Missing latching controller

Swheeler

I have. 2004 Monaco Diplomat. When I purchased it the water pump didn’t come on. I didn’t worry about it since the fresh tank was empty. I found that the wire harness was unplugged. I plugged it in and put water in the tank, still no pump. After a ton of research including this site, I went looking for the latching controller. Not only can I not find said controller, my wiring doesn’t look like what I’ve seen in other pictures and I’m starting to think that someone was trying to “fix” an issue by removing the controller. Here are some pictures of my wiring. I have so many questions. I have two red and two black wires. From other pictures I’ve seen I expect red black purple and white. One of the red and black wires are thicker than the other. It looks like the jumped the two rods and two blacks together. The jumper wires are noticeably newer than the original wires. If I’m right and they removed the controller, I should be able to put a new one in but again, the wire colors make me uncertain. I have power at both of the red wires in that plug. I also have power at the butt connector on the red wire between the plug and the pump. If the controller was removed and the ground has been jumped then I would think the pump would run constantly unless there is a bad ground in the plug. What are your thoughts?

If anyone has the same coach and could share a picture of this connection, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

Edited by Swheeler
Forgot some details

In your research on this site, did you happen to run across the wiring diagram which includes the water pump controller?

If, not then I would look for it in the files section and download it to review the wiring schematic.

It looks like you nailed it. They just paralleled the incoming power to the input of the pump. Just plugging the pump in to activate it. The pump has a built in pressure switch so would turn itself off, unless the water runs dry, then the pump will run constantly. 

I'm attaching a couple of files in case they are helpful.

2000 Diplomat Water pump and levels.pdf Water Pump Relay.pdf

Bottom line….you have a “mess”.  Here is how it was, originally, generically wired.  @Scotty Hutto has an 06 Diplomat.  

Do YOU have prints on your 04?  We don’t…

The controller, which you HAD….as in it is called out and has a picture in your manual, works like this.

Each pump switch will turn ON or OFF the pump.  The switches are momentary contact.  See the screen shot. These switches are in parallel and each time you push the spring loaded pump switch, it toggles between ON and OFF….

BIG NOTE….The controller is a GROUND Switched unit.   is “center off”.  There is a Ground run to the center of each switch….so it is a NEGATIVE switched circuit. Then the signal from each switch, which can be an infinite number….as they are in PARALLEL. Cycles or toggles the controller on or off.  You need to find the wires from the switches.  There is also a PILOT light or indicator on each panel.  When the pump circuit is ON….then there is power to the pump….but the pressure switch, external or internal, contols when the pump starts.  But the POWER from the controller to the pump also illuminates the indicator lights.

That’s how it works,  If it were me…I could probably use a remote wire, run from each switch and a VOM and find the wires.  The SIMPLE way NOW. Purchase a TONER. You attach that to each switch OUTPUT line….then you have a probe and you start testing or sniffing and you find the wires.  You need to find the POWER is on signal to each pilot light and the OUT signal from each switch….then the incoming power and rewire and restore…

That’s it….

IMG_1188.png

Scott,

Your wiring looks similar to my 07 Diplomat. My pump is on the left wall of the wet bay and the latching controller was jammed in behind doubled up wire bundles about 6-8” behind the panel on the upper right of the bay, on top of the black tank. 
I could not see it through the small cover panel on the upper right of the wet bay panel. If you have not already looked there, you might check that location. 
Roy

I kept thinking that even if a previous owner had created a mess in there with some sort of bypass that the wire colors just weren't right. I did some more testing. The red wires have power. So I hooked my test light to a powered wire and then probed the black wires, no light. So then I knew that those black wires were not grounded which led me to believe that the latching controller is in there somewhere. So I started looking even in places I had looked before. I'm embarrassed to say that I found the silly thing in a place that I previously glossed over. It's on the right side of the of the "other" wet bay. The one where the grey and black drains are. I had looked behind the panel from the removed panel in the wet bay as well as with a scope. The controller was much lower, just blocked from view by the bottom of the panel and behind my stinky slinky.

Thanks everyone for you help. The diagrams you provided along with the explanations of how it works helped me to figure this out. 

A few pictures might help someone in the future. 

Glad you found it.

Posted (edited)

I expected the latching controller to be located behind the white panel in the first picture. Instead, it was behind the white panel in the second picture. You can see where I mounted the new one is a little lower. The original was installed before the tank was and therefore, I couldn't get to the top screw.

image.jpeg

IMG_0364.jpg

Edited by Swheeler