single to double din adaptor

Go to solution Solved by snoracer,

I'm about to install a new stereo to replace the old magnadyne.  What are you guys doing to adapt a new single din stereo into the old double din hole.  Are there new dash panels available to do this?  Amazon has adaptors, but they are year make and model specific, so obviously nothing is available for RV's.  Thanks

Tim

Tim,

I can’t speak with authority about the 2007 Endeavor, but the 2006 Diplomat (twin coach) had a 1.5 DIN Magnadyne. 

I was able to enlarge the hole on the top and bottom to get a double din unit installed. Here’s a link to my install:

• Like 1

Thanks Scotty - I must admit, I am definitely not up to speed on stereo stuff.  This whole DIN thing is new to me.  I haven't replaced a stereo in about 20 years.  I should probably get educated from my kids.  My problem with this installation is that the new radio is a single DIN, so I need to find some way to mount this smaller radio into a much larger hole.  I've been searching on this forum and IRV2.  I did see a post where someone made a completely new dash panel out a piece of oak and stained it to match the rest of his woodwork.  I just might give that try.  Two of the corners are broken on my dash panel from the screws being tightened too tight, so now would be a good time to replace it.  I'm open to any idea's.  

Tim  if your skills with wood working are ok to do it with wood then you also could do it with sign material. That's what I did you use all the same wood working tools on it (saws,drills,router,Etc..) the material is 2 pcs of aluminum with rubber in-between so much stronger and will never crack and can hold the weight of radios and more. It's 1/4" thick but bevels nicely to create a nice edge. I picked up a scrap pc at a local sign shop and made my radio dash plate and my wall panel.

Roy   2003 Dynasty

02-23-2014 606.JPG

RV radio 059.JPG

RV radio 061.JPG

RV radio 069.JPG

20200408_123825.jpg

20200419_131550.jpg

I have previously fabricated new black panels from 1/4" plexiglass when I had similar problems in my coaches.  The first one I attempted was the driver's side panel where the transmission shifter sat in our old 98 Sig.  I later fabricated other dash pieces in a similar fashion using the old pieces as a template.  The only issue you might have is where something was stuck to the backside of the panel.  This might require a little ingenuity.  Thinner plexiglass doesn't stand up over time especially for screw holes.  Unfortunately I don't have any before/after pics to add just one pic of a panel that needed some tlc.  The panel shown had one too many large holes as well as broken screw holes.  You can also see bolt heads glued to the backside of the panel.

RV radio panel replacement Oct14 (3).JPG

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.  I think for now I'll fabricate a filler plate to fill the entire opening where the old radio was.  I have a sheet of 1/8th inch aluminum that should work pretty well.  I'll glue it to the backside of the woodgrain dash panel using panel bond.  We use panel bond in the body shop to glue body panels on.  Should easily support the weight of the new radio.  I will try to remember to follow up with photo's and results.

I contacted Magnadyne a few years back to see if they had a newer 1.5 DIn replacement radio..no.  But they did have a 1.5 to single DIN adaptor plate plus they could provide a wiring harness to connect any brand of single DIN radio to the coach's original Magnadyne connectors.  Perhaps an easier approach?  My Magnadyne radio had a problem with the Sirius/XM function so decided to buy a stand alone XM receiver connected to the radio's audio input.  Even simpler!

• Solution

Thanks for that info Adam.  I just checked the magnedyne website and I found the adapter plate, but not sure of the wiring harness yet.  I'll have to call tech support later on for more info.  Thanks again.