Power cuts out 2004 Monaco Diplomat

dirtydeeds

Here’s as much info as I can think of:

When hooked to 110v shore power 20amp breaker, if I try to run two of the 3 roof top air conditioners, something ‘pops’. It’s not the inverter. It’s not the breaker for either A/c, it’s not the shore power breaker. 

The RV has an Intelletec  panel which loses power completely. The display goes completely off. I can’t find where the breaker is to the panel. Even the owners manual doesn’t say anything. 

abybody have any experience with this?

BDB8445D-9ED9-41EE-A6C3-C8B00D85D640.jpeg

Guest Jester1

Pretty sure you have to have 50 amps for these coaches. It is very hard on the transfer switch and inverter. Had to replace my inverter because I didn’t pay attention and plugged into a 30amp and tried it.

The “pop” is the Intellitec system doing what it’s designed to do - manage the load.  It has a relay at each AC unit and if the total coach power exceeds 20A (assuming you have it set to 20A and not the default 30A), it turns off one of the ACs to keep from overloading the shore power system. 

Even if set to 30A, it will likely shed load when the second AC comes on.  Each AC unit typically uses about 14A, so just normal lights, etc, plus 1 AC unit will run on 20A, but add a second AC and you blow through both 20A and 30A, so it sheds load. 

The Intellitec is controlled by a board usually located in the breaker panel. 

Hope that’s helpful. 

• Like 1

You also need to check to see if you have a Todd/Toddco black color power transfer switch.  If you do, you need to unplug your coach from Any shore power.  Monaco had a recall on that PTS because it will cause a fire in your coach.  Since Monaco is no longer in business, the cost of replacement is on you.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

2 hours ago, Jester1 said:

Pretty sure you have to have 50 amps for these coaches. It is very hard on the transfer switch and inverter. Had to replace my inverter because I didn’t pay attention and plugged into a 30amp and tried it.

Your inverter is not in the circuit (unless rewired) ought the A/Cs.  The shore power goes through the transfer signal to the main breaker panel and then thru the individual circuit breaker for the A/C.  You don't need an inverter for A/C.

When hooked to any shore power that is less than 30 amps, you need to push the button at the bottom of the Intellitec display that says "30/20 Select".

Then you need to go to your Inverter Setup and choose the LOWEST setting for battery charge rate. This will allow the most use of the small amount of amps available to use inside the coach.

However, even a 20 amp service will not allow you to use a full 20 amps.

One AC will use over 15 amps to start up unless you have Soft Starts installed in your AC's and when running it should be about 13 amps.

To run TWO AC's you need a minimum of 30 amps with Soft Starts installed.

Edited by Dr4Film

Pretty simple: 20 amps is barely enough to run a kettle. Trying to run 3 aircons on 20 amps is insane. A little basic electric knowledge is essential. There is a chart in the manual that explains this concept.

Edited by Rick A
  • Like 2

You must like your inside ice cold..  I haven't seen a Diplomat of 2004 vintage with 3 roof A/C's.  I know this modification can be done but the original system isn't set up for 3 roof A/C's.  You need 50 Amps for 2 roof top A/C's to run full on.