Aladdin monitors dead

jbb5716

My Aladdin system has apparently died in my 2007 Monaco Dynasty Squire.  The green power light comes on when the ignition is on or when I push the center button on the joystick.  Neither the dashboard or bedroom monitor come on.  I have exercised the 2 plugs on the dash monitor and the RCA jacks on the firewall module.  I have wiggled but not exercised the multi-pin cable plugs on the firewall module as they are difficult to reach.

I have attempted to turn off the unit using the joystick with no luck.  There are 8 menu items.  By using them joystick down scroll button I attempted to shut down the unit.  I can turn it off by turning on and then off the ignition switch.

The volume control does give me some faint static but is not picking up the rear camera mic.

I had planned on having M&M Electronics attempt repairs but they will not be in Deland Florida this year.

I plan to be on the east coast of Florida by early January.

Any suggestions for additional trouble shooting I may do or who may be able to do repairs or replace with something else will be appreciated.

John Beall 2007 Monaco Dynasty Squire

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I had done the reset.

I have now reviewed the files section and no mention is made about monitor failures.  Because both monitors are blank I am assuming that I have some sort of data transmission failure.

The first time it failed I was able to get it to work simply by shutting down the engine and restarting.  It worked for a couple more cycles and then failed again but came back after a couple of restarts.  Now nothing.  It acted like a loose connection.

I also have a 2007 Dynasty Squire. My Aladdin had no power at all. If you have the big schematics book that came with the coach, there is a page that shows the path of where the power originates and where it ends up at the monitor. It starts at the rear run box there is a 7.5 amp fuse to check there. Then it comes out the back of the RRB and goes up to a plug just above the RRB. The white plug was painted black by Monaco when they painted the engine compartment so you might have to look for it. (Right above the rear run box) this is a red wire with a yellow tracer. That wire then goes to the reset switch located right above the entrance door. Look in the video compartment to the right of that cabinet and locate the back of that reset switch on the left side wall. I was able to unplug that reset switch and confirm weather or not I was getting power up to that switch. Then the wire passes through the Front Run Box through another fuse 15amp, through one of the “J “ Plugs located on the left side of the FRB, then up to the joystick and into the dashboard where there are a few more plugs to check. The schematic shows each plug and a number to identify the plug. The plugs  themselves are marked with the same number with black magic marker as on the schematic. Then all ends up in the control box inside the dash hatch above the steering wheel, and finally out of the control box and into the Aladdin monitor. Check all the RCA plugs that go into the controller as well as into the monitor. At least you have power going to the green light on the monitor. I had nothing and found at the beginning of the path, the black painted plug above the rear run box was corroded. I butt connected the ends together, (bypassed the plug) and my problem was solved. If you have trouble finding the specific pages in the schematics, let me know and I’ll give you the page numbers. Long story short, you have to check each connected plug section by section to make it less confusing, sorry for the long typing. 

• Thanks 1

I only have 1 Aladdin monitor so I'm not sure how this applies to you, but I was able to troubleshoot using a small TV w RCA inputs on the back.  That proved my Weldex monitor was bad. 

Tim at rvcams.com is very knowledgeable and easy to talk to on the phone w help troubleshooting these too.  You may try reaching out to him. 

Steven

• Like 1

Thank you.  I am thinking it is not a monitor problem as both of mine were working and now both are dead.  I suspect I have no input signal but do not know where to look for the fault.

I did some more with the joy sticks and found the right combination to turn on and off the power without having to use the ignition  switch to turn off.  Both joy sticks seem to work OK.  In the process I got the rear camera mic to work also.

Does anyone know of someone who is knowledgeable about and works on the Aladdin system?

Thank you

John Beall, 2007 Monaco Dynasty Squire

If you feel it’s a signal problem, go to the drivers side storage bays. Going from front to back, open the second bay door (the large door). Look up and you will see modules that take and receive the signals for Aladdin. They say Aladdin right on them. Make sure all the phone type gray plugs are in tight. 

Got the rear monitor working by turning it on.  It has a separate switch in addition to the joystick on/off

Worked by phone with M&M Electronics to trouble shoot the system.  The rear monitor works from either of the output jacks and the front one does NOT work on either jack.  I have done a continuity check on the interface cable and all is well.  Conclusion is that the obsolete monitor has died.  

Does anyone know where I may find a replacement?

John Beall 2007 Monaco Dynasty Squire

Another member got this monitor and loves it. Im going to upgrade my monitor and am going to get this one or the 10 inch version. The ones on Amazon are not that reliable.    https://www.beetronics.com/8-inch-monitor Also. On some Motorhomes the rear camera gets its power from the monitor so in my case I have to get a separate transformer to power the camera 

Edited by Georgia Mike

As I mentioned before, check w Tim at rvcams.com.  He knows his stuff and that's where I got my replacement monitor from.  

So the rear monitor shadows the front fine and both joysticks control the Aladdin ok. Is your front monitor a flip up Kenwood with the touch screen?  Mine appeared dead once when an "unnamed cleaning person" dusted/wiped the monitor and in the process the touch screen switched video sources during the cleaning process. Got it switched back to the correct inputs and other settings by using the buttons below the screen.  Other times I've come to find a nice "clean" dash and the monitor has switched to zoom mode from full screen...  Just saying... could be it got "wiped" ... like with a cloth ...

When by bedroom monitor lost it's sync and scrolled or skewed uncontrollably (likely bad caps in the power circuit), I just replaced it with a common aftermarket headrest DVD monitor.

FWIW

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved.   Thanks to the person who suggested RVCams.com 

Brent spent an inordinate amount of time on the phone with me so both of us understood the problem and solution.  I purchased a new Voyager monitor with cable adapters and a kit to mount in the old Sony dash position.   It  took a little time to slightly enlarge the dash opening but the rest was plug and play.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We had a similar problem with our 03 Signature.  The front monitor was configured to the original Panasonic stereo unit.  I found that the Panasonic input had failed so I simply rerouted the feed to our Sony rear monitor which has multiple inputs available.  I did need to purchase a pair of inexpensive cable adapters but now when I activate the Aladdin I simply power up the backup monitor and switch the input feed via the rotary switch on the front top right corner of the monitor.