Electric Brake Controller Plug? 2006 Executive.

Venturer

11 minutes ago, Venturer said:

My '13 Tiffin had a brake control wire running from the dash to the 7 pin receptacle at the hitch. I just had to wire a controller to it at the dash. Does the 2006 Monaco Executive have that same wire? If so, where would it be?   

There is a 6 pin, 5 wire plug up front on the driver’s side.  Either behind or on the left corner of the dash or under the left corner of the dash or innthe lower left corner of the console next to the driver’s left 

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?&q=Brake controller&type=forums_topic&quick=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Here’s the scoop.  Start reading.  The five wires are

Hot (chassis) power

Switched (ignition switch on) power

Brake signal (service brake pressed) 12 VDC 

Ground

The infamous BLUE WIRE.  This is the wire that goes to rear 7 pin connector.  It will NOT have a GROUND or VOLTAGE Signal.

There are pictures of the connector in several of the posts.  All the wires are #12 AWG.  They have dot matrix printed labels on them. Folks often swear “it ain’t there”.  It IS there….find it….then pin it out and install your controller.  The 2005 was the first year and Monaco goofed, but corrected it in 2006.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Electric Brake Controller Plug? 2006 Executive.
  • 4 weeks later...

I located the harness under the dash with the six pin Mate-N-Loc cap. With a light tester, I connected the ground to several potential ground points and probed the cap to identify what each wire was for. I could not get a circuit on any of them with the key on. Also tried it with the engine running. No luck. The color of the wires across one row feeding in from the back of the cap are: 1/heavy gauge black, 2/yellow, 3/white. The row below is 1/purple with white stripe, 2/Green, 3/Brown. Is there a fuse that has to be put in or a connection to be made that would feed power to the cap? I would think there would be power to the cap when the key is on. Plus, no BLUE wire that Tom spoke of. 

If you do a SEARCH and use BRAKE CONNECTOR and from the EVERYWHERE drop down, select TOPICS....that gives you all the topics back to whenever.  This one describes exactly where it is and what if looks like.

See my previous POST. There are 5 wires. The ONE that has NO SIGNAL or no Voltage is a "non terminated wire...." and it is called the BLUE WIRE as that is the standard 7 Pin connector color for it. The ignition needs to be ON. The wires are as posted. 

If you do NOT have a plug like this, then keep looking. There is ALWAYS an exception, but 99% of the folks looking for it find it and using a VOM or Test Light, they pin them out.

So, that's it.  ALL the wires are WHITE.  If you look carefully on each wire...and as Richard (DR4Film) says, a PICTURE would be great. The wires have their function dot matrix printed on them. A Hand Lens and a flashlight are good to use, but you can READ the wire function or description on all of them.

Look at that. The plug was put on in 2005 of ALL Monaco's. There was a Wiring issue (a Monaco GOOF) and a vendor straightened them out and they corrected it in mid year. All the 2006's were correct.

Keep looking and read the wires that you have. IF they read like the print shows, then your GROUND was faulty....as there is voltage on 3 wires. 1 is Ground and the OTHER is the NON Terminated wire...where you attach the OUTPUT of your Brake controller.

Good Luck.

That's it.  THe 

As I texted back, I do NOT think this is the correct plug. The one that Monaco used was ONLY 5 Wires. You also need to use a VOM.  Go back to the last link and look at the photos. That is what you are looking for. I suggest that you look inside the Driver's left console. If there is an access panel, pull it off.  Look at the front of it as you sort of put your hand behind the panel (where your Brake side is) and move it towards the back. You have to be on the floor....and reach around the vertical wall of the front of the console side panel. 

Also fee up and under the Dash right above where your foot is for the brakes. That is the ONLY three places it will be.

FWIW, Here are the pictures that you downloaded. I also went through you prints or the Scanned copy we have. Here is Print for it.  It would be about halfway back in your manual.  I can't tell from the pictures HOW many wire are in it. There will be ONLY 5, per the print. Your WIRES are Color coded...the later years are all white.  the next print, 38061113 show the connection to the 7 Pin,

IMG_2270.JPEG

IMG_2269.JPEG

2006 Exec Brake Controller Info 38060870.pdf

I think Monaco decided to use my coach to locate the elusive plug in a more challenging place to find. I have the under dash area opened up and can find only one unused end. It is a flat 4 with a 12 ga blue, 14 ga white, brown, and black wires. There's power to the yellow with the key on.  What is this connector for?

Forget where Monaco said it MIGHT be. The Assemblers played games. If you do NOT find it by opening the Dash Cover access hole and looking to the lower left with a good flashlight....then keep searching

You will have to "FEEL" up under the bottom of the lower dash (the part above your left knee.  KEEP FEELING....

Next...  Look to your left.  If and I say IF...you have a driver's console that sort of wraps around and you can see the lower vertical edge or side of the console, then, put your hand behind the vertical panel...yes, almost laying on your side....and feel back towards and under the console. Mine also had an access plate on the vertical section of the console.  Pull that off.  Then start to tug, GENTLY on wiring harnesses or feel for a terminal.

These plugs were part of a large harness and the Assemblers stuffed them anywhere.  I had a devil of a time.  Many OTHER Camelot owners just looked inside the dash.  BUT, if you have thoroughly searched the inside of the dash....start to expand your search....  You have ONE..   no doubt about it.  Don't focus on plugs that you don't know what is. 

If you go to the END of your prints, there are many pictures of plugs BUT....that is NOT your MISSION.   

I have the panel off of the driver side console along with the side panel in front of that along with the vent hose that attaches to it. I found a six hole plug with five wires, None of the pins have power to them, plus two of the wires end 8" away as a two wire connector to plug into something else. The unused hole is in a different spot that the pic I have of the one needed. I have had my head almost behind the dash. An unbelievable number of wires and connectors, but no brake connector. I'm going to walk away from it for a day or so and try again later. 

image.png.fc70980803a940457809280119b23a3b.png

image.png.3336dc674d4ce164e66009ce305798a9.png

I must be the luckiest guy on the planet. The hardest part of installing a brake controller was getting down on the floor and squeezing in between the driver seat and the steering column. At 6' 3" and 215 lbs coupled with a few hard years on the body, I have decided that I am not Gumby like anymore. The plug was hanging right there on the left side of the column waiting to be used. With the all the amazing help this site has and the willingness of many to provide pictures and advise, the whole job took 45 minutes and one cold beer start to finish. The two attached pictures shows all I needed to know. 

COPIED FROM AN OLD POST.  @Nevada Rob  HE HAS A 2008 DYNASTY

Yes, you have one. Take a break.  That is all we can do for you.  It is there....unless Monaco decided to make this MH totally different from the 2006's and on up. Note the color codes match as well....

Take a BREAK.  It took me 3 days and a lot of pulling on pigtails or harnesses, but I found mine.  MINE was NOT color coded....

I might have to try a tracer. I've never used one. Can I attach it to the brake pin of the connector at the hitch and read a signal at the dash?  I found three coax cables rolled up and stuffed behind the lower left side panel. They are labeled Driver side antenna, Middle antenna and passenger side antenna. On the roof there are three short antennae's, left center and right. The manual says they are cell phone antennas. What would all three cables hook to? They have the PL 259 connectors.  

Edited by Venturer

22 minutes ago, Venturer said:

I might have to try a tracer. I found three coax cables rolled up and stuffed behind the lower left side panel. They are labeled Driver side antenna, Middle antenna and passenger side antenna. On the roof there are three short antennae's, left center and right. The manual says they are cell phone antennas. What would all three cables hook to? They have the PL 259 connectors.  

To answer your question as well as Ivan's.  NOT a TRACER EXPERT.  BUT, you can NOT find any of the 4 wires up front to put the tracer on.  If you can't follow them on the prints or the harnesses...then that would be, to me, almost futile.

NOW, if you want to reverse trace, there is ONLY ONE WIRE. I printed it and it is attached.  You NEED to pin out EVERYTHING (as in the LT, RT, GRD, Marker. That leaves 3 wires. ONE is a 12 VDC, when the IGNITON is on.  So, we are DOWN to 2. I have NO idea what the other one is other than YELLOW.  Monaco does NOT give you that in the Manual.  Here is the only print with it. The CENTER WIRE (Yellow) may NOT have anything on it...  WHO KNOWS?

BUT the BLUE WIRE is plainly labeled. If you have or can use a tracer, then that is where you put your "Tone Generator" and then go up front and start looking. The YELLOW (center) wire is NOT used.  There is a Hopkins adapter so that you can use a 7 to 6 Umbilical. All the TERMINALS, save the Yellow and Blue are CRIMPED. But you can pull apart the Hopkins adapter and reverse the Yellow and Blue as that is where the Manufacturers were inconsistent.... BLUE is what you would trace.

I know this sounds trite...but it is THERE. WHERE exactly the assembler stuffed it? I don't know.  BUT, it is there....

You need to use a VOM when you find it. The other signals (HOT, Ignition HOT, Ground and Brake Signal) are NOT traceable. Only the UNTERMINATED BLUE wire in the rear. See the picture.  You have one of these and the wires are correctly color coded.

Just be careful and not decide to go crazy and "I'll just bypass it".  We have had folks spend months tracing the infamous "POSITIVE 12 VDC" line on the models prior to the "US GEAR TOW BRAKE" prewired connector.  SO, tracing or keep searching is more productive.

Good Luck.  Maybe Santa will bring you something to help your nerves....LOL  That is my personality. If I was NOT so positive, I would not be so adamant.  It is there....where? But, I don't think we have had but one "OPPS" and it was an early 2005 Diplomat that was the UH OH WE GOOFED connector...

All the 06's and up in all models have been found.  

7 Pin info and much more....pdf

24 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Since you have only one wire to use for tracing, put the other generator lead on ground. It should help you to find location of the bundle where the wire is and go from there to pinpoint. Easier if you had 2 wires but that's not the case here.

First, I have to find a signal generator. Have never used one, but guess I'll learn.

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Since you have only one wire to use for tracing, put the other generator lead on ground. It should help you to find location of the bundle where the wire is and go from there to pinpoint. Easier if you had 2 wires but that's not the case here.

The ground will be common up front.  There is not a “direct” lead to the rear….only one wire….the infamous BLUE or the wire that supplies the signal or the voltge.  Look at the prints.

SO. Hook it up.  It does have to traverse 40 odd feet…. Maybe last grasp…but way easier than running a separate line and then “hunting”  for that elusive POSITIVE brake signal.  Monaco uses Negative switching for the brake circuits and then when Monaco added the prewiring, they had to convert or get the POSITIVE signal….as the brake controllers use the “Brake Light” switched signal.