Has anyone added monitors, usb ports, 12 vdc ports above dash?

woodylmiller

My rear view camera is not working most of the time, as soon as I start rolling.  The current monitor is small and outdated.  The factory 12 vdc, cigarette lighter style ports are too loose to be of any value, we put tooth picks along with our plugs to get them to maintain contact.  So, a remodel is in order.  Trouble is my dash does not have much real estate to work with.  I had a Pioneer double din radio put in, that doesn't pick up any radio stations 99% of the time while in motion, so that can go away.  My current monitor and radio are mounted in the dash one above the other.  I want to install a 10 monitor, quad screen.  At least two usb ports and two 12 vdc ports.  The current location of my monitor is low and very hard to see, basically the monitor sucks.  I'd like to make a small cabinet, for lack of a better word, to hold these add-ons that would sit on top of my dash.  We also have a TPMS that needs a home as well and would be part of this cabinet.  Would love to see some pics of how and where anyone has put a large monitor on top of their dash.  Also, any recommendations on a new rear view camera/monitor?  Looking at a FooKoo, 10 inch quad and four cameras.  I don't need new cameras except for the rear view.  I have removed  the housing of the rear view camera and there is not much room in there, but something should be able to fit in there with IR for night vision. 

One other thing, I would like to use a wired camera/monitor.  I have read where the wireless systems do not function well at highway speeds.  Any truth to these rumors?  

Thanks, Woody

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Well, not sure if this helps. 

I just finished this up. The 10” Boss deck is single Din floating. It will do 2 cameras. It has 2 USB ports, one for Apple/android voice control. The other port just does charging. 

the IPad mini is a Gen 5, there is an adapter (Tadi bros? I’d have to look it up) and you can have 4 cameras on in run at the same time. Not sure if you’d have to update all cameras. I kinda torn between adding more cameras or not. Beauty of the iPad is you can take it with you, which I do for off-road maps. Phone and iPad held with RAM mounts 

This my start, and will add along the way 

FCBA515A-2D62-44FC-92B7-2C1519E0D8E7.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow
Added content

Here’s my current setup, which is still evolving…. Left to right: TireMinder TPMS (running on an old iPhone 6, soon to be replaced), 10” 4:3  Eyoyo monitor - divided into three screens, rear, left, and right cameras. Garmin RV780 GPS unit. Below and to the right, original Weldex screen showing Aladdin engine data full time, and to the off to the right of that (not in picture), Pioneer double-din stereo. 

All of the dash mounted equipment is using Ram mounts.  Most ideas shamelessly stolen from @pwhittle  

it took some trial and error to get things positioned low enough so they don’t distract from my road vision but also high enough so they don’t cover any dash gauges. 

Next project is to replace the failing Weldex with an 8” 4:3 Eyoyo monitor and rear camera control switch…

16D51FFB-E24E-4DC3-A5F2-EA5DF2A66534.thumb.jpeg.9ac9986f733fed41a8d4ef4effcd6b99.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Here’s my current setup, which is still evolving…. Left to right: TireMinder TPMS (running on an old iPhone 6, soon to be replaced), 10” 4:3  Eyoyo monitor - divided into three screens, rear, left, and right cameras. Garmin RV780 GPS unit. Below and to the right, original Weldex screen showing Aladdin engine data full time, and to the off to the right of that (not in picture), Pioneer double-din stereo. 

All of the dash mounted equipment is using Ram mounts.  Most ideas shamelessly stolen from @pwhittle  

it took some trial and error to get things positioned low enough so they don’t distract from my road vision but also high enough so they don’t cover any dash gauges. 

Next project is to replace the failing Weldex with an 8” 4:3 Eyoyo monitor and rear camera control switch…

16D51FFB-E24E-4DC3-A5F2-EA5DF2A66534.thumb.jpeg.9ac9986f733fed41a8d4ef4effcd6b99.jpeg

While I appreciate eyes on the road, your set up would be hard for me. 

Covered a piece of plywood and fashioned brackets.  Front brackets go to screws of windshield defogger registers; rear brackets to top screws of center console.  there's a 3 position 12vDC outlet suspended from each front corner.  Laptop runs Street Atlas and VMSpc.  If I ever want remove it, dash top remains completely stock.want to

image.png.ebd3a937182b93baefd63a5d7d871c9d.png

image.png.d01a6846a8c93eec1783eabc94667802.png

I know I need to straighten up the cables, haven't got there yet but it needs to be done.

You can also take out the 12v lighter sockets and replace. Did so on my boat and will do on the coach 

Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof 12V/24V USB Outlet QC 3.0 Dual Charger Socket with Touch Switch DIY Kit for Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PNLMDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5V1F14JBVBEZ145GZCB6

50 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

You can also take out the 12v lighter sockets and replace. Did so on my boat and will do on the coach 

Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof 12V/24V USB Outlet QC 3.0 Dual Charger Socket with Touch Switch DIY Kit for Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PNLMDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5V1F14JBVBEZ145GZCB6

Those could work in a variety of places - bedroom, dinette, couch, galley, etc.  There's a version with a built in voltmeter, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PTZ17NS/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp

- bob

Thanks guys.  We all seem to be on the same page.  I have ordered/recv'd those usb/12 vdc ports, 4 each.  Haven't pulled the trigger on the new monitor/camera yet.  Currently making a cardboard mockup to get the approval from my co-pilot and DW.  The profile of the monitor has me stumped for the moment, like Scotty said, low enough to see over, but up enough to see the guages.   Thanks.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

• 4 months later...

In my RV, I use waze for maps at the moment and mount my cell phone to the driver's side window with a suction mount. I have a 10' power cord that I run to a Sig-lighter style outlet in the middle of the dash; it's at a convenient eye level without blocking mirror or view ahead.  Not the most elegant solution but it's temporary until I can get around to upgrading to a GPS.  I, too, have the same problem with my factory back-up camera. and would like to replace it with a hardwired unit.

• 1 year later...

Keep in mind one of the best and easiest means of mounting your equipment is to get a thin sheet of scrap aluminum, trace your design, then have it water jetted. My dash bezel was broken where Monaco didn't leave enough room along the edges for the screws. I traced the design on the aluminum and had it water jetted. Some glue to attach the plastic bezel to the aluminum, drill the holes and perfect fit, tight and solid. I also used it when I swapped out the factory GPS unit for the Garmin 680. You can peruse my blog at Executive45.com if you're interested....Dennis

• Like 1