I wonder what Stereo system was originally in our 2005 Ambassador

Go to solution Solved by lwkhou,

Going in to year four it is time to have good stereo TV sound in our 2005 HR Ambassador.

We have evidence of a surround Sound speaker system in our coach.  By that I mean a Sub Woofer in the cabinet under the dining table and five speakers in the ceiling; Front pair, Center Front and a Rear Pair

There appears to be wiring from those speakers in the cabinet above the driver's side window, but no evidence of what they may have connected to.  Now we also have three pairs of Auto Stereo type speakers which run just fine off the dash stereo which has been updated to a unit that lets DW bluetooth her music to the unit.  There are two speakers above the cab area, two more roughly above the kitchen/dinette area and two more in the bedroom.  They all work fine with reasonably good Auto Stereo sound. It is complete with an on off switch at DW's night stand, but of course no other control from the bedroom. 

What was originally connected to the Surround Sound speaker system?  We use an over the dash  32 inch flat panel smart TV and I took out that big garage door opener class mount from the original HUGE TV and cut the cabinet back so you do not automatically hit your head on it coming and going,  but the sound from the tiny TV speakers is not adequate for mere mortal hearing without turning it up until the speakers in the TV rattle.  

Any suggestions as to what was in there from NEW, what to put in NOW to utilize the Surround Sound speakers' potential and maybe even to incorporate a Blue Ray player?

Thanks for any ideas.

Tom

Just now, Wrayj1 said:

Have you considered a sound bar?

Of course, that is an option, but the sound still comes from the very front.    I would like to explore using what looks like a substantial investment in Built In Speakers first.

Not the same by any means but in my rig the Bose surround sound system is connected to a combo am/fm/cd/DVD player in the AV cabinet. Thats the way it came from the factory. It was a "home" system completely separate from the dash "auto" system. Are there any removable panels the speaker wires could of been stuffed into? Can't believe some one would cut them. Also the wiring drawings have the AV system in the prints. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Old Dog said:

Not the same by any means but in my rig the Bose surround sound system is connected to a combo am/fm/cd/DVD player in the AV cabinet. Thats the way it came from the factory. It was a "home" system completely separate from the dash "auto" system. Are there any removable panels the speaker wires could of been stuffed into? Can't believe some one would cut them. Also the wiring drawings have the AV system in the prints. Hope this helps.

Hi.  Thank you.  No it doesn't appear the wires were cut.  Just disconnected and laying in the cupboard.  Kind of unfamiliar looking connectors on the wires.   Do you have any brand name or model on the combo system.  So far other than spending too much money for residential componeythst may not fit the cabinet space, all I have found is a Pyle 5.1 receiver amp on Amazon for about $98 but would still need to squeeze a Blue Ray player in.   So still looking.  Gonna find some kind of audio out put to use to test and identify the leads and hopefully get to verify that the speakers are good.

2 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

My coach came with a Bose lifestyle surround sound system with a sub woofer mounted under my kitchen sink. I added a bluetooth receiver to one of the imput jacks. This system has a DVD player incorporated in it. 

Any chance you have a model # or spec for the system/DVD?

Thanks.  Tom

Based on the speakers and the subwoofer, it came with the “Home Theater” option with the State of the Art VCR.  There was probably NOT an input for a TV, but TV’s back then rarely had a “line out”.  This was a “box system”, not individual components.  The speakers were OK, but rated for a box system.  They were not high ends……but, they worked.  We have a Box system in our Camelot and it works nicely and the sub adds enough presence and bass to rattle dishes.

Basically a self contained stereo receiver with an integrated DVD player and 2 auxiliary audio inputs….one is for TV and the other for whatever.  It has a 5 stack, built in, CD/DVD Player with two levels of video output.  USB MP4 input on front panel.

There are scads of them.  They are called “mini” or “shelf” systems. I do not think, but could be wrong, that our subwoofer is powered (AC Booster Amp).  You need to get access to the Sub to verify.  Our sub is just a speaker output and NOT a line or “audio out”…..suspect yours is the same.  So find a “shelf” system that has speaker terminals for the sub, not line out (RCA Jack).  Whatever fits and your pocketbook will be the criteria.  You want a 5+1 system.  L&R front, Center front, L&R rear, & Speaker output sub.

• Thanks 1

I replaced our dvd/surround system several years ago. Seems like there’s not a lot of selection these days in compact home theater systems. 
Look for ‘home theater in a box’ systems. The problem is finding something compact enough to fit in the overhead cabinet. Most of the systems are full size components. 
Samsung was about the only reasonable option last time I was shopping. I really wanted one withOUT a dvd/Blu-ray player, but couldn’t find a compact surround sound amp that didn’t also have a dvd player. 
Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

Our 03 Endeavor came with a Sony DAV-C450, slightly different to the one above.  It's still in there but we don't use it much. 

FWIW I had to replace some of the drive bands a few years ago for the CD / DVDs to load and turn.  Amazon was my friend with a large bag of assorted bands.

- bob

Edited by cbr046

• Solution

It was made by RCA.  It had a VCD, DC and FM radio.  Your TV would play through the speakers.  I removed mine when I install LCD RV's as it did not accommodate HDMI.  I currently use the in-ceiling radio speakers.  But would rather use the other speakers just haven't had time to figure it out.  This is what I use for the radio speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NEUK86?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0873Y5MQ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have a 2005 Diplomat which sounds like I had the same system you did.

1 hour ago, lwkhou said:

It was made by RCA.  It had a VCD, DC and FM radio.  Your TV would play through the speakers.  I removed mine when I install LCD RV's as it did not accommodate HDMI.  I currently use the in-ceiling radio speakers.  But would rather use the other speakers just haven't had time to figure it out.  This is what I use for the radio speakers.

Thank you I think it's beginning to look like it was a primitive system but simply one that took advantage of a 5.1 speaker system so if I go to look at the Pyle $98 tuner amp.  It offers Bluetooth HDMI in and HDMI out x2

17 hours ago, lwkhou said:

You need to understand that the front radio speakers are used for BOTH the "Home Entertainment System" as well as the Radio.  There is an electronic speaker switch in the system. In the normal mode....as in the Radio is NOT ON, the speaker switch is normally closed so that the Stereo or HES works.  When you turn on the radio, there is a signal (it comes from the Power Antenna output of the radio) that energizes the relay.  That then switches the Front Speaker to Radio.  I can't remember if the rear HES speakers are in this switch....I don't believe so...

Folk have damaged that unit (one drilled a hole into it as it was on the OTHER side of the TV Cabinet wall and they wanted to run more cable....NO....I did NOT DO THAT...LOL).  So they had to take out and reinstall a new switch.  Others have gutted the TV area and pulled out "Stuff" that they thought was "unneeded" and such and unknowingly pulled it and discarded it and then had issues.

Look at the prints or follow the wires....this was pretty standard going way back. I THINK that the "rear radio speakers" are NOT routed through this...but can't remember.  I believe they run directly from the Rear Speaker output on the Radio directly to the switch in the bedroom.

Hope this helps...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a pic of the front of mine but as mentioned it's a RCA unit.  It has multiple inputs a VCR and DVD player.  I have my TV RCA outputs going to it for surround sound when watching TV. Mine has 5 ceiling speakers and a sub.  They are original and sound great to us. They are completely separate from the RV "car" stereo we listen to when driving.  

20210821_175651.jpg

20210821_174754.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, Steven P said:

I don't have a pic of the front of mine but as mentioned it's a RCA unit.  It has multiple inputs a VCR and DVD player.  I have my TV RCA outputs going to it for surround sound when watching TV. Mine has 5 ceiling speakers and a sub.  They are original and sound great to us. They are completely separate from the RV "car" stereo we listen to when driving.  

20210821_175651.jpg

20210821_174754.jpg

Ours was originally the RCA RTD-250, but it is no longer made. I ended up buying a newer RCA that had the same rear panel, connected the wires and everything works great.

Steven, does your switch box normally sit on your RCA receiver, on the driver's side? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to put everything back to the way it was and unscrew everything the P.O. screwed up.

3 hours ago, FLynes said:

Steven, does your switch box normally sit on your RCA receiver, on the driver's side? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to put everything back to the way it was and unscrew everything the P.O. screwed up.

Yes, it sits above the driver's seat w the black box on top of the silver receiver. 

• Like 1

Here is a pic of the front of the unit. Mine is a 2006 ambassador also. 

I went to a soundbar unit, as the speakers were pretty bad. Moved the unit from above the driver seat to under my new TV, so it was easier to access for vhs/dvd. I left the coax switch above the drivers seat in the cabinet. 

20230708_090553.jpg

Edited by olywrestle

11 hours ago, Steven P said:

Yes, it sits above the driver's seat w the black box on top of the silver receiver. 

I just realized mine can't, because all of the RG6 coax cables come in to the cabinet above the passenger side.

21 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

Interesting… I have the same RCA unit but mine is positioned above the driver side. No idea why they switched it. 

That is where my speaker wires terminate, above the driver's window.   Thinking about a small Pyle tuner for about a hundred bucks from Amazon then maybe put a CD/DVD/blue Ray player in the hugh space behind my 32-in flat screen that used to be occupied by I guess a big old RCA or Sony vacuum tube TV.   I pulled that cabinet apart when I mounted of the Samsung 32 inch up there and cut the cabinet back and upward several inches but it is still a huge void.   My buddy has a 2003 Holiday Rambler imperial with an amazing multi-disc changer.  He says they enjoy that while they're traveling but I'm not sure I want that much electronics when my wife can simply bluetooth her iPod over with all the music we need.  That in dash car stereo is not 5.1 surround sound but it has two pretty good speakers right over our heads. And two more pairs on back through the coach.

Edited by TomV48

When we bought our coach, it had nothing in those cabinets…I cobbled an RCA system together, based on the 2004 Holiday Rambler wiring diagrams that Rikki sent me, so my system is the DVD-only unit, model DVDRT1, IIRC. I also have the RCA VR651HF VCR.