2006 Executive - Correct House Batteries?

Venturer
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Our new 06 Executive has 8 batteries. Two 12 volt chassis and six house. The chassis are correct, but I'm pretty sure the house configuration is wrong. The top slideout tray has two 6 volt Golf Cart 215 amp units dated 7/22 hooked in series. The lower tray has four "Quick Start" 12 volts wired in two banks of two hooked in Parallel. That can't be right for an all electric coach. The 12 volt batteries are dated 7/23. I don't see how the inverter/charger could monitor and charge adequately to say nothing of amount of time to discharge. What is the correct package for this coach? 

EDIT.  Talked to Doug.  He has a "hybrid"  Top tray which should have had FOUR 6VDC now has only TWO.  Bottom Tray has the Four 12 VDC, but they are all in Parallel and NOT TWO in series and then those in Parallel.

End of EDIT 

Edited by Tom Cherry
Edit for clarity of existing batteries

My 2006 Dynasty with the residential refrigerator option has (2) 12 volt chassis batteries mounted in the upper slide tray. There are (4) 6 volt house batteries on the lower tray and (4) 6 volt batteries in the compartment just aft of the main battery box. IIRC the manual has the correct wiring illustrated.

My chassis batteries are mounted inside the rear engine door. The four 12 volts in the lower tray are not deep cycle. They were new in 07/23  but they appear to be automotive starting batteries.  I suspect I would be better off replacing them with four golf cart ones to match the two in the top tray. We won't be doing any dry camping, so maybe it doesn't matter. I've read that the 4 extra batteries det44 has was optional.  Just thought the inverter/charger needed to look at the same style batteries to adjust the charge. Maybe not?? I had six 300 amp Lifelines in our Allegro Bus that were still good after six years when we sold it.  

Edited by Venturer

Sounds like the previous owner had dead house batteries and went the cheapest route possible to sell the coach!

Not a shocker! I put my Harley Davidson up for sale this year. It needed a new battery. I shopped for the cheapest battery that would fit, and crank the motor over!

Edited by 96 EVO

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2006 Executive - Correct House Batteries?

Ben,

Agree with you.  I called Doug out of concern that the 12 VDC might have TWO in series and then those TWO banks in parallel.  Fortunately, he had a single (TWO) bank of TWO 6 VDC up top and the FOUR 12 VDC are all in parallel in the bottom.

He is planning on replacing them with Deep Cycle 6 VDC.  He is not a novice to Class A, but this is his first Monaco.

Doug,

Sent you the files and resources that you will need.  Good Luck and Welcome to the Group.  Lots of great folks here to assist you.

Sounds like you have a great MH....

Thank you Tom. I had already downloaded the Owners manual and a lot of reading. I'm hoping to find a seasoned Monaco owner in the Lake Havasu City, AZ area to learn from. This coach is far more complex that our last Tiffin Bus. It is also superior in build quality than anything I have owned in the past. Hopefully, it will help us enjoy the next few years before we park it. I appreciate all of the help from this forum and look forward to meeting some. We will run down to Quartzite in January to stock up on some of the items we gave away last year when we sold or Bus and thought we were done with the MH life. It's almost like a new beginning. Stay safe. ..     

14 hours ago, Venturer said:

Thank you Tom. I had already downloaded the Owners manual and a lot of reading. I'm hoping to find a seasoned Monaco owner in the Lake Havasu City, AZ area to learn from. This coach is far more complex that our last Tiffin Bus. It is also superior in build quality than anything I have owned in the past. Hopefully, it will help us enjoy the next few years before we park it. I appreciate all of the help from this forum and look forward to meeting some. We will run down to Quartzite in January to stock up on some of the items we gave away last year when we sold or Bus and thought we were done with the MH life. It's almost like a new beginning. Stay safe. ..     

Doug texted me the picture.  I drew up the circuit.  Need all the "experts and NOT experts" to answer my "sarcastic" pop quiz...  What is the Voltage of the lower tray?  Measured to where it connects to the Motor Home or from my QUIZ circuit.

IMG_2235.JPEG

VOLTAGE QUIZ.jpg

18 hours ago, Venturer said:

My chassis batteries are mounted inside the rear engine door. The four 12 volts in the lower tray are not deep cycle. They were new in 07/23  but they appear to be automotive starting batteries.  I suspect I would be better off replacing them with four golf cart ones to match the two in the top tray. We won't be doing any dry camping, so maybe it doesn't matter. I've read that the 4 extra batteries det44 has was optional.  Just thought the inverter/charger needed to look at the same style batteries to adjust the charge. Maybe not?? I had six 300 amp Lifelines in our Allegro Bus that were still good after six years when we sold it.  

Doug, those look like 6V batteries to me!

• Like 1

• Solution
1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Doug, those look like 6V batteries to me!

BEN.....YOU WIN.  BUT, what was the VOLTAGE?  ZERO OF COURSE.  GOOD FIND.  I relied on Doug's comments about them....

BUT, here is UGLY STEP CHILD....they ain't DEEP CYLE and THEY AIN'T HOOKED UP TO NOTHING.  Someone failed basic EE201 Elementary DC Circuits...

Good eyes....  Thanks...

FINAL UPDATE.  Got to thinking about the batteries.  The NAME was misleading.  That is a House Brand (O'Reileys?).  Had Doug pull a PN and also read some specs.  He then texted me this. Turns out they ARE Deep Cycle 6 VDC batteries.  He then corrected the wiring "UH OH" and reported that they seem to be charged or are charging.  That will give him a total of SIX 6 VDC so he will have around 775 or so Amp Hours.  He only has one set of Two Year 6 VDC in the upper tray.

So...  Solved and he can use these new ones as well as the 2 year old ones and determine how they work out.  He does have the Battery 101 and will be able to learn how to exercise and use them.

That's it....

Ben's keen eye made me THINK.... I WONDER....and sure enough, they were DEEP CYCLE.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5585ac922187a02a70ff0a32bdf1e2c.jpeg