Black tank flusher

Emptied tanks this morning and turned flusher on.  I could not hear it flushing, always have been able to before.  Went inside to toilet and open the valve and could only hear a trickle of water.  Worked fine a week ago.

Anyone have similar issue?

Thankyou

2004 Dynasty

Posted (edited)

The sprayer has very small holes and gets plugged up.  On our coach there is an extra basement door just aft of the regular doors on the passenger side that opens with some release levers underneath. 

This gives you access to the sprayer.  There are 3 screws holding it on.  Make sure the black tank is empty,  remove the sprayer and use a fine wire or drill bit to open up the holes.  Use some silicone sealant and reinstall the sprayer.  

Good luck!

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 4

Oh, yes ! If you can access the flusher and tank, then remove it, and make sure it is unclogged. While it is disconnected, check the water flow.

You have a vacuum breaker, usually under the bathroom sink depending on the model of the coach, that may be bad. Easy to remove and test or just replace.

Our flusher is blocked but getting to it means serious surgery, so we just have to deal with the toilet challenge in a different way. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, vito.a said:

The sprayer has very small holes and gets plugged up.  On our coach there is an extra basement door just aft of the regular doors on the passenger side that opens with some release levers underneath. 

This gives you access to the sprayer.  There are 3 screws holding it on.  Make sure the black tank is empty,  remove the sprayer and use a fine wire or drill bit to open up the holes.  Use some silicone sealant and reinstall the sprayer.  

Good luck!

This is why I always use a cheap water filter on the faucet when I flush the tank. 

Edited by timaz996
  • Like 1

did what you said and SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is now soaking in a bag of vinegar till morning, I did use a dental pick to clean out the holes

thankyou

• Like 1

To keep my black tank clean, I flush it with they gray water using one of these valves  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  for $20 from Amazon.    It has male & female bayonette mounts so it fits inline with my dump hose.  To help it fit, I have a clear 45 at the end of my dump tube.

To dump, with the dump hose on the end of the Valterra valve... the Valterra stays open, and the black is dumped as normal.  Then close the Valterra, leave the black tank open, and open the grey valve.  The grey water has nowhere to go except back up into the black tank.  I let the grey water go for about a minute, then close the grey valve.  Then open the Valterra and the recycled grey water flows out of the black tank.  Amazing how much "stuff" is visible through the clear 45.   Then close the black valve and dump the remainder of the grey as usual.

35 minutes ago, Kimber said:

did what you said and SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is now soaking in a bag of vinegar till morning, I did use a dental pick to clean out the holes

thankyou

May want to avoid using that tool on your teeth now 🤣!!

• Haha 2

Great you can clean it.  Calcium or hard water deposits are bad.

BUT….EXPERIENCE HERE.  A hose that was out coiled up for a while over the winter had a MESS of bugs and eggs and larvae in it.  BINGO….instant clog.

BUT, here is how I had plumbed mine and escaped having to pull out the backflush unit…as mine is way out of sight and reach.  A full day job to get off a panel.

I use a short 3 ft hose extension….male on one end….female on the other.  I have a 1/4 turn garden hose shutoff valve.  I attached the hose to the flush fitting….and used a washing machine mesh washer.  Then I put the quarter turn valve on the other end.  But, belt and suspenders…also used a washing machine filter washer.

SO…I want to backflush.  Bring the hose to the MH. Hook up to the 1/4 turn valve.  Turn OFF valve.  Walk and turn on hose at faucet.

NOW I can turn ON and OFF the backflush at the MH ….as needed.

I also ordered a FEMALE Garden Hose plastic plug with a “tab” on the end….there is a hole in the tab.  I zip tied the plug so it is hanging.  AFTER I backflush and remove the hose….I screw in the plug

I have the same plug on the fresh hose to keep critters out….

• Like 1