FOUND ECM OUT OF CALIBRATION NEEDS SOFTWARE UPDATE

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

My mechanic got the error below when reading the engine data. He said the currenet software is from 2015 - I don't recall anyone ever updating the ECM.  As you might guess, I'm a bit blindsided by this information.

Is this really a thing and should I do the $250 update. Keep in mind that I have the Banks ECM and turbo kit. 

It runs extremely well as it is and I'd hate to "fix" it.

****FOUND ECM OUT OF CALIBRATION NEEDS
SOFTWARE UPDATE****
CONFIGURATIONS AND MODEL NAME
Marketing Engine Configuration # D413028BV08
Marketing Model Name ISC 330
Service Model Name ISC CM554
Technical Engine Configuration # D413028BX03
ENGINE BUILD DETAILS
Build Date 2000-09-07T00:00:00Z
Build Plant CNS - CONSOLIDATED DIESEL CO.
Shop Order SO64874
Warranty Start Date 2000-10-12T00:00:00Z
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION DETAILS
ECM Code J91044
Fuel Pump Part # 4010173
Fuel Pump Calibration GG49

• Solution

I also tend to agree, not an error, his computer tells him that there is a newer update available.  I would also not mess with it without knowing what's in the update. Suspect nothing beneficial, not for you anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robert U said:

Don't trouble trouble till trouble troubles you . Ecm probably changed by Banks upgrade.

Bob U 2000 Dip

I did the Banks kit in 2005 so that's not it if the software is from 2015.  I don't know how the software got upgraded to a 2015 rev or by who.

7 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

If you had it at Cummins, they just might have automatically done it, if it really is the case. It's not done remotely...

Never at Cummins but at a Cummins authorized mechanic. They are good - doubt that they would have updated the ECM and not mentioned it.

Honestly when i was with Ford if or when the customer would have a driveability issue i would reprogram with out thinking to ensure the latest an greatest, then there were a couple times it interfered with there HP improver program they had installed, though we were not liable cause of warrany policy the trouble was for the customer to reinstall there software. Didnt take long for me to realise from then on to call the customer an ask if they wanted to undo or to back out there upgrade so we could do our update, all of this mumbo jumbo is to say if you like the way your rig is running, and you dont want to go thru the headache of reinstalling what may be in there to give you back what you now enjoy just say NO to the update. I agree with calling Banks, cause IF when they performed there power mod it may have changed the signature of “stock” data info which could cause a misinterpitation of the Mfg. Specs making the mechanics computer think there was a issue when in fact there isnt. my rig has the Banks stinger mod which is NO LONGER supported from them, so i would be screwed trying to regain that what was taken out. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I called Banks tech support and they said it pays to keep the software up to date but sometimes it is solely for emissions and that the update process will state that. Ther will be an option to abort the update.

So I instructed my mechanic go ahead with the update but to stop if it was emission related – sure enough it was. So no update.