Aquahot expertise. Louisville Engineering.

Jetjockey

Some may be aware of Louisville engineering.  If not , consider them for electronics on aquahot. They had 30 aquahot in job trailers for fiber optic work. Over time they decided to reverse engineer the burner boxes and the circuit boards to maintain their own aquahot. I have learned a lot about aquahot while owning one. More than many service centers seem to know. Louisville engineering taught me more about aquahot electronics in a couple phone conversations than anyone else including aquahot service techs. They test the burner boxes and the circuit boards in heat cold and vibration cycles.  They will rebuild these components. I sent them two burner boxes that I thought had failed and learned both were fine. The circuit board had issues that may be temporarily solved by replaceing the burner box but only for a while. The service was very quick . Phone calls and follow up were excellent. Told me how the burner boxes and circuit board work and while many folks think the new digital burner boxes do not last, often is weak transistors and other components on the circuit board that cause a perceived burner box failure. William Borie is the man. They have staff there till midnight their time . Absolutely the best knowledge source I have come across . John Carillo is another and William speaks very highly of John. Louisville engineering@att.net.  502 553 8210. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Aquahot expertise. Louisville Engineering.

Suggest folks read this thread. Member Paul had a devil of a time getting his AH working.  There was either a “short” in the pump circuit or something was miswired.  He blew at least 4 boards.  Louisville made up a harness for the troublesome zone.  It had two isolation relays.  Thus the signal from the Dometic (it is a set of DRY comtacts) went to an isolation relay….which then closed and the “thermostat” contacts or signal was closed.  BUT, instead of 12 VDC going to the blower motors on the heat exchanger, those energized another relay and that relay provided power to the fans.

NOW….a LOT was going on.  The main PCB controller ALWAYS blew or arced in the same place or Copper “trace”.  Paul had bought several pumps on Ebay.  He swapped out one and that seemed to work…but whether the pump motor was pulling too much amps….we never were able to ascertain.

BUT Louisville did stick by him.  They did not seem to know “why” so they built a harness to bypass rather than troubleshoot…. But he also changed pumps and then also put on the new harness….that seemed to fix it. BTW…the pump is powered DIRECTLY from a circuit on the PCB…which was seemingly overloaded, several times, and burned up the power feed trace.  

Good to hear there is another source of Aqua Hot service as I have one in our coach and just had it repaired in Branson, MO. I plan of a full maintenance every year and pass thru Louisville at least twice a year.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Thank you SO much!

These Aqua-Hot units have been a thorn in my side since owning my 2002 Windsor back in 2003.

Mine has run like a Swiss watch, right up until the boiler tank sprung a leak!

Webasto and electronics still run flawless! (knocking on wood)!

I am the buyer of Dr4Film's (Richard) 2002 Windsor ..  The Aqua-Hot Model in the Windsor is model 431/12 which is identical to the 100-01 and 100-02. The original Aqua-Hot was a 100-01.. I seem to have spung a leak somewhere inside the box. No visible leaking when service hood is removed. There is a steady drip under the coach mid-ship below the Aqua Hot. Looks as though its coming through where the exhaust comes through. . I've had two separate techs here (New Jersey) to work on it ... It started out simple enough where I had to replace the control module .. I ended up ordering a new 4th generation box at a hefty price tag of $950.oo .. He put it in and it worked for a day then started doing the same thing as the one that was replaced was doing. It would spin up the motor but not ignite the burner.... I then purchased a rebuilt, 1st generation (silver metal box from the gentleman in Texas whose name escapes me) .. When the tech returned he pulled the new box and installed the rebuilt one. He also put in a new high limit switch .. Since the rebuilt box has been in it's been doing its job. He took the new one back and tested it, he also spoke to Aqua Hot (who would not take a return) and it was determined that nothing is wrong with the new box (it is now for sale btw). 

Now I'm dealing with the leak issue. I have to have the unit removed for a look see under the hood. Most likely its the cooper coil .. Unfortunately my current health does not allow me to any of this work myself. We have plenty of heat and we have enough hot water (although it runs out quickly) a separate issue. My immediate concerns are 1) I will need to get my unit either replaced or repaired. My wife and I are full timers currently mooch docking at my daughters house in New Jersey where we spent our summer. We were supposed to be in Fla now but an unforeseen health issue is keeping us here for a good part of the winter. So to have the unit pulled would leave us with no heat and no hot water for an undetermined amount of time .. I thought about heading to Fla in Feb after my treatments are done but that brings me to concern #2) The floor under the AH has been taking on this water for what looks like some time. It shows signs of deterioration.(see photos).. I'd be afraid that one good pothole and the unit would fall right out. SO ... here we are. The tech that is qualified to remove the unit is waiting for John C to get back to us. I'd either buy a refurb or find out the turn around time to send mine in for a rebuild. That would of course leave us without heat and hot water in the middle of a Northeastern winter.... There are ways around everything. We could get a extended stay room close by while we wait for the repair but now we're circling the 12k to 15k price tag .. We do not want to sell. Aside from the AH issue this coach is amazing. Richard took very good care of her and she's had some nice upgrades, and she runs and rides like a Caddy. 

Sorry, I guess I'm just venting but maybe I can get a few suggestions that I can add to my list of options..  

386845903_732098278388792_4854366314940144113_n.jpg

409719853_10231749583100386_3589249978255511186_n.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jetjockey said:

Also I have seen suggestions of adding a leak sealer to the system

I think someone recently on the site used this product to seal a leak in there Aquahot system. If yours is just dripping it might be worth a try. I tried to find it but couldn’t. I think they said it fixed it pretty quick and it’s been a while and no leak since.

https://www.amazon.com/Irontite-All-Weather-Seal-Blue/dp/B002BIZJMS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2D94NTG6PCQ5J&keywords=Ironite+sealer&qid=1702904462&sprefix=ironite+sealer%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-2

Irontite is my "goto" product to stop any coolant leak. I purchased two bottles to use in the boiler tank of the Aqua-Hot in my Dynasty this winter as it came with a pin-hole leak in the filler neck that the ""certified" inspector overlooked.

Lenny's leak is most likely in the fresh water coil loop which is around the outside of the boiler tank. There aren't any other connections located inside the main body of the Aqua-Hot.

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Lenny's leak is most likely in the fresh water coil loop which is around the outside of the boiler tank. There aren't any other connections located inside the main body of the Aqua-Hot.

That's my thoughts.

When my boiler tank sprung a leak, 'ALL' boiler fluid came out the exhaust exit hole. There were no signs of a leak outside of the cabinet.

4 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

I think someone recently on the site used this product to seal a leak in there Aquahot system. If yours is just dripping it might be worth a try. I tried to find it but couldn’t. I think they said it fixed it pretty quick and it’s been a while and no leak since.

https://www.amazon.com/Irontite-All-Weather-Seal-Blue/dp/B002BIZJMS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2D94NTG6PCQ5J&keywords=Ironite+sealer&qid=1702904462&sprefix=ironite+sealer%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-2

I sealed my leaking boiler tank with a bottle of Irontite, but, there was several places I checked for a leak before going down that road! 

Fresh water leak on an older unit where the coil wraps the outside of the tank..... Turn on the water pump with all faucets closed. Listen for the pump cycling occasionally.

Edited by 96 EVO

From the pics it looks to me as a water leak, not antifreeze leak and in that case no amount of ironite will fix it. The external fresh water loop can be replaced or repaired but to pay someone to do it will not be cheap. Could also be just a fitting or solder leak at the loop connections, if lucky.