2006 HR Scepter 40PDQ

Good Morning Group!  I previously was asking opinions about a 2004 Monaco Camelot that I was intending to purchase that everyone was gracious enough to give me feedback on.  That purchase however is not going well (seller getting cold feet and wants to keep it) so I'm looking at other options to up-size from my current 2004 Monaco Knight 34PDD to.  Recently I found a listing for a 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ that seems to meet my requirements for 4-Slides, powerful motor for towing, side radiator, and nice interior layout.  My question to the group is: "What should I be looking for or need to know about that might be a problem?".  The coach has about 125K miles on the Cummins ISL 400hp motor, which doesn't bother me as much as very low miles (not being used).  Seems like a nice rig, but i've only seen it in a FB Marketplace ad, and its about 4 hrs drive from me to see it in person at a dealership.   Trying to do my due diligence before making the trip to go see her in person, any feedback would be appreciated.

If it's in good condition and priced below market it'll be gone quick, especially for a rare side radiator.   

We spotted ours on FB during the week, 2.5 hrs away.  We made an appt ASAP (1st thing Sat morning), made an offer and bought it on the spot.  There were other appointments after us that day.  Before we brought the rest of the money they had people angry because the seller wouldn't accept their higher offer.  More than one. 

- bob

There was a recall on some of those engines for connecting rod failure. 

NHTSA Campaign Number: 07E033000

Manufacturer CUMMINS, INC.

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,159

Summary

CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

Remedy

EACH VEHICLE MANUFACTURER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF VEHICLES THAT CONTAIN THESE ENGINES ABOUT THIS DEFECT. CUMMINS WILL CONDUCT THE REMEDY CAMPAIGN AND PROVIDE QUARTERLY COMPLETION REPORTS BROKEN DOWN BY VEHICLE MANUFACTURER; HOWEVER THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RECALL. VEHICLES WILL BE REPAIRED AT NO COST TO THE OWNER. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 20, 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT EITHER THEIR VEHICLE MANUFACTURER OR CUMMINS CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-343-7357.

At 125,000 miles I'd think you're well past that problem though. It would already have happened I'd think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FishAR said:

There was a recall on some of those engines for connecting rod failure. 

NHTSA Campaign Number: 07E033000

Manufacturer CUMMINS, INC.

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,159

Summary

CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

Remedy

EACH VEHICLE MANUFACTURER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF VEHICLES THAT CONTAIN THESE ENGINES ABOUT THIS DEFECT. CUMMINS WILL CONDUCT THE REMEDY CAMPAIGN AND PROVIDE QUARTERLY COMPLETION REPORTS BROKEN DOWN BY VEHICLE MANUFACTURER; HOWEVER THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RECALL. VEHICLES WILL BE REPAIRED AT NO COST TO THE OWNER. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 20, 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT EITHER THEIR VEHICLE MANUFACTURER OR CUMMINS CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-343-7357.

At 125,000 miles I'd think you're well past that problem though. It would already have happened I'd think.

I know about that problem, but figured with the age and milage it would have already been fixed or would have already happened.  I will check the engine serial number to see if its within the range.  Thanks for the heads up, although I knew about it, I didn't know the detail that you provided, which is very helpful.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, sailorp40 said:

Might want to check out my 2005 Dynasty Diamond IV I have for sale listed in our classifieds.

George Brennan 

2005 Dynasty Diamond IV

Puyallup, WA 

I saw that one too and commented on it.  Would consider more seriously but in South Florida with a busy schedule I'm trying to find something available closer to me.

3 hours ago, Bob Wightman said:

I know about that problem, but figured with the age and milage it would have already been fixed or would have already happened.  I will check the engine serial number to see if its within the range.  Thanks for the heads up, although I knew about it, I didn't know the detail that you provided, which is very helpful.  Thank you!

I saw that one too and commented on it.  Would consider more seriously but in South Florida with a busy schedule I'm trying to find something available closer to me.

how do we find the classified ads.  hit all the buttons but no joy.

Go to the home page. Scroll Down until you reach where it says, Classified Ads. You will have four categories to choose from, Coaches for sale, Parts for sale, Toads for sale and Item's in search of.

This is on my laptop which I generally use for Monacoers. On a smart phone you are on your own! My phone is primarily used for phone calls and text messages along with some useful apps that I use.

Be sure to get it professionally inspected by a certified NRVIA inspector. They will find things that you won’t and that the seller may not even know about. They can handle the analysis for your engine, transmission and generator fluids too which is vitally important.

We spent a few hundred dollars on getting ours inspected and it literally saved us thousands in repairs that the dealer had to fix. It also gives you great leverage when negotiating the final price. Money absolutely we’ll spent!