ENGINE SHUTTING DOWN

I HAVE A CUMMINS 8.9 400 HP DIESEL ENGINE.   IT JUST SHUTS DOWN AT 55 MPH, DEAD SILENCE AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. IT RESTARTED WITH NO DELAY LIKE  NORMAL.  IT DID THIS 4 TIMES IN AN HOUR, ALWAYS UNDER A SMALL UPHILL PULL. THE ONLY THING I NOTICED WAS THAT THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE  WENT TO 190 FROM 185. WE RAN FOR ANOTHER 5 HOURS WITH NO SHUT DOWN. WE WENT TO A FREIGHT LINER DEALER , THEY  DID A 2-HOUR DIAGNOSTIC. NOTHING FOUND. THEY UPGRADED THE COMPUTER SYSTEM ONLY. THE NEXT DAY WE LEFT THE RV PARK AND IT DID IT AGAIN AT 10 MPH. WE WENT BACK TO FREIGHT LINER BUT THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING. WE LEFT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ON I-5 TO EUGENE, OREGON, IT RAN GREAT ALL THE WAY FOR 6 HOURS. WE STOPPED IN EUGENE AT THE CUMMINS DEALER TO GET A SECOND OPINION. THEY DID A ANOTHER DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND THEY FOUND "FAULT CODE 2387" - "INACTIVE" WHICH HAPPENED TWICE. THEY CLEARED THE CODES AND THEY SAID THAT IT WOULD NOT SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN. AT HOME AFTER A 6-HOUR RUN THE CODES DID NOT REAPPEAR.  i DID A SMALL TEST OF MY OWN AND JUST TURNED THE KEY OFF AT 15 MPH AND IT ACTED THE SAME AS MY PROBLEM. ????????? I AM AT A TOLTAL LOSS.  

I NEED HELP, PLEASE.  HAS ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE? I'M LOOKING FOR SOME INFO OR GUIDANCE.  

(APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS.  I DON'T KNOW HOW I GOT THEM.  NOT USED TO TYPING.)

The ignition switch is easy enough to replace. I recently changed one on my friends RV and then based on the issues with his, I changed mine. 

The temp rising, if not on an incline, could possibly be to lean fuel??? Asking because I do not know.

In any case, I would be changing the fuel filters for sure. 

Edited by MyronTruex
  • Like 1

I just got back from a trip from Kansas City to California. Kansas City to Bakersfield I had no issues .  I refueled in Bakersfield within 50 miles of Bakersfield going upgrade. My coach started knocking on uphill grades. It wouldn’t function on cruise control anytime I was going uphill. I checked my air filter. I changed my fuel filters and I was 3 quarts low on my transmission fluid. it still did it every time I went upgrade.  I filled up in Reno on my way back home Within 50 miles of Reno it started running with no issues. And I had no issue the next 1600 miles. 
I assumed it was just the bio Diesel that I was filling up with in California . Mine never stalled out, but it came close several times. Caterpillar C13 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KevinH said:

I just got back from a trip from Kansas City to California. Kansas City to Bakersfield I had no issues .  I refueled in Bakersfield within 50 miles of Bakersfield going upgrade. My coach started knocking on uphill grades. It wouldn’t function on cruise control anytime I was going uphill. I checked my air filter. I changed my fuel filters and I was 3 quarts low on my transmission fluid. it still did it every time I went upgrade.  I filled up in Reno on my way back home Within 50 miles of Reno it started running with no issues. And I had no issue the next 1600 miles. 
I assumed it was just the bio Diesel that I was filling up with in California . Mine never stalled out, but it came close several times. Caterpillar C13 

If your issues were fuel related, then I’d recommend double dosing the tank with Startron Starbrite.  That is the “miracle” cure.  It has helped out folks with fuel issues….Amazon has it….

I would want to know how the transmission display did on the shutdown. If it stayed on, probably not the ignition key or ignition solenoid. Shutdown with no codes sounds like loss of ignition signal or power to ECM, to me anyway. Maybe fuel shut off valve solenoid? I would think that would throw a low pressure code, don't know where it is on that motor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

I would want to know how the transmission display did on the shutdown. If it stayed on, probably not the ignition key or ignition solenoid. Shutdown with no codes sounds like loss of ignition signal or power to ECM, to me anyway. Maybe fuel shut off valve solenoid? I would think that would throw a low pressure code, don't know where it is on that motor.

If you have a faulty ignition switch, there are usually signs.  Like turning on the switch and something NOT booting up…like the Aladdin.  Also, if you “play” or jiggle or hold the switch to each side or top and try to start and you get something “out of the ordinary”, probably bad switch.  Change out is usually easy. You can use the search box and IGNITION SWITCH as key word.  Then click on EVERYWHERE.  The. Select TOPICS from the drop down.  All sorts of help.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I had a similar symptom but more severe - turned out to be the ignition relay.  Easy to swap, easier than replacing an ignition switch.  I swapped the ignition relay with the horn relay and everything was golden after that.  Of course, no horn but got replacements. 

- bob

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't be weighing in on this, because I'm not a mechanic and could be a little off on my recollection, but I experienced the exact same thing on my first Dynasty, a brand new1998 with what I think was an ISC (maybe ISB) engine. Running great, tooling down the road at cruise speed and the engine shut down. It did this maybe 4 or 5 times over a few month period.  It did this early in my ownership (while still "new"). I'll skip the various iterations of (unsuccessful) diagnostics and go to the successful diagnosis and solution. Cummins shop rep, over the phone, guessed without seeing the coach that it was probably a faulty fuel shutoff electromagnet that would "release", shutting off the fuel- essentially just stop the fuel flow- exactly as it would do with a "key off" condition. They replaced the component and problem was solved. 

• Like 4

i had mine shut down and all it needed was to drain water out of the fuel filter.  i just unscrewed the small screw in the bottom and let some water and diesel out for about a minute and it ran ok after that.  i called a friend who told me to do this and it worked.

I have a 2005 Dynasty, 400 ISL,  Same problems!   Running fine at various speeds, engine shuts off then back on by itself.   Changed ignition relay twice, Both fuel filters twice, Have run a truck load of fuel treatment through it, New Ignition switch.   Cummins Insite sees no codes,  I have had 3 people hook onto it and nothing.  Very nervous about taking trips!    No warning lights, stays in gear so I believe rolling actually starts it back up.  If it stops while idling, I have to restart with key.   Any thoughts 

11 minutes ago, Mroock said:

I have a 2005 Dynasty, 400 ISL,  Same problems!   Running fine at various speeds, engine shuts off then back on by itself.   Changed ignition relay twice, Both fuel filters twice, Have run a truck load of fuel treatment through it, New Ignition switch.   Cummins Insite sees no codes,  I have had 3 people hook onto it and nothing.  Very nervous about taking trips!    No warning lights, stays in gear so I believe rolling actually starts it back up.  If it stops while idling, I have to restart with key.   Any thoughts 

From far right field…. The J-1939 data buss connections.  The harness conneections from the RRB where the “start and such” come from to the engine.  I’d trace back the 12 VDC to both the ECM & TCM and check the harnesses for them…then follow that harness and check the connections there.

BUT…no Cummins code.  I THINK, you need to look at the prints, that there is a “FRB Ignition” relay.  if you are calling the solenoid up front the ignition “relay”…then you’ve got that covered.  I think of that up front device as a solenoid as it is carrying way in escess than a 30 amp Bosch 5 pin relay….It is energized when you turn the key on.  If the contacts or coil is bad,,,,then it could be failing….

Next up is thr fuel shutoff solenoid.  If it is intermittent…and engine is turning or trying to turn….then if it re-energizes….gets the KEEP running signal.

First thing I’d do…locate each solenoid.  Check the terminals on the solenoid.  Trace back the harness where it plugs in.  Plug and unplug a few times.  A loose connection is a tough critter to find…so you have to just keep checking.

• 4 weeks later...

When i first got my fathers Diplomat up in OR, while checking it out, noticed some of the relays in the fuse panels under drivers area were loose. Pushed them all back in and it fixed a few problems the coach was having. While we were driving it back to Oklahoma City, somewhere in NV after a fuel stop, it died right after we got up to speed on the highway. No warnings, no nothing, just no running engine. Coasted off the side of road and checked those fuse panels. Several had came loose like it was in OR. Pushed them all in and it fired right up. Started giving them a push at each fuel stop just for peace of mind. We didn't have any issues after that.