Heat (furnace) help

I pulled my coach out of storage today after a pretty solid pretrip  I got are going down the interstate to warm her up. 

My question is when driving down the road and switching the thermostat to furnace it should use the engine heat to heat the aqua hot which in turn heats the coach correct? 

It's 34゚ here the coach never really got above 180 Degrees going down the road. When I turned the thermostats to furnace lukewarm air was blowing out of the vents for a while. 

Then everything just stopped no cold air no warm air blowing out of events is that more of a blower problem or thermostat issue.  The coach never really warmed up to temperature so I don't think they shut off As desired temperature was never reach.

Why did it stop blowing?

I didnt have a manual so thanks, I didnt try it on diesel yet that's next. Both thermostats were on set to furnace. It was blowing and getting warm from the engine heat or at least I think it was, then stopped blowing altogether.

Does the engine preheat switch need to be turned on to heat the aqua hot via engine coolant?

Edited by Romeo84

Make certaing the engine

Pre heat switch is Off 

After starting the engine.

The engine water 💧 coolant pump system circulates the heated fluid.

I always keep my diesel Burner on also when traveling. Letting the thermostat do its job.

Very little fluid actually circulates and when its cold out, like below 30 or 40. You need the burner.

Also,  check your fuses, especially if something QUITE WORKING 

Just turn your burner on.

Edited by John Haggard
  • Thanks 1

From the owners manual:

Engine Heat Exchange System:
When traveling, the water pump on the engine circulates heated engine coolant
through the Aqua-Hot. Through convection, heat transfers to the Aqua-Hot
coolant, providing hot water and interior heating. Use the Comfort Control to
operate the heat exchangers.
To Use the System:
• Turn on the interior house power.
• Set the Comfort Controls to Furnace.
• Select the desired Zone and Temperature.

Also, ours has a rocker switch next to the driver that must be turned on.  

You can download a soft copy of your owners manual for performing quick searches.  The 2000 is not listed but a 2001 manual will work fine.

Monaco RV Owners Manuals (monacocoach.com)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vito.a said:

From the owners manual:

Engine Heat Exchange System:
When traveling, the water pump on the engine circulates heated engine coolant
through the Aqua-Hot. Through convection, heat transfers to the Aqua-Hot
coolant, providing hot water and interior heating. Use the Comfort Control to
operate the heat exchangers.
To Use the System:
• Turn on the interior house power.
• Set the Comfort Controls to Furnace.
• Select the desired Zone and Temperature.

Also, ours has a rocker switch next to the driver that must be turned on.  

You can download a soft copy of your owners manual for performing quick searches.  The 2000 is not listed but a 2001 manual will work fine.

Monaco RV Owners Manuals (monacocoach.com)

Hi Vito

Does your manual say that the rocker switch next to your seat has to be on ???

What switch is it next to your seat ?

Your manual that you posted says the same as mine.

The engine water pump circulates the heated coolant. 

35 minutes ago, redstickbill said:

Kind of dumb question, but did you have the Aqua-Hot zone fans on?, and have you tried closing and reopening the zone valves?

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Intersting.. I thought the fan speeds were automatic. 

Have not tried cycling the valves. Tomorrow when I go back that may be an option. 

The rocker switch next to the seat is most likely the engine pre heat for cold temp starting of engine. Has nothing to do with interior heating of coach.  What model of Aqua Hot? The manual I posted above is for the AHE 100-01S and AHE 200-02S. The manual covers both models. I believe they used these models in 2000-2002 coaches. They also used Hydro Hot for this vintage of coach. Need more info from OP to give more precise info.

• Thanks 1

Ryan,

Hydro hot will override coach heating when demand for hot water is excessive. Water heating takes priority. It shuts down zone pumps for interior heat until the boiler fluid reaches a set point. If diesel burner is on and operational, it reaches the set temperature then activates zone pumps for interior heating. Just driving in cold weather for a short period of time with the diesel burner off will most likely not heat the boiler fluid enough to reach set temp to activate zone pumps. Also, some Hydro Hot boilers do not have the engine pre heat feature. The Aqua Hot models do not have the override feature for interior heat. Once boiler fluid reaches set temp, zone pumps and fans will activate. The Aqua Hot’s all have the engine preheat feature as far as I know. This is my understanding of the differences between the two. If anyone else has more knowledge of the differences between the two, please chime in. Hope this helps.

Ryan

On a trip west in November  and it was Cold! Had to go to Winnipeg to pick up a pool for the house, turn the big rocker switch on to turn the aqua hot on (located in my 99) on the cabinet above the sink, boiler fired, nice clean smoke from exhaust, went back in the house (did not turn) anything else on, I always let the boiler reach operating temperature first. Went back in turned on engine heat(located) drivers side, then turn on each zone for heat, went back in the house had coffee. Hour later , back in coach, turn the key engine already warm, coach warm.

Arrived in Winnipeg, turn coach off, go to sleep in park (hooked up to shore power)woke up in the morning coach is not blowing hot and Aqua hot not firing up.

In the manual that was sent to you explains where the fuse panel is "in" the aqua hot unit, sure enough pulled the cover off and fuse was blown for the "ignition" to fire the unit.

Caution - read the manuals,  there is low/ high voltage in there especially if your hooked up to shore power.

Such a simple thing - fuse ! Now what caused it not sure yet, will find out next month when I fire everything back up.

Good luck

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

It's all a matter of BTU heat transfer and outside temperature.  If below 40 DF outside, even with 2 electric heating coils, the coach will struggle to maintain 70 DF inside.  The best solution below 40 DF outside is to run the Aquahot on diesel.  The engine coolant heating  basically doesn't do much better than the dual electric heating elements.  In warm weather it's fine but not in cold weather.  When outside temps are below 40 DF I run my aquahot on diesel even when driving down the road.

Frank is correct.  We have two Engine Heat rocker switches next to the driver.  One is Block Heat which turns the 110V block heater outlet on.  The other is Engine Heat which turns on the pump to circulate Aqua Hot water through the block to warm it.  

1 minute ago, vito.a said:

Frank is correct.  We have two Engine Heat rocker switches next to the driver.  One is Block Heat which turns the 110V block heater outlet on.  The other is Engine Heat which turns on the pump to circulate Aqua Hot water through the block to warm it.  

Both to be OFF before starting engine.