Tiffin (gasp!)

Hi all, we've had our Diplomat since 2018 and have been pleased overall with it.  I know this group is  a Monaco group and may be biased but I figure there's a ton of knowledge here to ask.  

We may have a deal on a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40qdp we cannot turn down.  It is a 1 owner w records.  I plan to get an inspection first but am looking for general info and have put out a question on a Tiffin FB page. 

4 slides, 425hp Cummins w Alison 3000, Freightliner chassis, 2 heat pumps, 2 furnaces, lifetime roof, res fridge, nothing major w it.  I've read about the big 3 (roof radius cracks, wet bay floor rot and DS side floor rot) and that's about it.  There was a leak over the entry door that's been fixed. I will need all new tires and have all the fluids changed, etc...  has been sitting about 3 to 4 months and not camped in in a couple years.  I plan to test all systems myself to start.  It'll need new chassis batteries. It's a beautiful coach and as my wife said, we'd be dumb not to get it at this price.  Just looking for general info and help and things to look for.   Thank you!

Steven P

20240227_153727.jpg

• Like 1

I don't quite understand the statement above, "has been sitting about 3 to 4 months and not camped in in a couple years."

What has it been doing between a couple of years ago when it was last camped in and 3-4 months ago?

I would rely more on the Tiffin group for advice as they are the experts versus Monaco owners.

Edited by Dr4Film

@Dr4Film it's in a local rv park hooked up sitting.   Owners have driven it locally to stretch the legs but not stayed in it in about 2 to 3 years due to health issues. 

I think the only thing that gives me pause is the 425 hp engine...  I think that is the DEF engine which is a no go for me.  2008 was still kind of the figuring out period for that emissions system. 

We had a Tiffin and the build quality was good.  First year IFS was introduced.  Ours was 2005 model.

Any coach that has sat will need a thorough inspection, as you said.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I think the only thing that gives me pause is the 425 hp engine...  I think that is the DEF engine which is a no go for me.  2008 was still kind of the figuring out period for that emissions system. 

No DEF in this one.  It may have the regen cycle though.  I'll learn more today. 

I know that prior to Thor buying Tiffin the coaches were highly regarded for quality. 

You peaked my interest so I did a couple searches and the major issue I found was regarding the roof but really don't see a lot of posts on it.  Not sure what the chances of this coach having a problem and/or how to easily fix. 

So no harm in looking and kicking the tires, especially if it is in good shape and a good buy.

That's how I bought my Monaco back in 2008, actually saw it listed on Ebay and thought there was no way the price right based on the posted pictures.  It was listed in Florida and we happen to headed that way as I was driving my parents there from Wisconsin.  So we took the time to drive a couple hundred miles out of the way to go look at.  When we saw the coach me and my wife's jaws dropped, it looked great inside and out, I could not find one thing wrong with it.  Mine came with no maintenance records, was a repo, but an excellent buy.  One of the best decisions I made in. 

So as the saying goes "No Guts, No Glory" !!!

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

Steven,

Word on the street is read internet articles by this guy… Mark Quasius.  He’s supposed to be the Tiffin guru. The only added issue I found besides yours was a 2008 issue with the windshield popping out du to chassis flex (the article didn’t state if it was the power glide or Freightliner chassis though).

Again, ask the pre ious owners about that.  Other than that, it looks like a solid coach from choice.

Good luck!

• Like 1

When we were looking for a coach in 2008 we visited a number of mfrs. Narrowed it to Monaco or Tiffin. We visited the Tiffin facility. At that time Tiffin had a free CG and a huge service facility. The workmanship was sloppy. But you could bring it to Tiffin and they fixed everything. Many of the workers worked privately after hours doing upgrades. Very inexpensive. We left and went to Lazydays in Florida. They brought a Dynasty and a Tiffin to their CG and parked them side by side. Left me for 2 hours. Then we did a test drive in both units. The Dynasty won hands down. We ended up buying one I'm Georgia

Tiffin had a cult like following.  That changed but the quality has dropped in recent years. My  2 cents worth.

• Like 1