Toilet water will not quite filling

terboggs
Go to solution Solved by Fasthobie16,

I own a 2001 Monoco Exec and my toilet water is now overflowing. What could cause that, I tried to do a search for this topic. And what kind of Toliet would that model have.

Terrence Boggs

Swimming in Water

Without knowing anything about the specific toilet...is it overflowing because the flush water isn't shutting off?  And eventually it does?

And the toilet is flushing fine?

For example, on my most recent RV trip, my son complained that the toilet was overfilling.  Further examination showed that in actuality it wasnt' flushing and he kept pushing the flush / fill button which then filled it up.  The flush blade was sticking from non use.  Once the flush blade was coaxed to move, all was fine again an no more toilet drama for the trip.

A photo of the toilet would help to identify the model and brand.

It's possible that it has the Sealand Magnum Opus toilet unless someone has replaced with something else.

The Magnum Opus has a control board with a switch on it to choose three different levels of water that will fill the bowl. L/M/H.

Possibly the control board has gone wonky.

Try wiggling the foot peddle up and down. It should rest in the middle somewhere. If that doesn’t stop the problem you’ll have to replace the flush valve. Easy job. Just be sure you turn off t water  pump 😎 .

if you have a Dometic/Sealand toilet like I have in my 2000 Dynasty, there’s plenty of them on eBay and Amazon available  .(get one that will fit your toilet model #). Mine took a part no. 385314349  .  It fits several Sealand models . If I remember, mine is a model 501. YouTube  has some good videos on replacing them . ( You don’t have to remove the toilet bowl for this job like you do to replace the flush seal  .)    When I replaced mine, I put a little dab of silicone grease on the top of the ball that rides on the foot leaver so it could move smoothly . Hope that helps you with the fix.

Use your cellphone camera to find the model number that can be on the side or even the back. It is often under a skirt, as in my toilet’s case, that you first need to remove to find the model. 
Then you can use that model to google the cause and find suitable parts. 

Which brand is this tolet. Oddly it stpunnamed.thumb.jpg.e7c6ef45be3332967cc6c41513cc17fa.jpg

2.jpg

stopped flooding for. a few hours and then started up last night, what would cause an off and on ?

22 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

A photo of the toilet would help to identify the model and brand.

It's possible that it has the Sealand Magnum Opus toilet unless someone has replaced with something else.

The Magnum Opus has a control board with a switch on it to choose three different levels of water that will fill the bowl. L/M/H.

Possibly the control board has gone wonky.

Where would the control board be hidden/

I'm not familiar w that toilet but I'll try to help.  It looks like a manual toilet, hence the foot pedal flusher.  One time when mine did this I had an airlock from changing from onboard to city water. Once I shut the water off to the toilet and ran the water it worked itself out.  However, in yours if it's doing this randomly,  id think there is something wrong or worn in the foot lever mechanism.  I'm not familiar enough with the internal mechanisms of these to offer much more help.  There should be a water supply line behind the toilet w a valve you can shut off/on at least temporarily so u can use the toilet and stop the flooding while researching. 

• Like 1

That is a china bowl manual toilet so there is no control board. Your problem is most likely in the foot control which dumps the bowl and adds water as long as you hold your foot on the pedal.

Not sure what brand and model it is but hopefully someone with the same vintage coach may chime in with that information.

The most popular brands for toilets are Thetford, Dometic and Sealand.

I had a leak in the inlet valve (different foot operated Thedford toilet) due to a crack and had to replace the valve. It can be done but my days of hugging the throne are long gone. 
So I ordered the new valve and then pulled the complete toilet and then rebuilt it in a much easier location. It provided the opportunity to clean where it had not and replace the seals. The job is not really difficult but the removal can be a little messy. Reinstalled after lubricating and since then no issues at all.

These thrones do age and a one-time clean and lube may just be a good investment. 

Edited by Martinvz

13 minutes ago, terboggs said:

anyone know the model

Look on your BUILD SHEET.  Mine has the Thetford 34425.  It has a FILL or FLUSH valve and is a DROP IT DOWN unit and the wand for rinsing.  It also comes in the ADA height.  We replaced ours with the higher one a few years ago.

The "flange" in the floor is universal and the "J Bolts" slide around so that any popular or commercial RV toilet will bolt down.  You replace the Gas Seal.  The water should hook up and work just fine.

If your toilet (the name should be somewhere on the lid) is NOT working...as in the  

The Thetford will work there.  NOW, I used Sealand Manual RV toilet....as Clement Clarke Moore said..."Paraphrasing"...What, to my wondering eyes should appear...but a Dometic (Sealand) Traveler 510 Plus.....

https://www.aquastardistributors.com/product/dometic-traveler-510-plus-gravity-toilet/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA9dGqBhAqEiwAmRpTC91TJ8Rt3p3z4596Pfoe7r2bsMur-0oA0y0PIhU3x4i3vhmMWTAoVRoC22MQAvD_BwE

You can order parts for it.  You will probably have to remove it.  So you need a New Gas Ring seal.  You also OUGHT to replace the valve and O-Ring in the bowl...  THEN of course a new flush valve.

Dometic or Sealand will have parts....you can probably get a Bill or Materials online and find the parts.  TYPICALLY, when you replace the lower (ball) seal and O-ring, they include a new Gas (wax) seal as well.  Then just replace the entire flush valve.  Call Dometic and they can help.

Pulling the toilet is easy..  Two Nuts.  Put some "towels around".  Then move it to a work bench and fix it there..

I changed mine out in the parking lot of a CW in Knoxville, TN.  Only needed a box wrench for the nuts.  I also rebuilt it once after the valve had a leak.  Easy to do on a workbench.

That's about it.