Doin’ the two step

JDCrow

It’s been a big gripe of my wife, the step out the dip. We had just a single step. I really didn’t know how bad it was till this last year. So I started to hunt down what to do. 

Thought I’d just pick up a new Kwikee two step and buy the gearbox for the longer throw, but found the whole thing,  new but opened box on EBay for about $100 off retail.

Here’s what I started withIMG_9498.thumb.jpeg.e8ad0b1ebf1ff873b96188039880df0b.jpeg

No wonder it was open box, smashed plug, but it’s the side I don’t need

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.de7cc6f7a24208a4d07bf20bececbfa6.jpeg
No paint from factory 

IMG_9500.thumb.jpeg.d607cdaa62804eef5515da1632f8ae53.jpeg

So rattled some paint and anti-seize   

IMG_9502.thumb.jpeg.68499e2a141760047c37efdb0a166023.jpeg

Ready to go up

IMG_9503.thumb.jpeg.5ce26ce7c6cc494ffe365b8e8f9f034d.jpeg

Out

image.thumb.jpg.81055c12e8228e158a5e6546f2322b96.jpg

In

image.thumb.jpg.bc5bc73143b12e1321084a28addeeee1.jpg

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

It’s been a big gripe of my wife, the step out the dip. We had just a single step. I really didn’t know how bad it was till this last year. So I started to hunt down what to do. 

Thought I’d just pick up a new Kwikee two step and buy the gearbox for the longer throw, but found the whole thing,  new but opened box on EBay for about $100 of retail.

Here’s what I started withIMG_9498.thumb.jpeg.e8ad0b1ebf1ff873b96188039880df0b.jpeg

No wonder it was open box, smashed plug, but it’s the side I don’t need

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.de7cc6f7a24208a4d07bf20bececbfa6.jpeg
No paint from factory 

IMG_9500.thumb.jpeg.d607cdaa62804eef5515da1632f8ae53.jpeg

So rattled some paint and anti-seize   

IMG_9502.thumb.jpeg.68499e2a141760047c37efdb0a166023.jpeg

Ready to go up

IMG_9503.thumb.jpeg.5ce26ce7c6cc494ffe365b8e8f9f034d.jpeg

Out

image.thumb.jpg.81055c12e8228e158a5e6546f2322b96.jpg

In

image.thumb.jpg.bc5bc73143b12e1321084a28addeeee1.jpg

GREAT WORK.  But since many here are approaching or already senior citizens….a word of warning.  This probability applies to many steps, but the scissors or fold up ones are “dangerous”….as in….when the step starts to act balky….treat it with all due respect.  

I guess my former life, as a Safety Director that had to teach “Fall Prevention” more times that I can recall or investigate some really ugly and many were rehabilitating….as in, went out on Long Term Disability and couldn’t play golf or walk without a cane….KICKS IN.  IT happens….and your lifestyle or a friend or family member’s lifestyle is forever changed….

The “Lock IN - Lock OUT” function or stability of the scissors steps depends on a GOOD motor.  When the steps cycle, the motor stops and is “locked”.  BUT if the plastic gear inside the motor has stripped (common failure), then if one puts weight on a step, it can partially retract or become s hazard.

My motor failed about 11 years.  Now, it was used a LOT.  We had over 700 nights out and the average stay was maybe a smidge over 2 nights.  BUT, I never used the Steps RETRACT every time the door is closed.  I left them out and they only retracted when we broke camps and the ignition switch was ON.  If someone uses the retract every time door is closed, that puts more wear on the plastic drive gear….which locks the steps in place.

My teenage GD came out and the steps failed.  She obviously had the reflexes to not get hurt.  Had that been my DW, with a bad knee (now replaced), the result could have been devastating.

Just a reminder, as we age….to be aware of the potential for injury snd when the motor acts up or is beginning to fail, I would advise “locking it out”, like we did with our Lockout Tagout programs. Kill the power to the step and secure it in the closed position and not risk a serious fall or accident…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Thanks Tom, now I’m feeling really good that I changed them out. At 21 yrs old, the original ones had to be on their last legs. Here’s to 20 more years for us and a new owner down the road 

THANKS AND GREAT.  just remember, you don’t know the motor’s condition.  Be aware…if the steps are flaky…read the troubleshooting guide…easy to follow.  BUT be aware of the safety risks…and stop using a step that appears NOT to be locking in or out…

27 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

THANKS AND GREAT.  just remember, you don’t know the motor’s condition.  Be aware…if the steps are flaky…read the troubleshooting guide…easy to follow.  BUT be aware of the safety risks…and stop using a step that appears NOT to be locking in or out…

Thankfully this is a brand new unit. New steps,  new gearbox and new motor. 

14 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

like we did with our Lockout Tagout programs.  

Was hoping after retiring, I'd never hear that term for the rest of my life!

On maintenance day's, we'd spend the first two hours of the shift going from switchroom to switchroom, locking out switches, and valves. 

Kinda makes me glad I replaced my entire step system. Of course mine was the result of the door open being open and not knowing it (our friends opened the door but didn't close it and I ASSumed they had), and then hitting a boulder with the steps, as we were leaving our RV spot. Moral of the story, never be in a rush, when you're leaving.

Edited by FLynes

• 1 month later...

I thought about replacing my single step with a double for the same reason.   Then I discovered the air leveling has a "level then lower" function.   That resolved the step height, and eliminated the potential for dragging the bottom step hitting a curb or ground in certain cases.  

1 hour ago, Dbircky said:

I thought about replacing my single step with a double for the same reason.   Then I discovered the air leveling has a "level then lower" function.   That resolved the step height, and eliminated the potential for dragging the bottom step hitting a curb or ground in certain cases.  

My coach doesn’t have air level. I have 3 point hydraulic level.

The step is maybe an 1” fatter now so not concerned with hitting anything. 

I’m glad yours worked out, maybe our next coach will be more user friendly.

FWIW: We were traveling with some friends and one grassy site sloped up a fair amount at the front and up toward the door too. When they leveled the back of the coach raised fairly high (but wheels still on the ground) and the passenger front was so low the double step couldn't swing all the way down and out, so we had to dig the grass & dirt down almost 2 inches to allow the steps to come out and lock in place ... just barely clearing the ground.  So make sure your new double step can swing down and all the way out whenever you park.

BTW, our step is a double "Coach Step" that slides out on glides vs swinging down from a hinge point.  So sometimes it'll wedge itself into grassy dirt.  Not too often, but very dependant on the slope of the site. And sometimes on sloping sites I have to check to make sure the coach hasn't (or won't) settled down onto the step maintaining auto level mode.  At least the controller senses the high current and cuts off the power no matter where it runs into something vs some other physical limit switch design.  Also comes in handy when accidentally parking too close to a curb.  And if I'm street parking for a few days I make sure the steps aren't over the curb/sidewalk in case the coach "auto" settles a bit.