Key Fob Programming - 2003 Executive

Gene Y

Anyone know how to get a new key fob programed? Our 03 Sig has the trimark key fobs and control pad (keyless entry)

The keyless entry has never worked since we purchased in 2019. One of the fobs failed a year ago, the one existing operating fob is beginning to fail.

I have a new fob identical to the one I have but have not found a way to get it programed. Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Johnny Mo said:

Have you changed the battery ?

Not on the one that's still in operation, the one that's dead yes did not fix. More concerned about getting the new one operating,

Thanks 

18 minutes ago, dleeadkins said:

Hello Gene. I have talked to these people a couple of times. They seem to know these systems we have.

https://www.a1electric.com/index.htm

Will give them a shout,

Thanks 

I was able to purchase a Remocon programmable key fob and program it to the coach.  

I found the frequency on the back of an old remote and then ordered a programmable Remocon fob from an online seller.  The online seller set it to the frequency.  

I later purchased another fob and the programmer and did it myself.  

• 3 months later...

My new to me 03 Executive has the key pad by the door and a door bell button.  I do not have any key fobs or know any codes.  I don't particularly give a hoot about a security system, but do like the idea of keyless entry with a key fob or pushing buttons by the door.  Is it possible to buy new fobs and program them to the coaches existing system?  Other than the key pad I have no idea where any of the hard ware is located as in transmitters, security system, etc.  ... help would be appreciated on that too.  Regarding the door bell...  help there would be appreciated too...  where is the bell, etc.?

34 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Does the keypad look like the Ford/Lincoln type? Since yours is newer, it could be different than ours. Our bell is in an overhead cabinet midship.

I did a quick search of the cabinets on the door side and found no bell.  It may have been completely removed???  No idea what the Ford keypad looks like so I took a picture of it.

keypad .jpg

Different than mine so not sure if I can help, however, our ford TouchPad controller is in front run bay, on its rearward side and has master code printed on it. That code is also on a parts list in our bedroom cabinet. The remotes have a receiver under the dash cover in front of gauges. Like I said, yours could be totally different.

10 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Different than mine so not sure if I can help, however, our ford TouchPad controller is in front run bay, on its rearward side and has master code printed on it. That code is also on a parts list in our bedroom cabinet. The remotes have a receiver under the dash cover in front of gauges. Like I said, yours could be totally different.

Thanks Ivan,   It at least gives me some things to check. 

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

My new to me 03 Executive has the key pad by the door and a door bell button.  I do not have any key fobs or know any codes.  I don't particularly give a hoot about a security system, but do like the idea of keyless entry with a key fob or pushing buttons by the door.  Is it possible to buy new fobs and program them to the coaches existing system?  Other than the key pad I have no idea where any of the hard ware is located as in transmitters, security system, etc.  ... help would be appreciated on that too.  Regarding the door bell...  help there would be appreciated too...  where is the bell, etc.?

I don't know the answers to your questions, however I did discover that the best resource to deal with these issues is a company that deals with electronic security systems. Unfortunately I have not had time to get mine operational and my coach is now 600 miles away, will not see it again until July. Good Luck!

23 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I did a quick search of the cabinets on the door side and found no bell.  It may have been completely removed???  No idea what the Ford keypad looks like so I took a picture of it.

keypad .jpg

That's the essex keypad. Here's the documentation, Should be able to reset it. Does it beep when you push the buttons?

1 (keyless.com)

The wireless module is something separate. Here's my writeup on replacing the wireless module

Essex 1603 Keypad and Wireless Replacement - iRV2 Forums

Cheers,

Walter

51 minutes ago, wamcneil said:

That's the essex keypad. Here's the documentation, Should be able to reset it. Does it beep when you push the buttons?

1 (keyless.com)

The wireless module is something separate. Here's my writeup on replacing the wireless module

Essex 1603 Keypad and Wireless Replacement - iRV2 Forums

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks Walter.  The keypad does nothing.  I guess I'll need to do a little trouble shooting on it to see if I can figure out why.  I'm also going to dig through the paperwork and see if I can figure out if I have the Viper alarm too. 

It appears from your post that I need to replace the keypad and the wireless box in the dash?  Or if I can get the keypad working then just the wireless box?

Also, would the Viper alarm be under the dash also or someplace else?  Any idea on where the door bell dinger is located?  Thanks again!!!

Jim

Edited by Just Jim

Do you have a build sheet on the rig? That would say if you have the viper alarm. 
Either way, I think it is set up similar to the dynasty and the wireless or viper box should be inside the dash forward of the gauges. According to the wiring diagram, the viper plugs into the same plug as the wireless box. 
Sorry, can’t help you on the doorbell!

If the keypad doesn’t beep it’s probably dead. Certainly possible that it’s not getting power or something, but in my limited experience the keypad just fails. 
And if you don’t have a fob for the wireless, just replace the wireless unit. They’re cheap. 

Edited by wamcneil

Jim in my 06 Executive the viper brain is under the raised cover on the dash above the guages that has 2 screws holding it in place my wife calls it the hump. My doorbell chime is mounted under bathroom sink in hall above plumbing drain and not easy to get to unless you are really flexible and skinny of which I am neither so mine still does not work.

1 hour ago, Steve Merritt said:

Jim in my 06 Executive the viper brain is under the raised cover on the dash above the guages that has 2 screws holding it in place my wife calls it the hump. My doorbell chime is mounted under bathroom sink in hall above plumbing drain and not easy to get to unless you are really flexible and skinny of which I am neither so mine still does not work.

I may try to check that out tomorrow.  I'm not small, limber or young so it will be a challenge.  I did manage to check the central vacuum that is under the bathroom sink.  That is an awful place to put it because changing the bag is a nightmare.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll keep you posted.

2 hours ago, wamcneil said:

Do you have a build sheet on the rig? That would say if you have the viper alarm. 
Either way, I think it is set up similar to the dynasty and the wireless or viper box should be inside the dash forward of the gauges. According to the wiring diagram, the viper plugs into the same plug as the wireless box. 
Sorry, can’t help you on the doorbell!

If the keypad doesn’t beep it’s probably dead. Certainly possible that it’s not getting power or something, but in my limited experience the keypad just fails. 
And if you don’t have a fob for the wireless, just replace the wireless unit. They’re cheap. 

That is on my list of things to do tomorrow too.  I'll see if I can find the build sheet and may just pop that cover off and take a look in there.  Thanks again for the help.  Jim

Ok, found something called the RV data card.  Is that the same as the build sheet?  It has Essex  KE 1603 keyless entry.  It says "keys entry door" Trimark and also Trimark for the baggage doors.  I assume this is the actual key?  I don't see anything for a security system or a door bell.  Not sure this data card is complete.

I opened the dash compartment and attached pictures.  There are two small boxes with lots of wires and no writing on them. Anyone recognize what these are?  One has no writing and the other has #19 on it.

dash 1.jpg

dash 2.jpg

Your #19 is a video converter for rear camera. The black box has an antenna so it should be your fob receiver, likely combined with the touch pad controllers input but different than mine so can't help there.

Yeah. The black box looks to be the wireless receiver.

The door keypad is entirely separate though. The wireless box and the keypad are both connected to the coach's lock solenoids, but they are not otherwise integrated with each other.

Essex advertises their keypad with a 'wireless option' which makes it sound like the wireless is somehow integrated with the keypad, but it's not. When you purchase the 'wireless option' from A1 electric (essex distributor) you get the essex keypad and a 100% separate 3rd party wireless system. 

When I bought a replacement essex keypad from A1 in 2017, it came with an Avital 2101L wireless system, and it seems to be of good quality. I don't use the keyfobs often, but they are still working fine after 6+ years. Not sure if that is still a current avital part number, but I'm sure it will be easy enough to find an equivalent on amazon.

Edited by wamcneil

Thanks guys.  I'll order a wireless unit and some key fobs and poke around on the keypad to see if I can figure out if it is bad.  Should I buy the wireless unit from A1 since they have good instructions on how to rewire?

Jim

Making some progress.  The white plug in the picture was not connected.  When I connected them it made a beep and 4 of the 5 keypad buttons light up.  I suspect 3/4 is bad and perhaps that is why it was unplugged.  Another picture is of a little push button switch that was hanging loose inside the armrest.  Could that be the door bell mechanism?  If not, other ideas?  The last picture is the only thing I found inside the bathroom that could be a door bell???

Update.  Ok... so I figured out what the little button is for.  That is to reprogram the keypad.  So I push it and get the 4 quick beeps.  I have then tried entering 1119 but do not get the 3 beebs... if I wait a few seconds I get the 2 beebs that indicates it has reset.  I had hoped I could reprogram it and just not use the numbers 3 and  4.  The prior owner has all the bay doors wiring disconnected.  Could that be the problem with not resetting the master?  He said something about that he got tired of being locked out of the coach as why he disconnected them.

keypad plug.jpg

door bell.jpg

door bell 2.jpg

Edited by Just Jim
additional info

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Thanks guys.  I'll order a wireless unit and some key fobs and poke around on the keypad to see if I can figure out if it is bad.  Should I buy the wireless unit from A1 since they have good instructions on how to rewire?

Jim

That was my thought too, but it won’t matter where you buy the wireless unit because the A1/Essex wireless instructions actually aren’t very useful for our application.
The useful instructions are in that irv2 thread that I linked. 
There’s really nothing special about the Avital wireless unit. It’s truly an unrelated 3rd party automotive accessory. But I feel like A1 selling it along with the Essex keypad is an indication that maybe it’s better quality than the average generic wireless kit. Mine has held up well and the keyfobs don’t feel cheap. 

Edited by wamcneil