Power Shades/Visors

New to me Camelot.  PO zip tied the shades up because they quit working.

both passenger and driver switches do absolutely nothing.   I have squinted all over the fuse diagram and cannot seem to identify the fuse or relay that I need to replace.   Anybody know offhand?

Welcome to Monacoers!

The power shades have a fuse/breaker in the front run bay (outside below the drivers feet).  It's on board 11, Fuse 4, 6 amps.  (Ours is a small breaker but some are fuses).  It powers both shades.  

The relay is in the Intelletec system fuse board (usually in the rear closet).  Should be Fuse 2, 5 amps. 

More than likely they are Carefree of Colorado shades and the motors are bad.  Try putting a voltmeter on the wires going to the shades.   

The shades are installed with 2 screws, one on each end.  Ours were square drive.  

If you need new shades, I purchased ours from PPL as they had the best price and fast shipping.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/entertainment-comfort-camping/sun-shade/shades-visors 

Edited by vito.a

6 hours ago, CapnDean said:

New to me Camelot.  PO zip tied the shades up because they quit working.

both passenger and driver switches do absolutely nothing.   I have squinted all over the fuse diagram and cannot seem to identify the fuse or relay that I need to replace.   Anybody know offhand?

As Vito says there should be a fuse or self resetting circuit breaker in the front run bay under the driver's window. Since we own a Diplomat and you own a Camelot I will not attempt to predict which fuse it is on your coach. What I will predict is that the fuse is blown. Both the driver's shade and the passenger's shade are powered by the same fuse but the passenger's shade has two control switches, oner for the driver and one for the passenger. If the driver and the passenger push their respective switch at the same time the fuse will be blown. After this happened to us twice I replaced the fuse with a self resetting circuit breaker. On our coach the fuse for the shades was a 5 amp but I could not find a 5 amp resetting breaker so used a 10 amp one. Here is a photo of the fuse on our coach. Notice the gold looking fuse next to the shade fuse. That is a self resetting breaker for the step cover and I replaced the shade fuse with one of those only it is 10 amps.

sunvisor fuse.jpg

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they are like ours, they are likely the kind that have the cigar shaped motor inside the tube.  When they stop working you replace the motor.  There should be two wires coming out the right end with an RF reciever in it .

Edited by Keith Moffett

Bingo on the cigar motors.  After much studying of  the panel I found a fuse labeled "Visor"  it was blown and the replacement fuse blew the second I attempted to operate the passenger shade.   After removing the assembly and cutting the wire -I stuck a good fuse in there and tested the wires....Got -13vdc when I selected up and +12vdc when I cycled down.  The fuse did not blow.    Two motors ordered and on the way.

• Like 1

Which of the issues mentioned would apply to my driver's side shade retracting slower than the passenger one. Additionally i have to push the switch, shade goes up a bit, stops and I have to release switch and re press several times to get the shade totally retracted. Any thoughts?

Jim McPheters 

08 Dip, 40 pdq

17 hours ago, jimmcpheters said:

Which of the issues mentioned would apply to my driver's side shade retracting slower than the passenger one. Additionally i have to push the switch, shade goes up a bit, stops and I have to release switch and re press several times to get the shade totally retracted. Any thoughts?

Jim McPheters 

08 Dip, 40 pdq

I would suspect the switch.

I see a lot of comments about the switch.  My blind on th e driver side would easily go down.  Multiple switch push or with hold and blind hand moves wold finally get a retract.  I switched the driver and passenger motors and concluded, the issue was the motor.  Could not find a replacement that fit anywhere.  

Eventually moved and taped wires and replaced tube motor and it works.  For how long???

Rich Cutler 06' Windsor 

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I took my rig for a drive the passenger side sun visor did not work.  The drivers side works so the fuse was good.  Today I removed the Sun Visor, which I believe is a Carefree Smart Visor 2001/2 vintage.    I tested the voltage up/down on the wires both good.  The terminals for the motor had gotten hot and melted, I bench tested the motor and doesn't work. 

Are replacement motors available?