Radiator Surge Tank Replacement

Following a 1000 mi. trip I noticed a drip coming at the rear corner my 22 year old Monaco Windsor.  The dreaded plastic Surge Tank was seeping fluid about a quarter of the way from the bottom.  I've read a number of post on replacing it but I have several questions.  I located a replacement tank at Veurinks (its steel) in Michigan but they are currently out of stock and are waiting for a new shipment of tanks.  I'm looking for a replacement as soon as possible.  Talin no longer is producing their stainless steel tanks and Source has an aluminum tank.  And I'm not sure if Source is still making their aluminum tank.

Are there any other suppliers of this Monaco style tank?

What's been the experience of those who have replaced their surge tank?

My current tank has 2 holes at the top, one for a hose the other for the low level light.  Veurinks tank only has one hole at the top and a site glass level on the side.  I'm not sure where my existing hose on the top would connect.  I presume its a coolant return line.  Any thoughts from those who have made the swap?

Gary B.

2002 Windsor PBDD

I bought an aluminum one from this place last year. He did a really nice job on it. He will build the site glass on which side you need for access. Last year price 425.00 included shipping

C-Low Fab and Performance

5146 SE Jerry Dr, Prineville, OR 97754                   541-610-2574   Chris Lowenstein

Thanks to the contributors.  This is great info for those who need it and for the future for us all probably.

James (AZ Expert) on YouTube has a 2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder, and he recently did a video on replacing the tank on his Cat C-12, although I don’t know if it’s what you need:

I went with the C-Low tank. It came with a low coolant sensor. There are two system vents on the top that connect to the old 1/4" hoses. The low coolant sensor connects to the old low level wire and the other end to ground.

C-Low Tank.jpg

• Like 1

I did the C low tank a year ago, probably 6-7 thousand miles, excellent quality and fast shipping, I’m happy with it, I would do the same tank again! 
The reason I chose this tank is because you can see the coolant level.

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Like 1

Replaced plastic tank with Source Engg aluminum tank at about 72,500 miles.  Tight fit but fine.  Hose connection, sensor, and sight glass all fine.  Used the green coolant.  Lights up clearly when checking level.  That was about 4,000 miles ago.  All good so far. 

1 hour ago, C-Low Fab and Performance said:

Thanks for the recommendations fellas, here's one I finished up yesterday. 

20230815_181229.jpg

When you can make welds look like artwork, you know you have skills. Chris, out of curiosity, do you make tanks for us 8.1 gasser folks?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Low Fab and Performance said:

No I haven't, are they a known problem like these original tanks? Since it's an 8.1 there is probably plastic replacements readily available unlike these 

I haven’t heard of any problems, but I’m not a real big fan of plastic components in a high heat area.

• Like 1