Upgraded Patio Light Install

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

I wish to install an upgraded (longer / larger) 12v patio light and am unsure about how to proceed as new mounting holes will be required.
It will be mounted in place of the OEM patio light.
I'm unsure about the composition / thickness of the exterior side walls on my 2003 HR Neptune.
Any advise as to what mounting hardware to use would be appreciated. I'm considering some sort of expanding molly.
Below is a link to the light I've purchased. Thanks, John

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089NMFRMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would just mount it the same way the OEM is, probably screws if i was serious about keeping it permanently and could not reuse the existing holes. The wall is pretty thick all around, 2" thick. Could use a stud finder to avoid potential brace. Small pilot drilled hole to prevent cracking in the new position and seal the old holes.

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

I would just mount it the same way the OEM is, probably screws if i was serious about keeping it permanently and could not reuse the existing holes. The wall is pretty thick all around, 2" thick. Could use a stud finder to avoid potential brace. Small pilot drilled hole to prevent cracking in the new position and seal the old holes.

Thanks. Do you have an idea on the aprox. thickness of the outer surface (fiberglass / luan)?
I have not yet removed the existing light and that answer may become obvious once I do.
Regards,
John

10 minutes ago, Floyd4949 said:

Thanks. Do you have an idea on the aprox. thickness of the outer surface (fiberglass / luan)?
I have not yet removed the existing light and that answer may become obvious once I do.
Regards,
John

Are you talking about the porch light?  

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp-obTjQ9wZWzHACcRe7MkYb5NW1_3eRiGVPYUggPidmD_Hlsif_nxPie6tED8_U09qwlphZg8a2yBxH3Lqwp7I86kSO_K&usqp=CAY

This is what I have.  I bought a new lens, an LED bulb replacement( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09D7917XG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and removed the switch on the light, since you can't reach it anyway.  Works great without drilling more holes.  FYI - the lens is available in amber or clear.  The LED bulb is a lot brighter.

I have the traditional single bulb version and the light emission was pathetic. I upgraded to a LED lamp with some improvement. But that lamp needed replacement and I found the highest lumen lamp I could. I installed it but the light was still not great. 

Looking at the housing I saw that Monaco gad spray painted the housing and reflector with the dark paint rendering the light useless. Problem solved with a piece of tin foil. What a difference a proper reflective surface makes !!

Richard Smith is right on!  This light is fantastic.  Bright LED, a double click of the interior on/off switch and activates the motion detector function.  An adaptor plate is also available to cover any big holes from the old light...comes in b lack or white.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:40 AM, Dr4Film said:

I replaced the entry door light with this one on my Windsor years ago. So when we purchased the Dynasty, I bought another one to install on the Dynasty which needs to be done sometime this year.

https://tinyurl.com/325mu9nb

I'm having a problem opening your link.  Can you please till me the brand/model you are recommending?

6 minutes ago, veraken said:

I'm having a problem opening your link.  Can you please till me the brand/model you are recommending?

MOTION-GUARD, MG1000-450W, RV Motion Sensor Light, 12 Volt, Exterior Mounted Motion Sensor Bright LED Porch Utility IP65 Flood Light with Battery Monitoring Sensor and EMI Suppression, USA Designed