Tv with variable audio out

I want to revamp my sound system to simplify, the key being a TV with variable analog audio output. I will run that into a power amp, so instead of a separate remote for the receiver volume, I can just use the TV remote. The loss of fidelity will hopefully not be huge.

Current TV is a Samsung 40” model UN40J6200 which claims to have variable audio out but that was a false advertisement. I love my Samsung but not sure if the new ones still have variable audio out. Also price and size is a definite consideration for this project. 

Bonus points if a brand has a Blu-ray player that would also run from the same remote! (And NO, I am NOT interested in programmable remotes, already discussed in a previous thread, not going there).

"

Inputs & Outputs
HDMI Connections2

USB2

Ethernet (LAN)1

Component1

Composite In (AV)1 (Common Use for Component Y)

Terrestrial / RF input1/1(Common Use for Terrestrial)

Digital Audio Out (Optical)1

Audio Out (Mini Jack)1

RS232C1"

Can't you connect a minijack to RCA jack cable and use the Audio Out minijack?  since that is there to drive headphones, it will be volume controllable.

Does your audio system support Audio Return Channel (ARC)?  If so, your Samsung probably has ARC.  Make sure your HDMI cable supports ARC, too.  You may have to look at some settings in the TV, Audio system, or both.  You should be able to set it up so that the TV remote will control the speakers.

I have a smart Vizio D32F-G1 which is a 32". Great bang for the buck. I believe it is also made in 40". It has variable output line level rca jacks for audio output. The output follows the normal volume control from the remote. Also, the tv internal speakers can be turned off in setup. The dislike are the small text on screen for tv info such as channel showing info and the lack of an OTA show listing guide. I also have a brand new to me Sony XBR43X800H, which has a headphone out jack, I have yet to connect to it so can't speak for operation.

4 hours ago, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

Ivan K

what brand and model tv did you buy for your outside entertainment center

I got an Insignia Fire Tv 32" for the outside couple of years ago.  Mainly because of built in BT and headset Jack. The BT turned out to only work with a headset, not a speaker for reasons I don't understand. So I have a tiny BT transmitter in the headset jack for speaker at a picnic table or wherever. I do like the voice commands, works great even with my accent, hehe 

1 hour ago, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

Thanks Brent I will research the specs on the Vizio

Larry, feel free to ask questions about either tv. I've had the Vizio for about a year and the Sony - I am just discovering.

Larry,

I have a Vizio D39F-E1. It’s a 39” smart TV that has several optical out modes, and definitely has variable RCA jack out (you can switch the RCA jacks between fixed and variable). 

Its a 2018 model, and you can find them for about $200 on Amazon or Best Buy.  

https://support.Vizio.com/s/article/D39f-E1-Model-Information-1?language=en_US

On 1/24/2021 at 12:40 PM, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

I want to revamp my sound system to simplify,...

Current TV is a Samsung 40” model UN40J6200 ...,

Bonus points if a brand has a Blu-ray player that would also run from the same remote! (And NO, I am NOT interested in programmable remotes, already discussed in a previous thread, not going there).

If you replace the amp with a Samsung home theater, the Samsung TV remote will control both systems seamlessly (when linked via the HDMI cable). Samsung calls this “AnyNet”, but it works over a standard HDMI based communication protocol called HDMI-CEC. 

Both units turn on/off together, and the tv automatically knows audio is being handled by the home theater unit. 
I’ve got a Samsung compact ‘home theater in a box’ Blu-ray (HT-H4500 I think?) with Samsung TV. It all works very smoothly together. This setup worked with the 10-yr old (NOT-smart) Samsung TV that came with the motorhome and also the new one I replaced it with last Black Friday 
I believe you can get some (if not all) of that functionality through standard HDMI-CEC interface between various brands of components, but I've never tried it personally. It may be easier and more transparent between a Samsung TV and other Samsung components. 
Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

It’s been about 4 yr since I’ve looked at them. At that time there was very little selection in compact home-theater-in-a-box. Samsung was about the only one I could find that would fit my cabinet, 

I think Samsung discontinued them tho... Might be able to find a used one cheap on eBay without the speakers and reuse yours. 
Cheers

Walter