Exhaust Systems

I was just out cleaning my coach and discovered the tail pipe is nearly rusted in half. I do not want to piece meal the exhaust so am looking for suggestions on a new muffler. I may have a stainless custom stainless exhaust made but will still need a muffler.

I know there are some newer type mufflers out there that enhance performance. Can ya'll suggest a muffler brand and supplier for me ? Thanks everyone.

21 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

I was just out cleaning my coach and discovered the tail pipe is nearly rusted in half. I do not want to piece meal the exhaust so am looking for suggestions on a new muffler. I may have a stainless custom stainless exhaust made but will still need a muffler.

I know there are some newer type mufflers out there that enhance performance. Can ya'll suggest a muffler brand and supplier for me ? Thanks everyone.

I had an Aero Turbine stainless muffler installed many years and miles ago and it's still in good shape; happy. They have a good reputation.

An experienced shop did the install. It was easy with no big problems, as I recall. They used a flexible pipe from the engine to muffler so no manufacturing needed. I watched.

Discussion on iRV2.

Gary K

06 Windsor

Chris,

I went back and did a search of the old Yahoo database...  Two names consistently came up: Aero Turbine and Magnadyne.

You can buy the Aero Turbine online on their website at https://aeroexhaust.com/ 

Bill D really liked the Aero Turbine, and claimed lower exhaust gas temps and a small performance increase but no appreciable increase in fuel mileage.  The Aero Turbine comes in two flavors: short ("Aero Turbine" - $125-140 depending on diameter) - with aggressive sound - and long ("Aero Turbine XL" - $160-180 depending on dimeter) with moderate sound.  Bill D recommended the XL with moderate sound. 

Some members had issues with the welds on the Aero Turbine cracking and the company not responding to or honoring the "lifetime warranty"

@georgecederholm is one of those who had the problem with cracks and went to the Magnadyne...  maybe he can weigh in.  I believe he got it from Summit Racing.

Hope that's useful info...

Scotty

• Thanks 1

I just did the exhaust on my 2001 HR Scepter. I reused the flanged pipe that attaches to the Pacbrake exhaust brake and had to order the associated v-band clamp from Pacbrake as I was unable to find it locally. I ordered most all of this plus some extra bits from Amazon as I wasn't 100% on how it would fit which I could easily return.

You may want to explore dynaflexproducts.com Excellent product catalogue. Largest U S A manufacturer of Class 8 truck exhaust components. I went with a Resonator on my ISX 525 then went straight pipe. Great improvement in performance and fuel economy. intakehoses.com is an excellent source for intake components that are used on class 8 trucks, as well as clamps.

Edited by Paul A.

10 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

I know what straight pipe means, I was just a little surprised to hear about one on a diesel motorhome. Is it very loud? Legal in all states?

Just curious; sounds intriguing!

Jim

The decibel point can be a issue for some. Not as loud as 6" dual straight pipes on a class 8 truck. Engine operating temperature definitely affected due to no back pressure. Had no problem 10 years full timing. 

53 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

I know what straight pipe means, I was just a little surprised to hear about one on a diesel motorhome. Is it very loud? Legal in all states?

Just curious; sounds intriguing!

Jim

send me your email address in a text to; 414 899 5800 and i will send you some more info on what i did and the results. It may be judged as getting off subject a little here and i don't want to offend anyone. 

8 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Chris,

I went back and did a search of the old Yahoo database...  Two names consistently came up: Aero Turbine and Magnadyne.

You can buy the Aero Turbine online on their website at https://aeroexhaust.com/ 

Bill D really liked the Aero Turbine, and claimed lower exhaust gas temps and a small performance increase but no appreciable increase in fuel mileage.  The Aero Turbine comes in two flavors: short ("Aero Turbine" - $125-140 depending on diameter) - with aggressive sound - and long ("Aero Turbine XL" - $160-180 depending on dimeter) with moderate sound.  Bill D recommended the XL with moderate sound. 

Some members had issues with the welds on the Aero Turbine cracking and the company not responding to or honoring the "lifetime warranty"

@georgecederholm is one of those who had the problem with cracks and went to the Magnadyne...  maybe he can weigh in.  I believe he got it from Summit Racing.

Hope that's useful info...

Scotty

Scotty,

Good call on the Yahoo search. Yes, I had weld issues with the AeroTurbine and did replace it with a "MagnaFlow".

I had the AeroTurbine 5050XL installed at Bill D's suggestion in early 2007 by Brazel's at the Indio FMCA rally. It was $535 installed. By early 2009, I noticed cracks in the inlet weld. With a "lifetime warranty" on the Aero, I tried to get a replacement but the Great Recession intervened and the manufacturer ghosted me. With a little research, I found the MagnaFlow with the same specs (30"L, 24" body with 7" diameter, 5" inlet and outlet) and bought it from Summit Racing for $156.90. I did the change myself, and replaced one of the muffler hangers at the same time.

I've had no issues with the MagnaFlow and never really put much stock in the performance aspects of the Aero, so I haven't made any changes since. I still have the old Aero, so maybe I should poke at the manufacturer now that the economy is humming. 😉

In regards to the straight pipe, there recently was a post in the FB group asking about this.  Several coach owners have done it and shared videos w sound.  

When I noticed the muffler rusting on my coach, I pulled it off, and before deciding what to replace it with, I drove it up the road with just the open pipe.
Even with the pipe ending underneath the coach, the sound increase was barely noticeable from the driver's seat.
I ended up replacing my entire system and running a straight pipe section in place of the muffler.
Outside the coach at idle it is noticeably louder, but not obnoxiously so, especially considering the inherent diesel clatter normally present.
If you go back in the bedroom while pulling a hill, you definitely hear the increased sound, but who's going to try to sleep on top of the motor anyway?

I got all the parts for mine from a local truck supply house, though you can probably find it all online now.
The hardest part was matching up the V-Band flange that connects to the Pac-brake.

6 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

When I noticed the muffler rusting on my coach, I pulled it off, and before deciding what to replace it with, I drove it up the road with just the open pipe.
Even with the pipe ending underneath the coach, the sound increase was barely noticeable from the driver's seat.
I ended up replacing my entire system and running a straight pipe section in place of the muffler.
Outside the coach at idle it is noticeably louder, but not obnoxiously so, especially considering the inherent diesel clatter normally present.
If you go back in the bedroom while pulling a hill, you definitely hear the increased sound, but who's going to try to sleep on top of the motor anyway?

I got all the parts for mine from a local truck supply house, though you can probably find it all online now.
The hardest part was matching up the V-Band flange that connects to the Pac-brake.

So why can't we just reuse the V-Band flange we have?

9 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I can always tell when someone idles through the campground without a muffler and it is always annoying.  The idea that it is not is laughable.

I don't know what i hate more, the dog toilet on my site or the noise. At least the noise is short lived and NO clean up needed.

19 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I can always tell when someone idles through the campground without a muffler and it is always annoying.  The idea that it is not is laughable.

The sound level difference at idle, standing next to the tailpipe on my coach, between having the muffler and not is about the same as walking 10 feet farther away from the coach.  The most noticeable detail is you can hear a hint of turbo whine. The turbo itself muffles much of the exhaust sound. 

If that's enough to really bother someone, they should be able to find something more important to worry themselves about. 😉

12 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

The sound level difference at idle, standing next to the tailpipe on my coach, between having the muffler and not is about the same as walking 10 feet farther away from the coach.  The most noticeable detail is you can hear a hint of turbo whine. The turbo itself muffles much of the exhaust sound. 

If that's enough to really bother someone, they should be able to find something more important to worry themselves about. 😉

I’m not sure annoying people at IDLE is the real problem...

My life would be a lot more pleasant if all the cowboys around here with their stupid open pickup exhaust were only IDLING past my house. 
Maybe I should find something more important to worry myself about 

Cheers

Walter

5 hours ago, wamcneil said:

I’m not sure annoying people at IDLE is the real problem...

My life would be a lot more pleasant if all the cowboys around here with their stupid open pickup exhaust were only IDLING past my house. 
Maybe I should find something more important to worry myself about 

Cheers

Walter

That referred to the previous post about idling through a campground. LOL

Gasoline engines are a lot louder than turbo-diesels, and yes, the jokers who run straight pipes on their everyday cars and trucks, and especially Harleys, can be annoying, especially when they're starting them up before dawn every morning.

All my truly LOUD cars are either race-only, or occasional toys which are rarely, if ever, driven in the early or late hours.  I do prefer to get along with my neighbors. 😄

• Thanks 1