generator cuts off

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

Have you tried to recover any codes.   The procedure for my 7.5KW is to hit the stop button 3 times withing 5 seconds.  It with then start a blink code sequence.  Could have a 1, 2, 3 blink.  Then hit the stop button again and it will give a two part blink code. 

Check your manual for the codes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Look in your manual for specific instructions for your generator.

But the codes will be displayed by blink codes on the start button, the same light that comes on when generator is running. 

For me I hit the stop (lower portion of start button) 3 times within 5 seconds.  It will give you a first level code  1, 2, or 3.   Then hit the stop button again and it will give you a two digit code. 

My wife is fighting a NO Start situation no and the code I got was a 3 blink code, which is a general fault, and then a  3-6 , there is a pause between the 3 & 6,   This is general code but points to fuel delivery.  

She is currently at a Cummins shop and tentatively diagnosed it as a fuel pump and are changing it as we speak.

In your case if it runs for a short while could be anything from fuel filters to bad temp sensor shutting it down because it thinks it's hot.  Have you ever changed the fan belt, I think it recommends ~1000 hours.

@Ivan K

Ivan has a similar coach/generator, maybe he can help.

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

Assuming 12.5kw genny, best to slide it out a bit and use the built in switch. It even has a little sticker beside it with explanation for codes 1, 2 or 3 - overheat, low oil or service required. If 3 blinks, hit Stop momentarily and count again for secondary code.

• Like 1

how do you get around to that on the menu.  i have a screen that keeps coming up that says 0.2 hours to run.  i cannot change it or delete it.

34 minutes ago, Ingram Ranch said:

how do you get around to that on the menu.  i have a screen that keeps coming up that says 0.2 hours to run.  i cannot change it or delete it.

might want to call Onan Tech Support and get them on the phone.  Let them walk you through it.  Magnum does this all the time on their inverters and the Onan Tech Support, last time....a few years ago, was great...  Let us know...

• Like 1

• Solution
1 hour ago, Ingram Ranch said:

You did not say if you have any blink codes. If you do, it is an Onan issue. To look at the AGS settings, press and hold UP and DOWN arrows until a beep. Scroll down to Generator Stop. If set to anything other than Manual, change it with Righ arrow. This will disable automatic stop. 

IMG_20240530_140258097_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electrical/RC7_owners.pdf

Do you have this?

@Frank McElroy

Is this in the files?  Maybe used wrong search.  This is the older RC7 remote

Thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does it surge before shut down?  Mine did and I replaced the actuator, which fixed the problem. 
image.png.e24200b8b032b07e9c436e5591dce9f4.png

Edited by Pduggs
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

That file was uploaded 4 years ago.

Thanks,

I used the wrong search....need to use the FILES approach....and then look.  LOL...

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had it working, but    .   it is full of coolant and the oil is good.   is there a thermostat that could be sticking on the radiator.  I am getting a single blink on the start switch.

5 minutes ago, Ingram Ranch said:

I thought I had it working, but    .   it is full of coolant and the oil is good.   is there a thermostat that could be sticking on the radiator.  I am getting a single blink on the start switch.

First….the Genny has a trouble shooting guide.  I do NOT think this has been posted, nor you have gone through it

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electrical/Generator/Onan 5500/Onan Troubleshooting Codes.pdf

This is just a copy or generic.  All are about the same. Get the Genny PN and then put that in Google and add ONAN Owners Manual.  Down load it.

Just “Gee…I wonder about FILL IN BLANK” as in maybe a stuck thermostat…..will lead to frustration. No one here can help you without information.

Also as a “followup”, or maybe I missed it…what specifically did you “do” with all the information on your inverter and remote? Have you eliminated the inverter/AGS?

IF SO, then read or watch a YouTube video. There are several that show, in simple and discrete steps, HOW TO RETRIEVE codes.

Start there…get CODES…. Blinking is the “method”.  Just “blinking” doesn’t tell a member anything.

Thanks….