Removing shepherd steering box

I am trying to remove the 3 bolts that hold the steering box (1 5/16 bolts).   My generator doesn’t slide out so I can’t get a breaker bar on the nut side of the upper 2 bolts (I already got the lower bolt loose w/ breaker bar on the nut) and I’ve pulled with everything I have to break them loose from the bolt side and I can’t get them loose.  I need some help from someone who has done this before.   Thank you for any help, suggestions you can offer

Box end or a big pipe wrench. 

Don't tell anyone about using a floor jack and 4x4 to provide a little persuasion to the wrench. Not safe at all, no no no. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use a cheater pipe on a breaker bar on the side you can reach, wear heavy gloves and a jacket to reduce the skinned knuckles. 

• Like 1

Your 02 Diplomat is pretty much identical to our 03 Endeavor.

I just went through this and couldn't get them to budge either.  Sadly, my 40" breaker bar is a "flex" model so I only had so much movement before it flexed to an obstruction.  Even with another 36" pipe extension it was no good.  I did find a path through the front hatch to the top nuts, but still no joy (muscle deficiency, obstruction).  This included the purchase of a 3:1 torque multiplier and still couldn't budge it.  And the purchase of a 1200W induction heater.  The bottom nut got hot enough to smoke but not red hot.  Shoulda bought the 1800W model? 

I ended up writing a check.  Just got it back yesterday. 🙂

- bob

• Disagree 1

Can you get a breaker bar in the right position to get a floor jack under it.  If that doesn't break it loose you'll have to get some heat.

Last year I was helping my brother repair a Jet ski, the owner had run it across the top of a sand/rock bar and sucked rocks into the impeller.  Had to replace the impeller and the housing it mated to, but we couldn't break the nut loose that held the impeller on.  He brought out a small torch set and was able to heat the nut red hot and I was able to use a long pipe and wrench to finally break it loose but took all the force I could muster. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 3:01 PM, MyronTruex said:

Box end or a big pipe wrench. 

Don't tell anyone about using a floor jack and 4x4 to provide a little persuasion to the wrench. Not safe at all, no no no. 

I tried this on one of the bolts- it didn’t seem to move it, but when I tried again with wrench and another wrench for leverage I got it loose so I think it did move it just enough.  Thanks

On 3/13/2024 at 1:17 PM, vito.a said:

Can you slide a box end wrench up in between to the  upper two nuts?  If so use a pipe over it.  

On the bolt closest to the front I was able to open generator door and get a wrench on it with room for a pipe over it and got it loose.  Thanks!!

Robb, I keep a couple different size pipes to slide over my wrenches for extra torque. Really an accident about to happen when used on a large bolt but one does what one needs to do.

Edited by MyronTruex
  • Like 1