Front Tire Blowout

A friend of mine had a front tire blowout on his way home from a Monaco rally. He was heading home on I-26 going toward Columbia, SC. As he was crossing a bridge, his right front tire blew. He was able to get on the shoulder of the road without any damage to coach. The interesting part, is that it was a 2-1/2 year old Toyo tire. It was on a Saturday about noon and the roadside assistance you get from FMCA was closed. No help there. So, I gave him the number for McCarthy Tire, a large regional roadside assist in the southeast. They were not operating.  Luckily, he was able to find an independent in Columbia, SC,  that came out and put a BF Goodrich tire on. He checked the blown tire and the area of the tire blowout and did not see anything that he might have run over to cause the damage.

10 minutes ago, DavidL said:

tire could have been underinflated which causes the tire cords to overflex and ultimately fail.  I checked with my friend and he has a tire monitoring system and the tire pressure was right where it was supposed to be before the blowout.

Who knows.  Just good to hear no significant damage or crash.

I check my front tire pressure anytime I stop for a break   Don't have monitors for some reason.  FYI, I think many folks may not know Michelin's take on front blow outs.  Per website, they say to mash on the gas if you have a front blowout, it will raise up the low corner and give you more control for a safe stop.  Asked an over the road trucker friend what he would do and without hesitation, he confirmed mashing on the gas.

• Like 3

My coach doesn't move until the TPMS is on and all tire pressures good.   Won't leave home without it.

It is hard to tell anything from a tire with a lot of damage, could have been anything that caused the blowout.  When I do tire swaps i look at the condition of the tires both inside and out.  Inside looking fro any signs of sidewall cracking which could have been caused by low pressure, and look for any type of impact damage. 

• Like 1

Ditto….  Make that 3.  Some folks have custom screens that display the TP.  I probably scroll my TP at least once every 15 minutes….and I know many experienced MH owners that do the same.

It would be interesting to know if the coach with the blowout had a TPMS or the driver’s Habits as to checking TP.

22 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Ditto….  Make that 3.  Some folks have custom screens that display the TP.  I probably scroll my TP at least once every 15 minutes….and I know many experienced MH owners that do the same.

It would be interesting to know if the coach with the blowout had a TPMS or the driver’s Habits as to checking TP.

I checked with the owner and yes he has a tire monitoring system . I don’t know which brand, but he did say that when he left that day, all the tires pressure were where they were supposed to be and there were no alarms. The pressure was correct until the tire blew. This is all I know.

15 hours ago, jacwjames said:

My coach doesn't move until the TPMS is on and all tire pressures good.   Won't leave home without it.

It is hard to tell anything from a tire with a lot of damage, could have been anything that caused the blowout.  When I do tire swaps i look at the condition of the tires both inside and out.  Inside looking fro any signs of sidewall cracking which could have been caused by low pressure, and look for any type of impact damage. 

DITTO  Never move without the TPMS UP AND RUNNING.

When our tires were less than brand new I think what I did was prudent.   I took it to an exclusively TRUCK TIRE shop who is a dealer for our brand of boots.  Currently Hankook.  I had them all pulled off, inspected and then balanced the old way-- on a spin balancer.  

Annually thereafter until replaced.

I had Toyo tires on my Fleetwood Discovery for about 6 years before I sold it and never had a problem. They still looked great when I sold it. One thing also is how the owner took care of the tires. Did he cover them? Did he let it sit for months at a time without driving it? I always cover mine and drive it every Month to flex and warm up the tires. Even if you do all these things it is possible on a rare occasion that you just get a bad tire. My new to me Dynasty has all 2021 tires Toyo on all the rears and two BF Goodrich tires on the front. Like others I have the Ez tire monitor system at all times to warn of a slow leak that’s what I worry about the most when it comes to tires 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, Windsornut said:

I check my front tire pressure anytime I stop for a break   Don't have monitors for some reason.  FYI, I think many folks may not know Michelin's take on front blow outs.  Per website, they say to mash on the gas if you have a front blowout, it will raise up the low corner and give you more control for a safe stop.  Asked an over the road trucker friend what he would do and without hesitation, he confirmed mashing on the gas.

I found this video several years ago. I made both of my sons watch it before they ever got their license. Made wife watch it, too  

https://youtu.be/QbI4RxQlqRk

I also watched this one and had the wife and sons watch it as well  very poignant for RV drivers:

13 hours ago, Oregon04Windsor said:

What do you mean FMCA roadside assistance was closed?  They close?  What the hell good is emergency roadside assistance if they close???

That’s one reason I have Coach Net. 

Edited by tomevansfl