More keys please

Romeo84

Well here is my current situation. I have just recently lost my ignition key ring. Yup all of them. 

Ironically I have pictures of the trimark and FRB key so I have the numbers off them but.....

Does anyone have advice on how to replace the ignition 2001 signature.

I believe I remember someone saying it's off an old chevy ignition.. 

Any helper advice would be awesome.

Would would I source these keys at or am I just outta luck. 

20201030_213210.jpg

20201030_213156.jpg

Edited by Romeo84

13 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Yeah it is vintage Chevy. Sorry I don’t have my coach with me. Someone will know more as far as part numbers. I have a Napa one in a drawer if my coach 

So it is a fairly simple swap?

30 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Yes, large nut just goes around the whole unit on the back side . Screw it off and disconnect wires. Take it parts store 

Here's your parts store -

https://www.amazon.com/JDMSPEED-Ignition-Cylinder-Replacement-1967-1979/dp/B08K4492KB/   which will be a lot cheaper than a locksmith.

If you can find the key there's a YouTube showing how easy it is to remove the barrel (the key part) without taking the switch out of the dash.  But I think you have to remove the barrel to get the nut to slip over the top of it to get the switch out of the dash.  I don't remember. 

Whether you can jam a screwdriver into the slot and turn it with a wrench . . . . I'll let someone chime in if that will make things worse. 

For 21 bucks I'd do the whole thing.  Keep the spare somewhere! 

- bob

4 hours ago, Romeo84 said:

Well here is my current situation. I have just recently lost my ignition key ring. Yup all of them. 

Ironically I have pictures of the trimark and FRB key so I have the numbers off them but.....

Does anyone have advice on how to replace the ignition 2001 signature.

I believe I remember someone saying it's off an old chevy ignition.. 

Any helper advice would be awesome.

Would would I source these keys at or am I just outta luck. 

20201030_213210.jpg

20201030_213156.jpg

Look at the ignition.  Does it have a small access hole?  If so….good news and bad (memory).  The older GM’S had a hole…put in a paper clip, turn the key and the tumbler set came out.  The BAD….you need a key.  Every since my “steady” GF tried to play a practical joke on me and pretend she lost my Pontiac Tempest key….and then DID….I always have a spare on any vehicle in a magnetic “Hide-A-Key” box.  Some how, i used a paperclip (that was 58 years ago) and got out the cylinder….maybe with a “won’t” turn it other GM key.  A local locksmith had a ring of 100 plus GM MASTER KEYS.  .He was busy.  Tossed the ring to me….found it or one that worked.  He told me…come back tomorrow, I’ll cut one.  I fibbed..said I had cut keys as part of my job at Sears….And FAKED IT.  It worked.  I did elope with her a few months later….58 years in 34 days…

Do some YouTube.  Then maybe pull the cylinder…..otherwise unplug and remove….get a few spares made….

• Like 2

You can get the whole assembly with two keys from nappa the next day for just a little over $30. Once you unscrew the large outer cone shaped ring you can remove the switch from the rear. If yours is like mine Monaco did not use the molded plug they just put female spade terminals on the wires so no worries on fit.

Roy  2003 Dynasty  

Thought about it for a minute you might have to with a screw driver and paper clip remove the key cylinder to get the bezel off. if you get it out cleanly you could just get a new key cylinder but as old as it is the whole thing might be better/

Roy 2003 Dynasty

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the help. Swap was super easy Just replaced the whole assembly, and wouldn't you know it?

I get back home and my wife said the keys were in her purse the whole time.

I bet I have over twenty hours tearing into every door, drawer, closet, garbage can at home and in the camper looking for those bad boys. 

Welp Now I have a spare ignition and a whole bunch of spare keys. 🙃 

• Haha 3

Guest Ray Davis
3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

you mean you don't routinely look through her purse?

Are you crazy?  Besides you couldn't admit that you found them.  😁