Anyone have an idea where this is coming from?

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

Most of our trips so far have been local weekends.  Last weekend we went to Sebastian Inlet State Park.  The drive was a little over 2 hours and when we arrived I found this when I hooked up the electrical.  I have never seen this before.  It appears to be coming from the top of the electrical bay door next to the engine. 

Below is a photo of the exterior door and a photo of what's behind it.  It looks like oil of some kind, but it doesn't appear to be coming from inside the compartment, as there is no fluid in the electrical bay.  Any suggestions where/what is leaking? Thanks in advance.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

Edited by tomevansfl

19 minutes ago, tomevansfl said:

Most of our trips so far have been local weekends.  Last weekend we went to Sebastian Inlet State Park.  The drive was a little over 2 hours and when we arrived I found this when I hooked up the electrical.  I have never seen this before.  It appears to be coming from the top of the electrical bay door next to the engine. 

Below is a photo of the exterior door and a photo of what's behind it.  It looks like oil of some kind, but it doesn't appear to be coming from inside the compartment, as there is no fluid in the electrical bay.  Any suggestions where/what is leaking? Thanks in advance.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

It is rust from the fasteners of the door hinge or the cover of the door hinge. I had same issue on my front electric panel door.

• Like 3

There is a slide adjacent to this bay, but it isn't directly above.  I'm not sure if it is hydraulic.  When fully extended, it will make a low clicking noise when it reaches full extension.  Below are photos of this area with the slide out I took on other trips. The door in question is the last one on this side.  The slide is more or less over the bay in front of the electrical bay.

I will be going to the storage facility over the weekend and I'll look at the hinges for rust.  There is a hydraulic jack behind the next bay forward.  The next bay has the condenser for the dash air conditioning.  The first fuel filter and hydraulic jack for the rear driver's side are behind the condenser radiator (black grill).

It could be the hydraulic jack on the rear of the driver's side leaking because when we were breaking camp the rear hydraulic jack on the passenger side (opposite side) didn't fully retract.  I had to re-extend the driver's side jack fully to get the passenger side jack to fully retract.  Then the driver's side jack (the one behind the dash air condenser) fully retracted without issue.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I had never considered rust or hydraulic fluid from the slide or jack.  I'll check for all three when I return to the storage facility this weekend.

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

22 minutes ago, tomevansfl said:

There is a slide adjacent to this bay, but it isn't directly above.  I'm not sure if it is hydraulic.  When fully extended, it will make a low clicking noise when it reaches full extension.  Below are photos of this area with the slide out I took on other trips. The door in question is the last one on this side.  The slide is more or less over the bay in front of the electrical bay.

I will be going to the storage facility over the weekend and I'll look at the hinges for rust.  There is a hydraulic jack behind the next bay forward.  The next bay has the condenser for the dash air conditioning.  The first fuel filter and hydraulic jack for the rear driver's side are behind the condenser radiator (black grill).

It could be the hydraulic jack on the rear of the driver's side leaking because when we were breaking camp the rear hydraulic jack on the passenger side (opposite side) didn't fully retract.  I had to re-extend the driver's side jack fully to get the passenger side jack to fully retract.  Then the driver's side jack (the one behind the dash air condenser) fully retracted without issue.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I had never considered rust or hydraulic fluid from the slide or jack.  I'll check for all three when I return to the storage facility this weekend.

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

"CLICKING" means that the slide is an ELECTRIC slide....NOT a Hydraulic slide.  MOST bedroom slides, on the Camelots and Diplomats and lower food chain are ELECTRIC....NOT HYDRAULIC....

• Like 2

• Solution

When this happened to me it was the trim piece above the storage bay door that needed to be caulked better.  Rain water would flow behind the trim piece causing the metal behind to rust and then flow down the front of the storage bay door.

• Like 3

I'm also going with rust from the either the beltline screws or the bay door hinge screws (or both).  Either way, it's a job to fix (right).  There's a video on Monacoer's YouTube channel how to deal with it. 

When you do re-seal the beltline be sure to use Proflex sealant and plan on using the whole tube.  I sealed my tube with HVAC metal tape and it still cured enough that it was impossible to push out the tube.  I had to cut the tube open for the last part of the project. 

If you start seeing your bay door not lining up with the rest of the coach it's critical to fix immediately. 

- bob

• Like 4

I had the same thing and didn't know what was going on until it was too late.  It ended up being a leak at the upper belt line.  Where the rear cap met the roof cap there was hump and I believe it wasn't caulk properly and/or flexing of the coach broke the seal. 

Ultimately the water intrusion caused delamination on the side of the coach at the passenger side rear between the upper and lower belt lines.  The water ran down the rear belt line to the area above my passenger side rear electrical bay.  I was seeing similar staining and then the delamination.   Here's a post I did 

I removed the upper belt line till I found good screws going forward and then down the rear, most of these screws were rusted off, then the lower belt line forward.  Not an easy job.  I used West two part epoxy to try and fix the delamination, it did make everything solid but I do have some waves in the side panel.  I built a garage and shop area and used the sidewall of the shop to be able to put lots of pressure on the large flat plates I made and had everything prepped, inserted the epoxy using various methods, then used precut boards to put the pressure on the plates.  I anticipated that epoxy would be messy and tried to seal up everything ahead of time but even with lots of prep work I had a slight leak of epoxy out a mounting hole from the dryer vent >>>>> once epoxy dries it is almost impossible to get it off.  Ultimately I had to scrape/sand the area flat and repaint, the paint blended fine, the clear coat not so much.  From an angle I can see it. 

• Like 2

I will offer my .02. I had similar looking stuff INSIDE of my Coach on a counter by the wall. Turned out I had a leak in the upper beltline and this was what was coming out. Got the leak fixed and have never seen it again. Mine was much less prominent than what you see but it looks very similar. Kinda oily sticky stuff?

• Like 2

In your photo of the power cord bay, I see the power cord going into the Progressive Industies EMS.  The cord does not look like it's clamped on the outer cover if the power cord.  I would recommend working to get the wire adjusted to clamp on the outer cover.  What I see is a problem waiting to happen.  If the streaking is rust, then water is getting into the side wall and coming out the bottom at either the top belt line of just above the compartment doors in the lower beltline.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  You have given me some much-needed direction to start investigating the source of the staining.  I'll be starting the investigation this weekend.

On 10/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, Chargerman said:

Sorry to post something that is off topic but it looks like your power cord needs some attention where it enters the surge protector before you have a bigger issue with it  

Thanks, I'll look at resolving this issue.

Edited by tomevansfl