Throgmartin a personal message as he is our resident slide expert.

There should be both a track and a smooth shiny shaft under the slide if it is hydraulic, correct?  Maybe a pair on each end of the slide.  The shafts (on mine) are driven by a hydraulic cylinder.  I don't know the details of how it works either.  If yours has two hydraulic shafts, a guess might be that one cylinder isn't getting fluid because the reservoir on the master cylinder is low on fluid (which should be checked with the slides retracted).  There might also be air in the lines.  Either one could cause the cylinder with the low pressure to be unable to drive the slide out fully. 

Do you know where the reservoir is to check the hydraulic fluid?  If not, I can tell you where mine is, although it could be different. 

I also notice your slide topper is taught on the front and quite slack on the rear.  
I don’t have hydraulic slides, but I would assume they would extend to the extent of hitting the stop ring on the cylinder.  Is something getting wedged perhaps?
If it’s rack and pinion, my bedroom slide has skipped a gear on the rack and pinion drive once. It happened after my DW was extending it and a pillow got wedged.  The button was held until she assumed it was fully extended. 🙄

I noticed the slack on the slide topper on one side. That's how I realized it wasn't fully extended. I also always hold the button-down a couple seconds longer to make sure it is all the way out. I will check the fluid. Does not seem to act like there is air in the lines..

15 hours ago, 4rickyg said:

05 Navigator. Passenger side living room slide. Seems to be about one and a 1/2 inches further out on 1 side than the other? Not sure how to adjust this. I don't think it has anything to do with the rollers underneath?

20220829_152133.jpg

20220829_152117.jpg

20220829_152030.jpg

20220829_152009.jpg

Refer to your manual on pages 218 - 220.  This is in section 5.  I pulled the Executive (Monaco) manual, but it should be a twin to your Navigator.  You have hydraulic slides in the “main living area”.  There are pictures of the pump styles.  With all the slides in and the steps in and Genny in, check the fluid in the reservoir. It is probably ATF, but read your manual and verify. If you stick your finger in or a piece of paper towel rolled up like a pencil, if should be “reddish” in color.

You might try the following.  Extend the other slide.  Hold in the button for maybe the count of 123…after it stops.  Then retract and do the same.  Most knowledgeable folks say to hold it for just a fraction of a second…you should hear the motor change pitch or frequency.  Now do that for the Genny…assuming it works off the same system….and it might not…but the holding in briefly let’s the motor and valves complete the entire cycle.  Next up…steps.

Finally, the last one or the one giving you a problem.  You might cycle it in and out several times….and hold the button for maybe 1234…. There is a balancing cylinder, I believe, in the system, to equalize or let the two cylinders “move” at the same speed.  You can watch the larger slide and might see it “sort of walk” as one side gets a little ahead and then the other catches up.  Cycling and allowing the system to run for a fraction of a second makes them “happier”.  I actually extend both slides and then tap the extend buttons on each to make sure they traveled all the way.  I do that on the retracts.  

Let us know.

Reread the entire post.  Do as suggested, to purge anybair, but it sounds like you have been doing it right.

Retract both front slides.  Look at the flange or the edges (vertical).  Use a ladder and look at the top section down to the bottom.  Pay attention to the main slide.

Then inspect the passenger slide…both sides….if all are flush, extend both slides.  Measure the main slide….top and bottom.  Then go inside.  Try to look or feel the “gap” or fit of the main slide’s fit on the edges where it mates up with the interior walls.  That gives you an idea about the exterior and interior fit of one that seems to be properly “aligned”.

Repeat for the passenger slide.  if it still measures different, I would get it looked at.  You don’t list a city or state, but we have a member with a shop near Tampa. @throgmartin  I would contact him.

it is not unusual for one side or corner of a topper to sag.  My main front (hydraulic) slide has a sag in the front.  It is a bit different from yours, as it “drops down” when extended.  But the refrigerator is on the slide in the back rear corner….so that weight stretches the rear corner of the topper and then causes a sag in the front edge.

DO the cycling….maybe several times on the passenger….if no change, PM Chris Throgmartin and contact him.  He offers advice and his techs know slides…

16 hours ago, 4rickyg said:

20220829_152133.jpg

20220829_152117.jpg

20220829_152030.jpg

20220829_152009.jpg

You could have a few things going on.  First, unless you really understand how the slide mechanism works, making adjustments might cause more harm than good.

When you start with the slide fully retracted does the slide go out evenly until the very end where one end stops extending and the other end continues to go out the extra inch?  Is the interior seal not touching across the whole top of the slideout? (I suspect you have one side not sealing with the slide fully extended.)

You likely have an X-slide room mechanism.  Take a close look to see if there is any damage to the chain links, loose or missing hardware.  When the slide is fully retracted you can inspect the mechanism from the interior on both sides of the slide.  Here are a few screen shots that you might find helpful.

Screenshot_20220914-092628.png

Screenshot_20220914-092450.png

• Like 1

Yes when I look around the back of the slide interior it is definitely the X slide type mechanism. Just very hard to see it. I guess I will have to remove Moldings. I have done the Air purge and cycling quite a few times I do not think that is the issue. I think something is keeping it from going all the way out like an adjustment or a Obstruction. I do not think it is hydraulic at this point?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 4rickyg said:

Yes when I look around the back of the slide interior it is definitely the X slide type mechanism. Just very hard to see it. I guess I will have to remove Moldings. I have done the Air purge and cycling quite a few times I do not think that is the issue. I think something is keeping it from going all the way out like an adjustment or a Obstruction. I do not think it is hydraulic at this point?

The moldings are held on with black industrial grade velcro. Pull hard, steady, and they will come off. I would also remove the bed, and remove the enclosure , that covers the track, etc for the sldie. PLEASE refer to the manual for your situation. A work in progress, but you will find the cause, which will be obvious. 

28 minutes ago, 4rickyg said:

If the slide goes out evenly and at the end of travel one end stops and the other end continues, it is likely not a hydraulic issue.  The side coming up short and not sealing to the side wall is where I would focus my attention.  Take a very close look at the chain links for any damage (a common failure point) but usually you would be hearing odd noises.  Also look at the adjustment nuts - are they tight.  If this is not a new to you coach, was the slide operating correctly before?  Keep in mind that the slide could have been improperly adjusted by a previous owner.