Window Glass Shattered

Any help on replacing upper insulated glass in bedroom window appreciated. Has anyone taken apart the frame themselves to replace? Ive done YouTube search but nothing on actual breakdown of frame. Haven't found local glass shop that will do insulated, only laminated.

72889A89-92B1-4959-9E51-84C8AF84AA64.jpeg

Duncan is irritating. They ONLY carry GREY tinted glass and WILL NOT guarantee a match. I told them it would be like putting a red fender on a green car. My windows are bronze tint and I wanted a match. I went to a regular local glass company and they removed the window, cut an exact replacement and reinstalled it. All for less than Duncan was going to charge. Since it was less than Duncan, their recommendation, they waived my deductible. OK rant over.

That window is nothing special. They are simply double paned glass. Any reputable glass shop can fix it for you. What's important is the color match and making sure it's safety glass. Call around....I used Auto Boss in Mesa, Az. Don't know where you are......Dennis

15 minutes ago, Steve Hepfer said:

Call Duncan and tell them what window and your coach information.  Not sure if they have a shop near you but you can have it shipped and install yourself.

I’ll try calling as the info from them via email is only that they are obsolete. Apparently they think I want a whole window.

6 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Duncan is irritating. They ONLY carry GREY tinted glass and WILL NOT guarantee a match. I told them it would be like putting a red fender on a green car. My windows are bronze tint and I wanted a match. I went to a regular local glass company and they removed the window, cut an exact replacement and reinstalled it. All for less than Duncan was going to charge. Since it was less than Duncan, their recommendation, they waived my deductible. OK rant over.

That window is nothing special. They are simply double paned glass. Any reputable glass shop can fix it for you. What's important is the color match and making sure it's safety glass. Call around....I used Auto Boss in Mesa, Az. Don't know where you are......Dennis

Im in Northern California right now and soon to home in Ashland,Oregon. Every glass shop I’ve contacted so far gave me the info of the process is to cut two pieces of glass then send them out wherever to temper then assemble to then install. Im leaving area before all that can be done.

5 minutes ago, Cruzbill said:

That Duncan Systems. Already trying to work with them as they have replaced two of my windshields. But, not getting a good feeling this time around.

11 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Call RV Glass Solutions in Coburg Oregon. They can replace the glass only with original or laminated glass.

https://www.rvglassexperts.com/

Thanks Richard.

I am waiting for return call as I have left a couple of messages already. They did not mention about being able to replace with insulated glass, only laminated as they are phasing out the insulated in a voicemail they left me.

Edited by Gary M

I have defogged 4 of our most used/slammed windows so I know that it is easy to replace one, once you have the glass. Ours just needed polishing and resealing so I did not have to take it anywhere. Once you pull the frame out of the wall, you'll see small screws holding it all together. Pry it apart a bit to free the glass from its rubber seal and pull it out. Then you can take it wherever they can match, cut and temper. Sealing the panes is very doable unless you want argon or whatever gas in it but it is also probably cheaper to have it done by them since it is a single small piece and you don't pay for the excess material and tools. I've done ours more than 2 years ago and still holding fine.

26 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

+1, Auto Boss Glass  replaced the inner pane in my driver side window.

Well if I was in that area, that would be great. Ive been sitting here for two months and now planning on heading out. Why didnt it break four weeks or more ago. Dang it!!!

Frank O, who have you found to repair it?

I have found Auto Glass Boss scheduling to be annoying in the past but they always warrantied their work and the guys did their best, IMHO.  I used Duncan to replace a windshield and door glass and thought they did a good job.

1 hour ago, Hypoxia said:

I have found Auto Glass Boss scheduling to be annoying in the past but they always warrantied their work and the guys did their best, IMHO.  I used Duncan to replace a windshield and door glass and thought they did a good job.

Perhaps I should have clarified my post. Duncan has replaced my windshield before and they did a good job then. My opinion is they prefer windshields and find side glass to be an irritant. Again that's just my opinion based on my last experience with them. Each company has their niche. I am sooo ready to be back on the road.....Dennis

1 hour ago, Dennis H said:

Perhaps I should have clarified my post. Duncan has replaced my windshield before and they did a good job then. My opinion is they prefer windshields and find side glass to be an irritant. Again that's just my opinion based on my last experience with them. Each company has their niche. I am sooo ready to be back on the road.....Dennis

Im getting the same opinion of Duncan so far. Since it is a small window, Im going to have Coach Glass in Coburg, Oregon fix it. But they only replace with laminated glass.

Update: Duncan only sells complete side windows. No just glass replacement. Atwood frames are 2-1/2 radius and are obsolete. All new radius windows are 3” radius. They emailed me a template to see which I have. If I have the 3” then they Might be able to source only a complete window. Geeze!!!!

Edited by Gary M

2 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

Dennis, I have not had it repaired. 

Guest Cruzbill

I guess its been 3 years ago now, but we had to replace the big window (pass side slide out) after a kid hit it with a slingshot and marble. Our insurance and body shop took care of it, Atwood provided the window, perfect match.  Hearing the troubles from Duncan, I hope we don't have another broken window! 

On 5/15/2020 at 1:23 PM, Cruzbill said:

I guess its been 3 years ago now, but we had to replace the big window (pass side slide out) after a kid hit it with a slingshot and marble. Our insurance and body shop took care of it, Atwood provided the window, perfect match.  Hearing the troubles from Duncan, I hope we don't have another broken window! 

Atwood is Duncan now. No more 2-1/2” radius windows. Only 3”. And Lippert owned.

Edited by Gary M

• 2 years later...

The fastest way to get the correct RV window glass replacement is by measuring your old window’s dimensions, especially its thickness. If it is unsafe to measure the shattered glass window or the glass is no longer whole, you can ask an RV glass replacement company for a suitable replacement. You might want to be ready with your window’s dimensions and your vehicle’s VIN, year, model, and make.

Edited by LakinZ

38 minutes ago, LakinZ said:

The fastest way to get the correct RV window glass replacement is by measuring your old window’s dimensions, especially its thickness. If it is unsafe to measure the shattered glass window or the glass is no longer whole, you can ask an RV glass replacement company for a suitable replacement. You might want to be ready with your window’s dimensions and your vehicle’s VIN, year, model, and make.

Thanks Zoe

Still have my shattered window in place. Once I get home I found a possible source for complete window with correct radius’s.  Two windows for less than the cost of making just a new glass to go back into existing frame.