Volvo tank gone bad again

Go to solution Solved by Rocketman3,

I have the Volvo plastic “football” surge tank that has gone bad again!

It was replaced about 2 years ago…

Then it went bad again… replaced it myself 6weeks ago.  (Found it new a NAPA).

Then today, I had my rig in to a mechanic- he said it’s leaking around the top. (Same place as last time!!!).

Does anyone know of a another supplier? Or someplace than can build one from scratch… alum - steel - anything but plastic!

• Sad 1

What is it used for?

So many times, people post things that I have no clue what they are talking about. I guess they "assume" we know.

I guess if I don't know what they are talking about, I can't help, but it would be nice to know what they are talking about, in case I upgrade to a rig that has the thing I don't know anything about.

Make senses?

🙂😉

Bill, it is used for the engine coolant overflow. It is a plastic tank that looks like a football. Why they ever decided to use something as stupid looking and totally useless versus installing one that actually works is above my pay grade.

I would have a real tank custom built and installed in a heartbeat. Then be done with it forever.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Bill, it is used for the engine coolant overflow. It is a plastic tank that looks like a football. Why they ever decided to use something as stupid looking and totally useless versus installing one that actually works is above my pay grade.

I would have a real tank custom built and installed in a heartbeat. Then be done with it forever.

Same reason every other manufacturer uses plastic in a hot engine compartment…it saves on their bottom dollar and gives their parts department a reason to exist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

I'd also check your pressure cap rating.  My coach came with a 16#, as I recall.  Many have dropped it down to 9, or even 7.

This👆🏼 the caps were way overkill from the factory. If everything within the cooling system is functioning properly, a 7lb cap works just fine. No sense is causing excess pressure/stress on the system components such as hoses and radiator if not necessary 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  From what I can tell, the fabricators don’t make a replacement for the Volvo football tanks.

There was a different tank that was discontinued that they make - the big difference is how they bolt on - I would have to weld new brackets to use the nice alum tanks.

i decided to go with @veraken idea and just ordered a new tank from Amazon. I also got some JB WELD and added it all around the cap area. That’s where they have been leaking - I figure some extra support for the plastic might be helpful.

If this fix doesn’t work - I will get the alum custom ones and figure out the welding brackets.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Rocketman3

51 minutes ago, Rocketman3 said:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  From what I can tell, the fabricators don’t make a replacement for the Volvo football tanks.

There was a different tank that was discontinued that they make - the big difference is how they bolt on - I would have to weld new brackets to use the nice alum tanks.

i decided to go with @veraken idea and just ordered a new tank from Amazon. I also got some JB WELD and added it all around the cap area. That’s where they have been leaking - I figure some extra support for the plastic might be helpful.

If this fix doesn’t work - I will get the alum custom ones and figure out the welding brackets.

Thanks for all the help.

Give it a spray with that Permatex sealant I posted above. Mine hasn't leaked since I sprayed it 1 1/2 years ago. If nothing else it's handy have along just in case it does start leaking on the road. 

Have you considered contacting the aluminum tank manufacturer in Oregon and ask if you could send your old tank to them and have one fabricated that would fit the current mounting configuration? Sorry if this was mentioned already.

Maybe he would cut you a break on the price for having an example to copy for future sales!

Just an idea.

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Like 2