Replacement of A/c

Ron P.  2004 Monaco Executive 

I am looking to replace my ducted 13,500 BTU air conditioning units (2) with 15000 BTU units.    

Has anyone replace their units?  If so, what type brand etc.  Wall remote or handheld remote?

I have replaced both of mine, one in 2019 and the other 2022. I went with the stock 13,500 units without heat pumps. ( I full time and don't stay in parks) If I did it today I would go with one of the new inverter type compressor A/Cs. (They are like a mini split and 12v.) Do some research. You can run them off of your inverter going do the road without the generator.

Edited by timaz996

What length is your Executive?  I ask because the 40' coaches have two, while the 42' and longer have three A/C units.  

The easy route is two new 15,000BTU Dometic Penguin II A/C or heat pump units and a new 10 button CC2 thermostat.  

The new A/C units are not compatible with your original 5 button comfort control thermostat.  

If you have a three A/C coach, the new units will need to be installed in the center and rear positions along with the new thermostat.  You cannot mix the new units with an older thermostat.  

I found good pricing on new Dometic A/C units on Amazon.  

Edited by vito.a

In 2021 I replaced both the 13.5 Duotherm AC/HP with the 15K low profile penguin. 

Like Vito said you will have to replace the 5 button thermostat but instead of the 10CCC I went with the MicroAir. 

Prior to installing the two AC's I did a duct inspection and found several mouse holes but also found one duct joint that was not sealed.  Fixed all those and in temps in the high 80's I can get by with running one AC

My wife travels with dogs and the MicroAir has the ability to send alerts if temps exceed a set point.  I received 2 alerts ~1 hr ago and could get hold of my wife so I turned on the front AC while sitting in my recliner in TN👍

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My focus would be on reliability and low fan noise . . . .

The MicroAir doesn't have a built-in thermostat with many AC's having the thermostat near the return air.  Still, it would still be my #1 choice from what I've read.  Neat stuff.  I'd consider outboarding the thermostat to a wall or central space.  AZ Expert (YouTube) has some videos on the (Furion?) and MicroAir.  Good stuff.

Just thoughts.  I still have 2 original 22 year old units that don't get used all that much.  Most of my buddies would rather sit outside.  That and I'm pretty cheap to crank up the generator (plus it's noisy). 

- bob

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cbr046 said:

My focus would be on reliability and low fan noise . . . .

The MicroAir doesn't have a built-in thermostat with many AC's having the thermostat near the return air.  Still, it would still be my #1 choice from what I've read.  Neat stuff.  I'd consider outboarding the thermostat to a wall or central space.  AZ Expert (YouTube) has some videos on the (Furion?) and MicroAir.  Good stuff.

Just thoughts.  I still have 2 original 22 year old units that don't get used all that much.  Most of my buddies would rather sit outside.  That and I'm pretty cheap to crank up the generator (plus it's noisy). 

- bob

According to the Microair site…they have two direct replacements for Dometic.  One is the  older 5 button (CCC MPX) and the other is the newer 10 button (CCC2 MPX).

Each ONE has to have a temp sensor that will work for the first zone.  OK….now….there is one exception…if you want to get technical….some of the late 2000’s Patriots had a REMOTE sensor located up front.  But, to the best of my knowledge all the Monaco and HR never had a remote for the front.  When either the CCC or CCC2 “boots” or does the hand shake (reboot), if there is a REMOTE sensor plugged into the front unit, zone 1, then that tells the thermostat to USE IT…and not the built in one.

SO, if one wants remote temp sensing, like some rigs, with zone 2 (middle) or zone 3 (rear), you have to run a hard wired Dometic remote sensor to whatever location is going to be the best control point.

YES…placement of a thermostat on an outside wall is not good practice.  If one wanted to move the center or the “main” thermostat to another location, then all you need to do is run a properly terminated DATA Communication Cable (male on both ends).  Attach it with a dual inline connector to the existing “thermostat” line…then snake it wherever you want….plug it in.  Do the reboot….bingo wherever that thermostat is….the internal thermocouple will be the controller.

The MicroAir I installed has an internal sensor, it is mounted on the wall cabinet next to the bed.  The front AC does have a remote sensor mounted above the passenger seat on the bottom of the overhead cabinet.  In both cases the  temp control seems to be pretty good.  

Our coach is parked up in mid Michigan, temps today got to 85F and the coach is being kept cool running one AC is keeping the coach at 68F, can't keep it too cool for the dogs!!!!

Not sure but the coach must be pretty much parked in the sun because the outside temps mid day based on the MicroAir were +90F

Edited by jacwjames

2 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

The MicroAir I installed has an internal sensor, it is mounted on the wall cabinet next to the bed.  The front AC does have a remote sensor mounted above the passenger seat on the bottom of the overhead cabinet.  In both cases the  temp control seems to be pretty good.  

Our coach is parked up in mid Michigan, temps today got to 85F and the coach is being kept cool running one AC is keeping the coach at 68F, can't keep it too cool for the dogs!!!!

Wow….learn something new every day.  The later models never had a front remote, which is hard wired to the control module…. But EVERY Microair or Dometic has to have a thermocouple or sensor….thus, most would be like the bulk of new models.  If there is no remote sensor hard wired into a zone, the internal one takes over. 

YES, WE have had enterprising members who disconnected the remote sensor for the bedroom.  Bingo, the front thermostat became the controller….and you can guess the rest and the complaint…LOL!

The MicroAir also has a calibration feature where you can adjust up/down the range.  In the bedroom where the ceiling vents were blowing toward the mounted thermostat I had to play with it so it would cool better. 

Since I had to have a new thermostat with two new AC's I paid about $100 more vs buying a 10CCC unit.  Well worth the money.

• Like 1