Ride height control valve

Ideas please: I placed my 2001 Monaco Diplomat inside a building after driving from Michigan to Naples.  It is plugged in but no A/C on as it is in a building and an overhead door gets opened often by the owner. A week or so later the owner let me know the coach was leaning left.  I called my usual service provided in Michigan and he explained the culprit was the "ride height control valve."  He offered advice.

I would like your opinions to verify and compare to his opinions.  One of his opinions was "to leave it for now.  Air the coach up and leave in May and see if the issue continues, as it may just be stuck."   Another opinion was to take it out now and see.  I explained that getting into this storage spot involved inches....and I would prefer not having to move it now.

So.... your ideas please.  I can move it a few feet up and back, buy taking it out is touchy.  Btw, incidentally, I have 137,000 miles on it and Cummins services all under the floor regularly. Cummins did extensive work in 2018 snd said it was a 9 of 10 then under the floor.  $15,000 bill that I was happy to pay.

Ernie Maier

248 789-5809

2001 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Silverado

Leave it for now..  the air systems leak down over time sometimes lean left or right.  The ride height control valves mostly all of sudden just quit working and wont air up the left or right or in the front.   Most good truck HD repair shops can fix them..  Good luck

• Like 1

Ernie,

the best thing to do is dump all the air and let it settle on the stops in the air bags. This way you get no lean or twist on chassis. Once it warms up, then I would address the problem. It would be a shame if the coach leaked down on one side and was damaged by leaning into the wall of your storage unit. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis

I don't think it is your ride height valve because it's parked .   The ride height valves are just as the name implies, when you are riding or ready to.

Another part of the system takes over when you shut it down,  if you have air leveling it is most likely a leak in the rear 6 pack valves.

If it takes a while to lean to one side ( days ) don't fret about it,  just dump when you store it .

Edited by Ray Davis

All of these air ride coaches (and trucks) have air leaks.  Over the years the air leaks get worse as dirt and corrosion takes its toll.  Your air ride height valves may or may not be bad, but you cannot tell unless the air system is fully pressurized and the coach is in the travel mode.  Leaning after sitting for a week is actually pretty good. 

It takes lots of hours of dedicated work to make a coach completely leak free.  It's like searching for the Holly Grail.  I doubt you will find a shop that will go to this extent or expense to repair your air ride system.  If it pumps up fairly fast and stays pumped up at least overnight you are doing great.  

Enjoy your coach.

Hi Ernie,

Is  your couch leaning just in the back or the front too? the reason for my question is the front steering axle and drive axle each have a ride height control valve, none on the tag axle. Each ride height control valve has a single air supply. the output from the control valve branches to all the air bags for that axle. 

you may want to start your engine and see if it will build any air pressure, don't need to move it just run the engine. 

the picture is the ride height control valve. The valve is attached to the frame and the rod is attached to the axle. 

Vince Toscano

20201127_164804.jpg

• Thanks 1

Dump all air. Forget about it for the Winter. When you start it next spring it will air up and be fine. Leaking air is a normal part of Motorhome ,bus and Truck ownership.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ERNIEMA said:

Ideas please: I placed my 2001 Monaco Diplomat inside a building after driving from Michigan to Naples.  It is plugged in but no A/C on as it is in a building and an overhead door gets opened often by the owner. A week or so later the owner let me know the coach was leaning left.  I called my usual service provided in Michigan and he explained the culprit was the "ride height control valve."  He offered advice.

I would like your opinions to verify and compare to his opinions.  One of his opinions was "to leave it for now.  Air the coach up and leave in May and see if the issue continues, as it may just be stuck."   Another opinion was to take it out now and see.  I explained that getting into this storage spot involved inches....and I would prefer not having to move it now.

So.... your ideas please.  I can move it a few feet up and back, buy taking it out is touchy.  Btw, incidentally, I have 137,000 miles on it and Cummins services all under the floor regularly. Cummins did extensive work in 2018 snd said it was a 9 of 10 then under the floor.  $15,000 bill that I was happy to pay.

Ernie Maier

248 789-5809

2001 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Silverado

My 2000 Diplomat did the same thing after being left parked for a year or so without being moved. The problem was caused by the rubber link that attached the ride height linkage to the chassis having perished. I resolved it by replacing all 3 linkages with stainless steel Rose joints, threaded rod and stand-offs.

A word of caution, anytime you are working with your air bag suspension, don't be under your coach. the whole coach could come down. likely there is not enough room between the floor and your coach. Make sure your coach is supported or over a pit!!!

Each axle has 4 air bags except the tag axle. there is one ride height control valve per axle, drive and steering, except the tag does not have a ride height control valve. the tag axle has just a pressure regulator, this is to balance the load distribution. 

In the picture above is the drive axle. On the right side of the picture is the drive axle differential, the round or ball shape. next to the differential is the connection to ride height control valve. If you follow this connection to the ride height control valve what you see next is a black tubing, this is the single air supply to the axle valve. The green tubing from the ride height valve goes to the air bags for drive axle. the same configuration is also for the steering axle. the colors for the tubing may be different for your coach but the configuration is the same.

I would start your coach and let it build air pressure and listen for leaks as you go around your coach. I would not move your coach until you know that it is level. this will cause real drivability issues. 

Is your coach listing on one side or is it the back or front? 

Vince Toscano

11 hours ago, Vince Toscano said:

Hi Ernie,

Is  your couch leaning just in the back or the front too? the reason for my question is the front steering axle and drive axle each have a ride height control valve, none on the tag axle. Each ride height control valve has a single air supply. the output from the control valve branches to all the air bags for that axle. 

you may want to start your engine and see if it will build any air pressure, don't need to move it just run the engine. 

the picture is the ride height control valve. The valve is attached to the frame and the rod is attached to the axle. 

Vince Toscano

20201127_164804.jpg

If it leans at one end, it better be leaning at the other too. LOL

There are three ride height valves, one on each side at the rear and one in the front.
Side to side leveling is controlled entirely by the rear suspension.

Vince is right.
In fact, you should NEVER get under a coach while it is supported by air suspension or hydraulic jacks.
Get 2 pair of appropriately rated jack stands, and ALWAYS place them under a strong point on the frame before crawling underneath.
It breaks my heart every time I hear of someone being killed underneath their coach.

• Like 1

I have recently seen an American Dream that was left parked with airbags inflated and a major leak in manifold connection to a line to front left airbag. The air manifold was on the outside of firewall and did not look anything like our six packs. The driver side front dropped all the way down and a long windshield crack was next. Assuming you are on a level ground in the storage, I'd say again, dump the air and forget it until it's time to get going again. 

Guest Ray Davis
20 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I have recently seen an American Dream that was left parked with airbags inflated and a major leak in manifold connection to a line to front left airbag. The air manifold was on the outside of firewall and did not look anything like our six packs. The driver side front dropped all the way down and a long windshield crack was next. Assuming you are on a level ground in the storage, I'd say again, dump the air and forget it until it's time to get going again. 

Ivan is right, I guess we were all assuming he is on fairly level ground but he may not be. In that case for storage I think he should get it level with 2x12 boards under        the low wheels until level , then dump the air.  Dumping on unlevel ground can twist the coach especially if one corner / wheel is low or high.           

Ray, you are correct. Pictures would certainly help. We jump in with suggestions as if they pertain to every situation and someone in a similar situation may break a windshield or worse thinking it's the proper way to correct their issue. My responses are usually predicated on level surfaces and sunny skies....Dennis

Thank you one and all. I will print all of them and reread each.  Been too busy reading and watching for the next answer to respond.  In the old days I would have just phoned Bill Duckwitz. In this case I read and phoned and may phone more....   Just good to know the issue is not catastrophic.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..

I have the same problem, only mine will leak down in a matter of hours.  We'd wake up in the morning and be left nose down every time.  I've resolved it by tapping into the air system through the port on the bottom of my air tank.  I use quick-connect fittings and an air hose to a pancake compressor that I bring with me everywhere I go.  I keep it in the bay just behind the fuel/propane bay and the noise when it runs is quite minimal inside the coach.  So long as you put your leveling system in sleep mode properly (leveling with ignition on) it will keep your coach level for as long as the compressor has power.  You can level the coach with the ignition off, however, it won't automatically level itself as air bleeds down.  I doubt it's you ride-height valves unless the coach refuses to level when in travel mode.

Ernie, next time you're in for service, have the tech spend an hour testing all your air fittings. It'll be money well spent. I bet you'll be surprised at how many minor leaks you have. Most are fixed by simply tightening the connector. My guess is you've either got a leaky air bag or simply leaking fittings leading to that bag...let us know the outcome...Dennis

• Thanks 1