Auto Start Setup Freedom Xantrex Trace Controller?

tmw188
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

I have the OE Xantrex 2000w MSW Inverter/Charger with the Trace control board. There are stickers on the generator warning about the auto start. I can start the gen from the controller board but really never start from there. I don’t see the setup instructions in the manual for the auto start. Is there an additional pc of equipment I’m missing? 

https://www.donrowe.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/freedom_sw_ags_owners_guide.pdf

@Frank McElroy Found this when I googled.  I checked the two Freedom manual we have, but didn't see anything about it.  Might want to add this to the Freedom File.

Todd, you need to locate the AGS unit.  It appears to be a standalone unit and you should have found an AGS manual in the "Monaco" file briefcase.

If you don't have the external or add on module....you do NOT have an AGS...

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Auto Start Setup Freedom Xantrex Trace Controller?

Thanks Tom I haven’t found the RC manual yet it might in the mh. I did down load it and I’m looking into it. One give away might be to look for the control wire going to the Inverter port itself. If it’s there which I believe it is I might have it? 

It is the RC7GS and I had the manual in the coach, however I don’t seem to be able to bring up the menu it’s asking for. I was at the coach to do other things and didn’t have the time to work on it much. Shouldn’t  there be a control wire running to the gen? 

Edited by tmw188

13 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

It is the RC7GS and I had the manual in the coach, however I don’t seem to be able to bring up the menu it’s asking for. I was at the coach to do other things and didn’t have the time to work on it much. Shouldn’t  there be a control wire running to the gen? 

Yes and no.  First, locate the AGS Module.  They are not bulletproof, especially the Magnum.  Look at the manual I found.  There should be a phone/data connection to the AGS from the remote.  This is a more complicated system as the data connection requires termination resistors on each end….totally MPX

Next, there should be a multi wire harness going to the Genny…..Maybe 5 wires from the AGS.  READ THE MANUAL.  There is actually a 20 pin connector as the various types of generators and the design of the start and stop varies.  I DO know the Monaco used a negative or ground start configuration with the Onans….that came from  Magnum.  The Magnum tech knew which two wires for me to jumper with a paper clip to start and stop.

if your remote does not recognize (assuming you found the AGS module), then checking data cables and resistors is the first step and Xantrex/Freedom will be your tech support.  The remote has to “see” or be in the data buss MPX before you can do anything.

FIND the AGS.  Then reestablish communications.  The AGS does NOT have to have the generator connected to be acknowledged.

These are the first steps.

Good Luck…

• Solution

There is no AGS module with the legacy Xantrex. The only connection between the remote and the inverter is the yellow (factory) data cable. All the options are set in the remote. Different from Magnums that use the extra box to do that. Connections to generator are terminated at the inverter itself. Here is the manual, basically you hold the UP and Down buttons until a beep and get your settings screen. You MUST set the time of day for it to work, at the end of sequence.

RC7_owners (1).pdf

Yes I found the manual and that’s what I read too about setting the time. I’ll run thru it next time maybe today yet or tomorrow. I’ve never saw a separate module, as Tom thought I had but the RC 7GS panel did seem to be everything I needed just based on the fact it can be started and stopped from it. 

Ok went to the coach and set the time and checked the setting for the batteries. I’ll be getting new batteries in the spring they are 5 yrs old. I’ll have to change the amp hrs on the bank when I get the new batteries because it is only set for 250ah currently. I cycled thru to the default (push to start) after playing around with it so that turns off any program auto start that was in there. It has always been on the default anyway. Looks like it should work once I get things ready for that operation. I may want the gen to auto start when and if the batteries get down to let’s say 55% while maybe dry camping a night on the rd some time. I installed a dedicated PSW just for the fridg recently and 200w of solar to keep the batteries up during storage. Thanks for everyone’s help. 

IMG_9122.jpeg

Edited by tmw188

52 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Ok went to the coach and set the time and checked the setting for the batteries. I’ll be getting new batteries in the spring they are 5 yrs old. I’ll have to change the amp hrs on the bank when I get the new batteries because it is only set for 250ah currently. I cycled thru to the default (push to start) after playing around with it so that turns off any program auto start that was in there. It has always been on the default anyway. Looks like it should work once I get things ready for that operation. I may want the gen to auto start when and if the batteries get down to let’s say 55% while maybe dry camping a night on the rd some time. I installed a dedicated PSW just for the fridg recently and 200w of solar to keep the batteries up during storage. Thanks for everyone’s help. 

Good deal.  Glad folks were able to help you out.  If you decide as many of us old fogeys do, that flooded cells are more robust, then the recommendation is Trojan T-105.  Here is a file that many have found helpful.  You have lots of time to read.  Folks that have read and used this report great results and get better life.  We have many folks running the Trojans that are approaching 10 years and they will STILL recharge to 100%

The key is to KNOW when they discharge and the AGS kicks in, NOT what the “load” voltage is, but the “recovery voltage” of what they recover to….that is the REAL SOC.  Basically, with my Magnum setup, I know that using 11.8 VDC for the AGS will result in a recovery voltage of around 12.0, which is 50%.  Many folks set the AGS way high and never really deep cycle the batteries and they don’t last as long.

BTW any of you with this Inverter do you feel the battery SOC reading is accurate? I noticed there is no shunt on the battery bank itself but noticed in the manual it is built into the Inverter itself. Wonder how reliable the reading is. 

12 hours ago, tmw188 said:

I’ve looked at T 105’s but not sure if I want to spend that much. At some point I need to go good enough if I’m getting out in 2-3 yrs. Thanks for the file I’ll certainly look at it.

Sort of like the old oil filter commercial….pay me now or later.  There are many folks that purchase deep cycle marine/RV batteries at Costco, Sams, BJ’s.  Some are name brand.  But, be aware, look at the Amp Hour ratings.  Costco sold an Interstate Golf cart/RV/marine/deep cycle “special” made for Costco.  It was $110.  It only was rated at 200 Amp Hours.   The local Interstate distributor had the 225, standard version for $120.  

If you buy the Duracell 230 AH deep cycle GC2 battery…$155 at Batteries plus.  No one has ever reported 5 years from them….sort of disposable.  Spend $165 for the Trojan T-105.  Get 7 years….or more.  HMMMM??  Most folks price shop and find local golf cart shops that are very price competitive.

FWIW, purchasing an “no fuss, no mess” AGM will add 50%.  But, if you do NOT exercise and take care of them or just let them run down….as they are hyped as “indestructible”, then be prepared to replace.  We have had a lot of folks go BACK, once they learned thd basics of batteries and now use flooded cells.  This is more critical on llder inverters that don’t have the advanced electronics of today’s models.

Do the math.  Spend 80% or even 75% of the cost of the Trojan T105….  And get half the life…..

21 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

BTW any of you with this Inverter do you feel the battery SOC reading is accurate? I noticed there is no shunt on the battery bank itself but noticed in the manual it is built into the Inverter itself. Wonder how reliable the reading is. 

Suggest you read the Battery 101.  You are correct.  This his how it works.  I have tested and talked to Magnum….and they say, yes…but way to complicated to explain to our average customer…. 

Here is how you test….and then determine how to set the AGS. First…understand the errors in the remote and the measurement.  I have not seen any side by side comparisons for a shunt system versus real world testing.

Measure the House Bank with a good VOM.  Compare to the Inverter remote meter.  My Magnum reads about 0.10 x 0.15 VDC LOWER.  That reading is what the AGS will use.  So check that first.  

Next…with fully charged batteries, exercise them for 3 cycles…down to about 50%. I use a 350 watt trouble light.  Technically, you need a 10% load….so they run down at a given rate.  If you have a 4 battery bank, you have 400 - 450 Amp hours.  10% or say 42.5 amps.  Times 12.5 (average) equals 531 watts…so a 500 watt halogen work light is fine.

OK….run them down so the LOAD VOLTAGE is,  say, 12.0 VDC.  Now….kill the load.  Let the batteries rest.  Turn off the disconnect.  Remove the jumpers so each battery is isolated…wait maybe half an hour.  NOW, measure the voltage.  Probably “recover” to 12.1/.15.  HMM….that means that you need to set the “load voltage” for the AGS to say 11.8.  Then the recovery voltage or the REAL State of Charge will be 12.0 or around 50%.

This concept is not difficult, but folks will SWEAR….you are destroying your batteries.  Quite the contrary. Flooded cells only have a finite number of “recharges”.  They need to be discharged to the recommended 50% for optimum life expectancy.

If you decide to do the test, please post the various voltages.  I only have my Magnum as a “reference”, but Trojan says that setting the AGS too high…as in the LOAD VOLTAGE is not recommended.

Let us know…..thanks in advance….

On 10/21/2023 at 3:24 PM, tmw188 said:

Ok went to the coach and set the time and checked the setting for the batteries. I’ll be getting new batteries in the spring they are 5 yrs old. I’ll have to change the amp hrs on the bank when I get the new batteries because it is only set for 250ah currently.  

IMG_9122.jpeg

How many batteries do you have?