Valid Air Leveling Pressure

The Valid Air system seemed to be working fine in manual and automatic mode.  On occasion it would re-level and I could hear the air compressor run for a while and then stop.  In recent days this seems to have become more frequent; so "chase down air leaks" went on the project list.

Today however, something wierd happened; nearing what I thought was the end of it's cycle a "Pop-Off" sound was heard, and then the pump continued.  This happened repeatedly so I shut the system off.  Later testing it I doscovered it would "pop" a few times and then "settle down" and shut off. (The pop sounded a little like the air dryer system going off, but I knew it had to be different.)

Reading the Valid "Installation/Service Manual" ; thinking of possibilities (see screen shot from page 26 below):

1.  The "pressure relief valve" on the air tank is defective and going off too soon... sometimes.

2.  The "pressure switch" on one of the six packs (?not sure which one?) is defective and (sometimes) not shutting off when it should.

Not sure of what else it could be.  From the pump sound it seems the compressor is mounted above/behind the steer axle.   Pressure valve sounds like it's somewhere above drive axle.  Not clear from diagram which 6-pack has the pressure switch... or do both?  Not sure which side or center would be best place to look.  

Crawling under is the least fun thing for me [🙂] so it would be good to know in advance which part is likely to need replacement and where to crawl.   Internet search today didn't turn up either part; I will call PowerGear next week.

Have a great Easter everyone.

image.thumb.png.5f7a24a07723f615123d3e7eb1a12c12.png

As memory serves, and based on my 2008 Camelot using the valid air leveling system, there is an aux compressor and ping tank( a ~ 1-2 gallon air tank used to level when the coach is parked and the engine is not running) located on the passenger side of the front axel. It has both a pressure switch (To regulate the running.of the aux  12v air compressor) and a pressure relief valve located on the ping tank for safety reasons. The aux pump shouldn't run for long, maybe 1-2 minutes max. My aux compressor was bad when I bought the rig, but my replacement runs about 40 secs per fill, but I upgraded to a slightly higher.volume compressor.

There is also a drain valve to allow you to drain water from the ping tank on the bottom of the ping tank ( I believe the maint.schedule says to drain the water monthly. 

If water has accumulated in the tank, it is likely that the pressure relief valve (prv) has corroded, or rust from the ping tank has degraded the prv.

Pressure relief.valves and pressure switches are readily available from Napa or Amazon. Usually the pressure switch (again as my memory serves) cuts on around 85-90 psi and cuts off around your normal cutoff pressure  ( the dash air pressure when your air dryer cycles) mine is 115-120.psi.

The PRV  actuation pressure is usually higher than the.pump cutoff pressure, I believe it is usually ~140 psi. It should be lower than the safe pressure of all the components in the system. 

. I would agree that.your.PRV is compromised and should be replaced. Maybe your pressure switch also.

Drain the ping tank of air.( the small tank by the front of the rv before any work.

When I open my generator slide, I can look in from the passenger side and see.the aux compressor and maybe the pung tank. The ping.tank.on.my 28 Camelot can be reached from the front without getting under the rv. I can reach it by laying on the ground and reaching in.

On my rv when I rain the ping tank, the pressure drops quickly and then hisses as the main air system drains.down. I use this as the way to depressurize the system before repairs. My rv (with leaks fixed).does not.lower when the air pressure goes to 0. There are one way valves in the system to prevent the air bags from deflating on pressure loss( but they may lower over hours/days based on air leaks on your system. Be cautious and test it before you crawl underneath. On my rv the replacement of the PRV could be done with just an arm under the rig. For the ping.tank work on an rig of unknown air integrity, I would lower the rig down as low as it will go (try to lower it evenly, you don't want to twist the frame by letting the left or right side get too much lower than the other, it can damage your windshield!)

Hopes this helps.

Your aux air compressor is located between the rear bulkhead and the drive axle on the passenger side way up almost to the floor. 

My system DOES NOT have a pressure switch on the valve packs. It's either screwed into the ping tank (driverside opposite compressor) or in the line running to the ping tank.

Monaco didn't put any water seperation method in this aux system so switches, etc fail pretty quick.

Sounds like your switch is bad causing the compressor to run until it pops the relief. Quick fix is a new 90-120 switch but the best fix is to install an auto drain water seperator on the compressor outlet before anything else in the system.  Might want to at a minimum drain your ping tank, or drop and clean it out. You'll be disappointed what the inside looks like.

Hope this helps.

I installed a pressure gauge on my ping tank so I could monitor the compressor, switch, and tank operation.  Knowing the pressure of the tank will help you trouble shoot the issue.  As mentioned above, it is important to drain this tank at least monthly, or more often if it is coming on frequently.

Aux Compressor Tank.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill R said:

I installed a pressure gauge on my ping tank so I could monitor the compressor, switch, and tank operation.  Knowing the pressure of the tank will help you trouble shoot the issue.  As mentioned above, it is important to drain this tank at least monthly, or more often if it is coming on frequently.

Aux Compressor Tank.jpg

An '06 with Valid air leveling?  I thought Monaco used HWH up thru '06, then started with Valid in '07.

5 hours ago, rpasetto said:

An '06 with Valid air leveling?  I thought Monaco used HWH up thru '06, then started with Valid in '07.

My 06 windsor also has the Valid system.   It's the only year monaco put it on the Windsor.   It's been flawless.

Edited by windsorbill06

Many pressure switches for the Auxiliary air compressor used in conjunction with the leveling system while parked, are mounted in such a manner that water, moisture, run into the switch because there is NO loop in the wiring going to the switch. Those 90-120 PSI switches are readily available at most 4X4 off road accessory shops at a very competitive price point.  I always try to support the local businesses, so they are there when you need support. 

Found the switch On some sort of a manifold coming from the Aux Air Pump...  Its on this fitting (manifold?) mounted toward driver side behind the front axle.  The Ping tank is probably nearby, somewhere above.  Guessing it's on a 1/4" NPT male fitting; I'll pick one up... hopefully I will only need to crawl undernesath once (if I guess the thread size right 😉

I notice the pump is a PacBreke product... wondering if its OEM or if a PO replaced the original.

image.thumb.jpeg.99129a42fe60a6ca5f9d7fa07a4e448e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fb9e1b8b00f3c785c953dfdc2cf385bc.jpeg

Not OEM as my pressure switch is on an airline outside the frame rail behind the driver’s front tire. I also went back with a different $100 compressor that I move to besides the generator.

IMG_5949.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What would you all recommend for a replacement pump for my coach? My OEM one failed and am looking for something I can mount on the existing plate above the front axle on my 08 Navigator. A relatively quiet unit would be nice.

OK….FWIW…there are TWO Topics, in my ooinion that are getting similar posts….did not do a deep dive and see if the same posters or others were the same.

There is an ongoing theme.  I’m adding that tooic to this post.  The other topic has some good info on the existing Valid compressor.  The Dynasty in 2007, had issues….and is a totally differnt system than the 2008….and if the 2007 system is NOT maintained…it will allow water (not just vapor) to collect and get imto the rear braking system.  I posted that scenario a few years back.  

So, too keep folks properly informed….it is suggested that those intersted or commenting read or scroll the other thread…..more good information makes for more imtelligent recommendations….not going to merge or combine….but just give a heads up….

NOW….AS A BOGO….There have been several other topics where the Aux Compressor is discussed….be aware, the 2007 Dynasty has a totally different compressor.  The 07, memory, does NOT have a drain valve….here is the search results…..

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Valid dynasty water&quick=1&type=forums_topic

Click and there is a wealth of past posts and information…..technically, we request that such searches be completed prior to a new topic….

On 3/31/2024 at 12:47 PM, rpasetto said:

My 06 Windsor has the Valid air leveling as well.