Leveling a Monaco Diplomat 40 PAQ with a 3-point Power Gear Electronic Leveling System

Go to solution Solved by DennisZ,

I recently purchased this coach. I'm having difficulties trying to level the coach.

The manual states turn off the engine, extend the slides, and dump the air then auto level.  When the leveling begins the front jack goes down, then the rear jacks raise the back of the coach to a very high and un-level situation.

The control is a ‘Power Gear Electronic Leveling System', when reading through the operating procedures there it states to leave the engine running while leveling. What is the correct procedure for leveling the coach?

My coach has 4 jacks and is different from yours. On my coach I usually run the engine and I know that the hydraulic pump is electrical, so the engine has almost zero impact on the leveling.

When we first got the coach the auto level would raise the coach very high, sometimes with the rear wheels off the ground. Since then I always level manually starting with the rear jacks, then with the front. Now I never raise the rear wheels off the ground as there is a risk that the coach could run on a sloped site. 
I suggest that you try manually leveling your coach. Time wise it may be faster once you learn the process. 
The other thing you can do is to calibrate the leveling system and there is documentation on how to do it or have a dealer do it for you (I did not have a good outcome of the dealer doing it).

all the best and let us know what your outcome is. 

I shut down the engine, dump the air, level, and extend the slides.  My goal is to have the jacks extended the least amount and the tires not touching the framework.  I pay close attention to not stretch the air bags.  It sounds like you might need to recalibrate the power gear system.  I purchased some Bigfoot outrigger pads and they have helped me when leveling on dirt.

I have the same three point system, but no slides. I shut down the engine, dump the air and MANUALLY LEVEL. I believe the auto level can be calibrated if you wish, but I actually prefer manual leveling, starting with the front first. The auto isn’t any faster IMHO, after you have practiced a few times and decide where you need to place the level used for leveling. I found a spot on my kitchen counter that works perfectly for me. 

Lee, we have a 2005 Safari Cheetah which is similar to yours. Our Power Gear leveling system is not auto level but is three point. Our instructed system is also similar: Cut off engine to extend slides, dump air, restart engine to level. I think this may be because the leveling system and the slides are 12v using the chassis batteries and so the engine running is required for the alternator to assist in carrying the electrical load. I do not know this for a fact just a supposition. the Roadmaster chassis has an air support system that keeps the "house" level as long as the chassis is relatively level. Slides are to be deployed while the air suspension is aired up to prevent torquing of the chassis and slides during weight shift. Once slides are diploid the coach is aired down to lower coach chassis and minimize required travel for the jacks maximizing the possible lift travel chassis to ground. There are safeguards built in to prevent the slides from deploying while the engine is running, thus the stopping the engine t

I have a Diplomat with the 3 jack system. Shut engine down and extend slides. You can dump air if you like or level with it aired up. Turn the key to on but do not start. If you start it is airing up as you try to level and it is confused. So turn key to the right to on and and then push auto level and it should extend the front jack first then rear jacks. If you want to to do it manually push and hold the manual button for about 5 seconds for it to engage. The extend front jack and raise the front about 2". Then extend the rear jacks and adjust between the 3 until you get the green light.

Because we boondock a LOT- we carry blocks to ramp the tires if needed.  Often we will have the front wheels up 4” on blocks.

Our auto leveling is completely messed up - can’t level on a level spot. We got a Level-Mate Pro.  It is very nice because I can see on my phone how many inches each tire needs to rise.

our parking procedures:

Park - look at Level Mate Pro

Add blocks if needed - once driven on the blocks.

Slide Out (under full air).

Jacks Down - front down first.

I normally use the auto, tried the manual once and the coach looked like a pretzel, why the windshield didn't pop or break is beyond me.  Apparently i did something wrong.  I think i need to recalibrate, sometimes one or two won't retrack quite all the way, could be the adjuster but I think I'll do the leveling procedure first.    I park, slide out, dump and level, any other way and one basement door will just hit the slide,  I had the slides adjusted.   Thanks DennisZ for posting the level procedure.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all that responded to my question.  I have used the Park, Slides out, Dump the air, and then manual leveled because I cannot re-calibrate the system right now, I need to wait till I get back home and have the right items needed to include a level spot. DennisZ's information looks like what I need when I return home.....In March.