Need Info on Toll Road Passes

I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on toll road passes. I have a Sun Pass for Florida but would like to get one for when I am traveling elsewhere. I never go into the New England States and all my travel is below DC - PA, OH, KY, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, TN, etc.

Is there a toll road pass I can buy that covers all these areas ? Thanks everyone for your help.

EZ Pass will cover most of the country east coast

https://e-zpassiag.com/get-e-zpass

Would cost you a credit card on file, I don't remember if they charge for the transponder or not.

If you come to NY, try to avoid the BIG toll expenses of the bridges and tunnels of NY City. A rip off, I know, I leave here and there is no escap from the island unless you pay

Edited by Pampero

Looking at both websites I wonder how the "administrators" make their money. Get a commission on the collection or they jack up the price of the toll or they charge the user a "service" fee, and if they do the latter, if that service fee is different from one company to another one. Uhmmm?

5 minutes ago, Pampero said:

I just came back from NC; NJ Turnpike from Delaware to GW exit was $39.00 GW bridge $14.00, Throgs Neck $14,00, I spent over $250.00 in tolls; crazy.

Stay out of here.

I was in NYC once. Thankfully I didn't leave anything behind so have no reason to ever go back there again. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Paul A. said:

We obtained a I Pass from the state of Illinois in 2003. We registered our coach and toad tag information. We full timed from 2004 -2014. Never had a charge dispute and used it all over the U S. Only exception then was the Will Rogers Turnpike in Ok. 

Paul A

We have the I-Pass and the Sunpass and the combination has worked well for us. The I-Pass gets used the most on the bridge across the river in Louisville, Ky and of course we are down in Florida each winter and move the Sunpass from the motorhome to the toad.

Edited by Bob Nodine

More options than you can shake a stick at.

I'm going with Uni - One TollPass which is claimed to be accepted in 18 states. 
https://www.cfxway.com/uni/

How is Uni different from E-PASS or E-PASS Xtra?

Uni, initially launched as E-PASS Xtra, offers all the same benefits and features with newer, future-ready toll technologies.

E-PASS Xtra customers can be assured that your E-PASS Xtra will continue to work throughout 18 states and be fully supported as part of the E-PASS family of products.

Uni has recently replaced the E-PASS Portable as our portable transponder option within the E-PASS suite of products. Uni offers all the benefits of E-PASS Portable plus the added feature that Uni works throughout 18 states from Florida to Maine and west to Illinois.

E-PASS Portable customers can be assured that E-PASS Portable will continue to work throughout FL, GA and NC and will be fully supported by CFX.

Where can I use Uni?

Uni works on all toll roads and most bridges in 18 states:

• Florida
  • Maryland
  • Rhode Island
  • Indiana
  • Georgia
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • North Carolina
  • New Jersey
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Kentucky
  • Virginia
  • Pennsylvania
  • Maine
  • West Virginia
  • New York
  • Ohio

Plus, you can use your Uni to pay for parking at Orlando International Airport.

Uni is fully compatible with E-PASS, SunPass, LeeWay, PeachPass, NC QuickPass, E-ZPass, RiverLink, I-PASS and QuickPass toll systems.

Where can I get Uni?

Uni is available for order through E-PASS. Both new and existing E-PASS customers can get Uni:

1. Online here
    2. Via the E-PASS App, available for download on the App Store or Google Play Store
    3. By calling the E-PASS Customer Service Center at (407) 823-7277 or 1-800-353-7277, Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM – 11:30 PM and Saturday, 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM.
    4. At Amazon

Note: New E-PASS customers must first follow the steps to open an E-PASS account.

Make sure to have the following information on hand when opening your E-PASS account:

• Contact information
  • Email address
  • Driver’s license number
  • License plate number(s) and state where issued
  • Model/make/year/color of vehicle(s)
  • Credit/debit card to activate your account with a minimum of $10 in prepaid tolls
How much does Uni cost?

Uni costs $14.95, plus tax and $10 to activate your E-PASS prepaid toll account (unless you already have an E-PASS account with that minimum balance).

With Uni, there are no annual contracts or monthly account fees.

Edited by Moonwink
Confused by all the options available

We have the NC Quick Pass

Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass, You want the NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass Interior Transponder.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/resources/Pages/nc-quickpass-transponders.aspx

The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia

• 2 years later...

This old thread is relevant to my up coming trip to the NE where I will have to cross the Hudson over the Beacon bridge in NY.  It used to be so easy to just pay a bunch of cash at the booth but I guess that option is gone now and I guess I'll need some type of toll tag account as we won't be home or able to get toll by mail for 5 months.  Looking at E-Z pass application it seems to imply rv's MHM plan but 7000 lbs??? Reading the NC and CFX links is also very confusing as what to order to pay this one toll.  So what is current that works well to get the RV and toad across this bridge.  Should I unhook the toad and a transponder for each vehicle or stay connected and get hit for 5 axles?  Or what? Last time I was there in 2018 I paid a human at the booth and he billed me for 3 axles and then a regular car rate....much better than 5 axles.

Thanks for your experiences and suggestions.

32 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

This old thread is relevant to my up coming trip to the NE where I will have to cross the Hudson over the Beacon bridge in NY.  It used to be so easy to just pay a bunch of cash at the booth but I guess that option is gone now and I guess I'll need some type of toll tag account as we won't be home or able to get toll by mail for 5 months.  Looking at E-Z pass application it seems to imply rv's MHM plan but 7000 lbs??? Reading the NC and CFX links is also very confusing as what to order to pay this one toll.  So what is current that works well to get the RV and toad across this bridge.  Should I unhook the toad and a transponder for each vehicle or stay connected and get hit for 5 axles?  Or what? Last time I was there in 2018 I paid a human at the booth and he billed me for 3 axles and then a regular car rate....much better than 5 axles.

Thanks for your experiences and suggestions.

This goes way back….but the best one, from all the past experiences is the Illinois one.  We had many that did a lot of research and we compared and the consensus was IL…I got one in 2011 or so and have used it since then.  You can order over the phone or on line.  I suggest over the phone.  The transponder is NOT tied to any one vehicle.  You pay NADA for the transponder.  You put in a deposit and set it up with a CC to replenish.  I have went through 3 car changes.  Works all up and down the east coast.  I did find one spot way out west in Denver that it didn’t work in.  It  is the easiest…..and the tolls are based on the axles so it works in your car or MH or whatever. We have three other vehicles on it and just swap it around.

Be sure to tell the folks HOW many cars or vehicles you might use it in,  then they will send you more Velcro strips.  Some of the ones require a separate transponder for each vehicle.  NOPE…we have had folks that had issues with having multiple transponders (this goes way back).  I am in NC and use this one,  I had to get a FL one and it is about as easy,but you gotta pay for the transponder and then a replacement,  IL will replace the transponder when the batteries reach the end of their useful life.  Some folks never even mounted it, but I have a spot in all my vehicles….they just put it on the dash…

That”s my recommendation….I have driven the MH in all lower 48 and only had one place where it didn’t work….guess what….I never got a notice….I got tired of opening windows,  you use the express land and drive on….

1 hour ago, veraken said:

I have 2 transponders. One I keep in the MH and one in the toad. When towing, I put the toad transponder in its foil bag and put it in the glove box so that both are not charged $$. Five+ years and no problems.

Ditto (toad transponder in the foil bag), and both my transponders are UNI ones purchased online 2+ years ago and received by mail --  18 states on the eastern seaboard, except SC, and as bad as the roads are there, they wouldn't dare try to charge a toll.   We just got in yesterday from FL, and significant stretches of I-95 and I-26 have 4-5 inch deep potholes as big around as a garbage can lid.  apparently they spend all their tax money on the bigger cities and ignore the rest.  Greenville's new spaghetti junction at I-385 and I-85 is like the pride and joy of SCDOT I would suppose...

(Rant mode off) 

10 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I use that bridge to cross the Hudson each year on our way to Lake Ossipee in New Hampshire. I have the I-Pass and if I remember correctly, it costs about $10 to cross with 5 axles.

I looked up on the I-Pass website this morning to see exactly what I paid last May to cross that bridge with 5 axles, 3 for the coach and 2 for the car. it was $14.25 for the one-way crossing. They don't charge going east to west.

Thats exactly how I use my I-Pass.

Had to drive to Orlando International Airport twice with my car when my wife went to Thailand for a couple of months this winter. The toll pass worked great each time. Will use it in our coach while towing the car on our way north to New Hampshire this coming May.