replacement for Rand McNally 7720

My Rand Mcnally 7720 fell off the window onto the tiled floor. Now the volume is low and difficult for me to hear.  I am reviewing GPS RV and like a larger screen although that would not be the determining factor. I am wondering if there is a GPS that the majority of you are using or several that I should seriously consider.

Thanks, 

Denny Wagaman

2011 Monaco Camelot DFT 43

Denny,   i have used the Rand McNally 7710 since 2014, it still works, but is no longer supported for updates by Rand McNally.  I have researched new GPS systems from several manufacturers, but each one, when checking reviews, seems to have issues.  It seems my choice is between the lesser of two evils.  Good luck.   This may not be helpful, but perhaps you can do better at the process of elimination.

Ray Webb

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor

We have used Garmins for years and now are using the RV780 version.  It's not perfect but I don't think any of them are.  It's easy to program the device itself but many people use Garmin Basecamp online and import it to the device.

Patricia Neuzil

'06 Monaco Diplomat

I had a Rand McNally 7740 that died.  While shopping for a replacement, I began using the GPS built into the RVLife app on my tablet and my phone.  Using a bluetooth bone conduction headset like Shokz OpenRun Pro gives me good volume for the GPS and still  allows for conversation with my wife.   Like all GPS's, there are occasional anomalies,  but RVLife fixes them soon after I report them. 

I just recently got the Garmin RV780. I don't have anything to compare it with since I wasn't using one before. There are several thing things I don't like but much that I do like. As I get used to using it I'm pretty happy with it.

I have a Rand Mc Nally, and would never buy one (mine was a gift)!

d*** thing couldn't get me home while I was driving down the road I live on, heading towards my house 😖! It wanted me to turn off and take a mountain bike trail!

I've nearly tossed this POS out the window several times while traveling in unknown areas.

I'll replace it with a Garmin.

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III (antique but still liked and used), a Tom Tom (began life in a drawer and will end life in a drawer) and a Garmin RV770 in the Coach.

The one thing I HATE about the RV770 is it's lack of detail.  Even with "most detail" selected I'll see a few major roads, maybe a large town named (8 mi scale).  Many times there's nothing, no towns, no street ID, nothing.  Just lines.  Sometimes I can't tell where the heck I am (looking at the GPS).  The Street Pilot gives more detail.  The RV770 seems to be dumbed down.  Nice pictures but not always much good. 

509214892_GarminGPSScreen.thumb.jpg.6fa627058507eb950175786703ea3ad3.jpg

Google Maps, OTOH, has all the features of a sweet GPS, does auto-routing, fast re-routes when off course, AND A LOT MORE DETAIL.  It's also more challenging to use while driving, doesn't account for big rigs, needs Wi-Fi to work, requires a tablet and a custom mount, AND SOMETIMES WILL TAKE YOU PLACES YOU DON'T WANT TO GO!  Here's the same screen in Google Maps.  Towns, road names, features magically appear, including a major interstate.

313738938_GPSGoogleScreen.thumb.jpg.18395e963e53c673ff7b0159cea8f3c6.jpg

Google is a lot easier to locate addresses and services.  You just zoom in on an area and type "restaurant" or fuel like "Loves" in the search box.  With Garmin there's several steps / screens, including selecting which town to search in, before getting results, which is a list and not on a map.  But now you can save it.  With Google Maps there are several steps to save waypoints and points of interest. 

If I had a co-pilot I'd recommend Google Maps as primary with Garmin RVxxx as secondary. 

Good luck,

- bob

We actually run 2 Garmin RV780's, and for the most part are pretty satisfied, but you always have to check on it.  In fact just a couple days ago, after inputting the entire route they tried to take us on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  As far as a previous post on the 770 with no detail, I don't know but it sounds like not going in close enough, the 780 has plenty of detail IMO.  We do more than 10,000 miles year and stay at lots and lots of campgrounds, and 99.9% of them are in the database and in the right place.

RVLife - map out routes anytime, and save them using phone, tablet, or computer.    Then, day of travel, pull up the same route on phone, tablet, (or computer using a hotspot), on the RVLife GPS portion of the app.   Boom, turn by turn directions with automatically up-to-date maps.  Campgrounds, fuel stops, points of interest all included.  I doubt that i will ever buy a single purpose GPS.  I can't think if a reason to do so, especially after reading all the negative reviews. 

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

RVLife - map out routes anytime, and save them using phone, tablet, or computer.    Then, day of travel, pull up the same route on phone, tablet, (or computer using a hotspot), on the RVLife GPS portion of the app.   Boom, turn by turn directions with automatically up-to-date maps.  Campgrounds, fuel stops, points of interest all included.  I doubt that i will ever buy a single purpose GPS.  I can't think if a reason to do so, especially after reading all the negative reviews. 

Does it still work without cell coverage?

After reading many positive reviews about the Garmin890 I plunked down $600 and for the last 6 months it has been a paper weight. Unless you are real comfortable with Garmin soft ware I find it a pain to use. Also, it must be plugged into 12v to operate. Although it has battery power it is not sufficient to power the GPS (this came directly from Garmin). Currently I use google.com/maps and double check if the toute has tunnels or overpasses. For me it has been a waste of money.

We live dangerously and use Google maps and Waze on a tablet that also serves as a remote for AC control and solar and whatever else. If it wasn't for Miss B (I am not allowed to call her by full name anymore), I would not know of all the dirt and farm road shortcuts she tried to put us on, sometimes successfully:) But I (or my wife, if I ask nicely while driving) scout out suspicious roads in satellite view. I got too many expired GPS units somewhere on a shelf to invest in an other one. If I was serious, in areas we don't know yet, I would try RVlife as mentioned above.

Screenshot_20221008_161528_Maps.jpg

Ivan k, too use RV LIFE/TRIPWIZARD to double check. Yes,  GM has taken us down some sketchy roads so I too will double check when in unfamiliar areas.

When GM first came on the market it had a lot of glitches but has improved greatly. I wish they had an add on or a shell in which you could add detail for heigh,, length etc. Once upon a time Garmin was a good product but it has not kept up imo.

4 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

Yes,  GM has taken us down some sketchy roads so I too will double check when in unfamiliar areas.

And just today the RV770 send me a mile down a one lane country road that would have been a cinch from another direction.  Good thing no one was coming the other way.  Yes it was in motorhome mode. 

The Garmin route was longer, too.  Go figure

- bob