Auto Air Leveling Question - 2002 Windsor HWH Auto Level System

tmw188
Go to solution Solved by 96 EVO,

That doesn't sound right 🤔!

Believe there was one year around '05 when Monaco experimented with Firestone leveling system, which didn't have a 12v electric compressor.

HWH used a electric pump, and later models with Valid/ Powergear systems did as well! 

20 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Well to comment on my own post it appears the engine needs to be running according to my HWH manual so then I would think then I don’t have a dedicated compressor for that system?

Read page 276 or the entire section on AIR leveling.  There is a paragraph that says every 30 minutes, the processor (control) wakes up...and checks and then "fixes" its level. You DO, 99% certain, have an Aux Compressor.  If you have never heard it run....then odds are....it is either broken or the pressure switch is bad.  I don't KNOW where the AUX COMP is on the Windsor.  Mine is under the RIGHT (door step) side.  If you look up and under in front of the step, you will see a canister with a drain plug on the bottom.  This is like a conventional air compressor drain fitting.  IT, as well as your entire air system (per the manual and there are instructions) needs to be drained annually.  

If you do some "looking" you will see an airline....and it has a VIAIR switch on the end with TWO terminals.  If you use a paper clip and short across the terminals or pull them off and use the paper clip as a jumper, the air compressor SHOULD come on.  If not....then look for the FUSE....if it is GOOD....then you need to start troubleshooting and see if you have 12 VDC to the motor.  The switch is in line with one of them.

NOW....if someone has left the switch LOWER than the air reservoir, then odds are...the switch has moisture in it and it needs to be replaced.  Once you replace it, then it needs to be ziptied up above the compressor.... here is the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PH80PI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just now, tmw188 said:

One is auto, the other is manual. 

CE518711-3A86-4C3A-B5AC-A6BF7A6E3FC6.jpeg

4DD65396-62EA-43D0-9140-8EE7CD71A8E6.jpeg

Your FIRST POST SAID AUTO LEVELING.....Now from your manual.....copied and pasted from the  AUTO page on Leveling.....

A touch panel, computer controlled, four point or six point air leveling system is optional on all models. Models which are equipped with the air leveling system must remember the ignition has to be ON for the suspension to operate. This is critical to note in the event the motorhome requires emergency towing. Automatic Air Leveling: • Air leveling will operate faster if engine is running. • Set parking brake. • Transmission must be in neutral. (Important: No movement in motorhome while leveling.) • Press AIR button once to enter air mode. AIR indicator light and four AIR BAG warning lights will glow steady. • Press AIR button a second time. AIR indicator light will start flashing and air leveling will begin. • When all four yellow LEVEL SENSING lights are out leveling is complete. AIR indicator light will stop flashing and turn steady red. Processor is now in a SLEEP MODE for 30 minutes. Engine may now be turned off. Every 30 minutes processor will check motorhome’s level condition, make any corrections and return to SLEEP MODE. This will continue until system is turned off by pushing OFF button or transmission is taken out of neutral position and parking brake released. 

Tom yes that’s how I initiated the auto leveling per the instructions. It’s the maintaining it’s level status I’m curious about. I guess the pump is not coming on. I haven’t been under the coach recently but I do believe I’ve seen a pump near the tank. 

Edited by tmw188
Update wording

6 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Tom yes that’s how I initiated the auto leveling per the instructions. It’s the maintaining it’s level status I’m curious about. I haven’t been under the coach recently but I do believe I’ve seen a pump near the tank? I never really looked into it. 

Good idea.  I had NEVER heard mine AUX COMP run....and I bought the MH in Jan, 2009....In October 2013, was at the ABQ Balloon Festival and my buddy had his exact same (different length) Camelot next to mine....and then his pump came on.  WHAT IS THAT?  My AUX COMP.  OMG....Mine has never come on.  5 minutes later and a paper clip....and the switch was bad....so replaced it.

NOW...the moral of the story.  I do NOT use the Auto feature anymore....and there are MANY that do the same.  I air mine up....manual level....and shut the system off.  After I fixed my compressor, it drove me crazy because it only started to "tweak" in the wee hours of the morning.  My Daughter and GK's complained.  

Now, i have NEVER had a sagging corner or lost the level.  YES, my air tanks or the main air system will start to drop.  It might take 10 full days for the system to get to zero...BUT, the MH is dead level.  I just start the engine before we get ready to leave and let the system air itself up.  That leakage rate is on 5 % or less of the ALLOWED DOT LEAK DOWN RATE....and Monaco would not, per their guidelines, FIX IT....it gets a little worse in the winter....as things "shrink".  I have my OTR guy check the system for leaks about every 3 - 5 years and I watch the display as I drive and then it is fine....so I just ignore it.  My brakes meet and exceed DOT specs....

Just one way that folks approach this....and some folks are sticklers for keeping the MH dead level....but they are also constantly chasing leaks and mumbling about the noise and frequency...

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Auto Air Leveling Question - 2002 Windsor HWH Auto Level System

I also didn't like the auxiliary compressor running at night. Ours is under the bedroom. So I installed a toggle switch in the driver's side console and wired it to the fuse. Now I just turn it off before bedtime. I have to use the auxiliary because my air leaks off in about 8 hour. I've been under it 3 times with spray bottle of soapy water and can't find the leak. Retired last September and we are traveling until April. I intend to find my leak this spring.

17 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

You will have a fuse for your 12v compressor somewhere.

Good place to start.

So both fuses tag anything to do with air leveling and pump are both good. I also located the pump and it appears to look OE, further checking out will be needed. I’ll check for voltage at the pump first.

Edited by tmw188
Added to post

I have 07 sig and a Power Gear Valid air level system. If the power button is not on and the auto is not pushed, the system will not self correct while parked. We have the aux compressor 12 v and it comes on from time to time to keep air tank charged and coached level. Hope that helps

Yeah, I'm guessing if you have never heard your elec compressor run, or felt a little shake of your coach, your compressor is inop.

Always fun when you have guests aboard when it makes an adjustment and you have to reassure them it wasn't a small earthquake :classic_ninja:!

Edited by 96 EVO

My guess is that your HWH Air Leveling Compressor has failed or is inoperative due to some other device in the leveling system. My HWH compressor had failed many years ago, then in 2019, I decided to rebuild the system with a new Viar Compressor plus relocate it to a protected area so it would not fail again.

Here is a link to my post on the rebuilding process and relocation.

Thanks Richard I’ll probably do the same but will probably wait till I get home at the end of April. In the meantime I need to look at the old pump with a little trouble shooting. There is guy here in the park that has a 09 Dynasty that has done the same upgrade. Very knowledgable guy and I turned him on to the Monacoers. He only knew of the other site. I told him about The Gathering, who knows he and I may drive down there for a day. I’m not attending this yr.

My auxiliary compressor was not coming on in my 2005 Dynasty. It was right in front of the drive axle passenger side. I removed it and checked it with a battery and the pressure switch was bad.  found one on Amazon. 

I had a slow leak in the back and when the leveling system came back on it would let air out of other airbags to compensate for the leak but if it needed to add air the motor home would not stay level. when I was under it looking at the aux compressor I took some Windex and sprayed the solenoid manifolds one of the solenoids was blowing bubbles they were labeled and it went to the side that was losing air. replaced it and no more leak. 

My compressor had two wires feeding in from up front and a ground wire to the metal chase. one of the wires from the front was power from a fuse hot all the time. the other was from the HWH controller it feed a relay mounted on the compressor. only hot when the controller called for the compressor to run.    

• Solution
1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

I identified the pressure switch and plan on jumping around it to see if it comes after I check for power at the pump. 

Ha!

That won't work! The levelling system is 'sleeping' most of the time.

Wakes up and checks level at a predetermined time (mine is every 2 hours), and makes adjustments if needed. 

10 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

If the main tanks are low, it will run, or try to run, the Aux compressor when you or your helper hits any of the raise buttons. That's how I test my HWH system.

Yep!

If you just want to check your aux compressor works, make adjustments in manual mode.